SPOILERS HERE - StarWars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Post Viewing Extravaganza - SPOILERS HERE

Comments

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    And assuming the fall didn't kill Phasma because of her super armor (loved the blaster shot off it) and her general bad ass nature, didn't Holdo Ram into her ship at hyper speed like twenty minutes later? Phasma is probably dead, but look, they brought Darth Maul back after hacking him in half, and Leia is the new host of Space Ghost coast to coast so anything is possible.

Holdo rammed into the ship before Phasma fell, that's why everything was on fire and such

• @DontCallMeKelso said:

@Cliff_Forster said:
    And assuming the fall didn't kill Phasma because of her super armor (loved the blaster shot off it) and her general bad ass nature, didn't Holdo Ram into her ship at hyper speed like twenty minutes later? Phasma is probably dead, but look, they brought Darth Maul back after hacking him in half, and Leia is the new host of Space Ghost coast to coast so anything is possible.

Holdo rammed into the ship before Phasma fell, that's why everything was on fire and such

Well if that don't kill ya.... Phasma return is plausible.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I've decided that I want them to reboot the prequels.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

Luke didn't disappear. We followed him all the way down.

Interesting points from the fab Gail Simone
    Cliff_ForsterGarg
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Theres an argument at work going on right now about space rules in the movie... like the bombs dropping in the beginning of the film during the bombing run on the dreadnought.

This is glorious, I wish more people were here

TIL: BB-8 is the one to say "I've got a bad feeling about this" in The Last Jedi, when Poe goes for the dreadnought

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

My predictions for the next movie:

Phasma is alive. Definitely scarred.
    Snoke is super dead and irrelevant, hopefully.

That's about all I can say at this point.

MiracleManS
  • I'm thinking about hitting my second viewing Thursday night. This will be my bargaining phase viewing because I'm beyond denial, and nearly beyond anger. I'm sure I'll come up with some kind of reasoning for why everything cruddy in this movie is somehow necessary, and come to accept it so I can move beyond my grief.

Today I was trying to justify the idea that Luke nearly murdered someone in their sleep... Kinda like, well, Luke, I mean, he was Vader's kid, he kinda sorta couldn't help but suck a little bit, and I mean he mostly doesn't, unless it's this ENTIRE FUCKING MOVIE!!! Then I get angry again so I have a beer, because some light substance abuse during times of grief helps to numb myself a little so I can calm down and start thinking some more about how I'm going to reason and bargain with myself on loving this movie... I'll see it again, this time with my daughter and grandson. If they love it, that will be good enough for me to say fine... hey, what do I know, as long as the kids love it, I guess I can take one for the team.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Today I was trying to justify the idea that Luke nearly murdered someone in their sleep... Kinda like, well, Luke, I mean, he was Vader's kid, he kinda sorta couldn't help but suck a little bit, and I mean he mostly doesn't, unless it's this ENTIRE FUCKING MOVIE!!! Then I get angry again so I have a beer, because some light substance abuse during times of grief helps to numb myself a little so I can calm down and start thinking some more about how I'm going to reason and bargain with myself on loving this movie... I'll see it again, this time with my daughter and grandson. If they love it, that will be good enough for me to say fine... hey, what do I know, as long as the kids love it, I guess I can take one for the team.

I think you're way too hung up on the idea of Luke being perfect/not having any darkness in him. Even his fights on the second death star showed his anger getting to him. He even admits he's ashamed that his natural instinct after seeing Ben being turned in that way was to try and strike him down. You can see it on his face during the 2nd cut scene after Rey confronts him. I like that Luke still has to battle, to this day, with his darker nature.

Cliff_ForsterRyanMMUPSLynx
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

The comment at the bottom from the Author was amazing as well.

Author of the Article said:
    I don’t really buy this. The Empire Strikes Back is in many ways a near opposite of the original Star Wars—but, since it was only a sequel to a single popular movie and not the eighth iteration of a decades-old franchise, nobody thought to say “This movie is the most un-Star Wars movie!” There was no particular definition of what a Star Wars movie had to be; it didn’t have to be anything other than set in the Star Wars universe and connected to the story of Star Wars. It didn’t have to deal with all the ridiculous amount of baggage that comes with following on seven of the most widely discussed and obsessed-over movies ever made. It, like the original, had the freedom to just be the coolest and most surprising Star Wars movie it could be... and, not coincidentally, those are the two loosest and best Star Wars movies, by light years.

But that’s just the thing: The only way to try to get back to that freedom is to make a movie that refuses to wear all the previous movies around its neck like seven giant millstones, that claims for itself the discretion to define and uphold the essential Star Wars stuff and gleefully discard all the rest. And an inevitable consequence of making that movie is, a certain cross-section of fans, who feel they know what a Star Wars movie should be and feel entitled to demand that from the creators of each next one—who want each new Star Wars movie to return to everything they liked about each previous one—will recoil from it. As much as anything else, that’s what I think The Last Jedi is about: Both the movie itself and pretty much all its characters are openly wrestling with the baggage of what came before them, trying to sort out what’s worth upholding and what ought to be sloughed off.

But The Last Jedi, in my opinion, doesn’t quite side with Kylo Ren’s take, that the past is all garbage and must be completely shat on and killed. It works its way to the incredibly awesome Ghost Yoda’s mischievous equanimity, in the end: All of this solemn shit is only as cool and good as the freedom the youths have to play with it and use their own imaginations to bring it to life.

It rules! It really rules. I hope you will like it as much as I did on your second viewing.

• @MiracleManS said:

@Cliff_Forster said:

I think you're way too hung up on the idea of Luke being perfect/not having any darkness in him. Even his fights on the second death star showed his anger getting to him. He even admits he's ashamed that his natural instinct after seeing Ben being turned in that way was to try and strike him down. You can see it on his face during the 2nd cut scene after Rey confronts him. I like that Luke still has to battle, to this day, with his darker nature.

I mostly agree, my post was mostly an attempt to make someone laugh.

MiracleManS
    edited December 2017
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Warning: I didn't read through this thread. Sorry if this got mentioned already.

Noticed something during the second viewing. During the final battle of Luke and Kylo. Along with Luke being cleaned up, Luke's feet were giving tells that he wasn't actually there. They focus on Kylo's feet. He shifts. White salt gives way to bright red. They focus on Luke's movement, nothing. So good.

-Digi

LincTushonUPSLynxGarg
  • This is a fun view.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Saw it this morning. Not what I was expecting. LOVED it. Not really bothered by Leia surviving being blasted into space. Just confused about why they went with that. Everyone was expecting that to be the end of her and I know a lot of people must be pissed it wasn't. That scene seems strange to have without there being any consequence to it. I can only think it was a way to get Laura Dern's character to take her place for awhile so you can build some attachment to her for when she sacrifices herself later. But if they needed a character people are attached to...I mean, they have Leia...
    That could have been her chance to be the big hero. I get that just because Fisher is gone it doesn't HAVE to influence the story and that's fine but it would have been the perfect send off and solution to a huge problem they now have which is "What big plans do we have for Leia and HOW THE HELL are we going to do them?" Really interested to see how they pull that off without a CGI Leia people are going to get really REALLY mad about.

Anyway, did no one else notice that C3PO's arm is back to normal?

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Also, WHERE THE FUCK IS LANDO?!

@Canti said:
    Saw it this morning. Not what I was expecting. LOVED it. Not really bothered by Leia surviving being blasted into space. Just confused about why they went with that. Everyone was expecting that to be the end of her and I know a lot of people must be pissed it wasn't. That scene seems strange to have without there being any consequence to it. I can only think it was a way to get Laura Dern's character to take her place for awhile so you can build some attachment to her for when she sacrifices herself later. But if they needed a character people are attached to...I mean, they have Leia...
    That could have been her chance to be the big hero. I get that just because Fisher is gone it doesn't HAVE to influence the story and that's fine but it would have been the perfect send off and solution to a huge problem they now have which is "What big plans do we have for Leia and HOW THE HELL are we going to do them?" Really interested to see how they pull that off without a CGI Leia people are going to get really REALLY mad about.

Anyway, did no one else notice that C3PO's arm is back to normal?

They would have had to reshoot most of the movie. Plus she'd written a lot of the ending dialogue she has with Luke and Holdo, and they wanted to preserve that. I think it was right to keep her in, that moment was far too early in the film and she has a lot of meaningful things after that. I can't imagine the film without that ending scene with Luke.

@Canti said:

In the Outer Rim waiting for you in the next movie

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Also, Carrie didn't die until way into post/final finishing.

GnomeQueenCantiUPSLynx

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Also, Carrie didn't die until way into post/final finishing.

That makes sense. I just assumed it's been over a year now they must have still had a good amount of filming to do at that time.

• @Canti said:

Lando is way too cool for that movie. The Last Jedi doesn't deserve Lando.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Viewing #2 is in the books.

I noticed that Luke leaves no tracks in the snow/salt in his battle with Ben (I'm going to refer to him as Ben from now on because it's easier for my fingers to type), as mentioned above. They don't show you his feet moving for the first couple of cuts, but I saw Ben's stance-change as a kind of "Hey, keep an eye on this" from the director (also, think about Shawshank Redemption: "How often do you look at a man's shoes?").

First viewing, I didn't notice that the books were in the drawer that Finn pulls the blanket from for Rose. Also makes Yoda's "The girl has everything she needs" statement more impactful.

Hyperdrive fleet destruction is climbing fast to the top of my all-time favorite cinematic moments. It's just so perfectly executed. With the desaturation, slow-mo, and utter silence. It's just. FFFFFs. I still can't even. Once the 4k BR comes out, I'll have a new wallpaper for sure.

Hux gets beat up a lot. And it's great.

I'm pretty sure we'll see either (or both) of the gambler (Justin Theroux is a little high profile for a credited 10 seconds on film) and DJ in 9+.

Phasma didn't just fall into fire, she fell out into open space. Not sure if that's good or bad for her potential appearance later on.

Still SO MANY FEELS at Luke's end.

I liked the mirror scene a lot more when I could watch it more closely. Realizing that her perspective shifts from outside to inside, and then looping back to her inside viewpoint seeing herself looking in from the outside.

Pretty sure Ben is telling the truth about Rey's parents, EXCEPT for the fact that he tells her a lie IMMEDIATELY preceding it (that she will turn to the dark side with him). This could also be his seeing her helping him and not being able to see past the decision point where she chooses not to join him, so we'll see.

Poor James Corden.

So after a bit more time to think through it all I have a few more thoughts.

Phasma is (unfortunately) super dead, let's deal with it. I see some of you want to see more of that character and I'm right there with you but in the two films we've seen her she's had very little screen time and basically no development or backstory in any of it. I feel like it's clear at this point that character is not important to the overall story and serves only one purpose. Phasma existed solely as the main antagonist to Finn and defeating her would/should have been the logical conclusion to his story arc. With this in mind I was surprised that he wasn't allowed to sacrifice himself to destroy the cannon near the end. At that point he had won his personal battle and could go out a hero with everything resolved. I'm very surprised that didn't happen (again, not what I expected from this movie) but I'm open to it. I like Finn, I don't know anyone who doesn't but I can't think of where they'll go with him in the next film.

Yoda making an appearance is fine, what he looked like (Muppet or CG) doesn't honestly matter. He served his purpose and that's what counts. I was however expecting Obi-wan to show up alongside Yoda as soon as he showed up.

And as for our boy Chewbacca. What an underappreciated hero he in the new films, and actually all of them now that I think about it. Whether you hate the prequels or not you have to acknowledge that this Wookie has been fighting the good fight since at least episode 3 and rarely gets the attention he deserves for it. Chewie has always been overshadowed by Han but even in his absence and surrounded by Porgs he still kicks ass and saves the day. Chewie deserves to be more than Han Solo's furry sidekick.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Loved the movie. My biggest complaints? The complete lack of backstory on Snoke (how on Earth did someone, out of nowhere, get as powerful as him in less than 30 years and we don't know about it? Gotta be more to that). And the way they killed off Admiral Akbar. Obviously had to be done with his VA passing away, but I felt it was a weak way to kill off such a legendary character.

I think the biggest backlash from internet nerds is because this is the first truly new Star Wars trilogy we've all gotten to experience as grown adults, and that brings a lot of expectation from folks. We've had two years to build theories and expectations for this film, and the film said to hell with that. The main theme is burning away the old ways. You aren't meant to be comfortable with that film. I think that's great. The movie was awesome, people need to chill.

I don't buy that Rey is a nobody. Too much build for that. I get that anyone can be Force sensitive - we knew that before this current trilogy. But I think it's a misdirect. I mean come on - what's the point of this scene from TFA if her parents are just drunk junkers?

You expect me to believe that young Rey shouting NOOOO COME BACK! to a ship taking off isn't about her parents, and that those drunk junker parents are not just peacing out? I thought they were dead? Also, why would Unkar Plutt be taking Rey in as a worker as the top lord junker of Jakku? She has to have some value if he gives a crap about her. I don't think there's any way that Rey is truly a nobody, and if that's the canon, it's a cop out.

Also, I believe Phasma will be back - her armor blocks blaster shots. No way a little fire is harming her in that. I bet we see her in the next film with a half cyborg face due to the hole in her helmet as she fell. If she doesn't return, then her character was a massive waste.

CantiRyanMM
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Also puppet Yoda was SO GOOD. He was puppet AF and you knew the production team was so proud of it. They made no effort to hide it. Sure it didn't look 100% like the original trilogy puppet, but it beat the hell out of this:

DontCallMeKelsoMassalinie