Going to try my router again

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited July 2004 in Science & Tech
Well i tried to sell it but no one wanted it. Well i only had it out for 10 days before the ad was removed and i didn't want to renew it. I've benun running an older version of norton firewallbut i want to use my router again if i can.

Last sunday i talked to my brother and he said that his router had been dropping connection every now and then too. The solution was a program simulating an active connection so that his isp wouldn't disconnect him. Could this be what caused my problems too. If so the program called Connection Keep Alive from norton systemworks could help. But it says it's for dial-up and i'm not.

After reading bothereds thread about his problems i'm thinking that it could be MTU but netgear support pages says that it shouldn't really be changed. So what is the cause. It couldn't really be the router since i've heard nothing bad about netgear.

If the router is losing it's connection that could explain why my ip changed so frequently. Or is something else causing that. It would be nice to know.

In my last thread i was a little to angry when i wrote so the whole thread got a wrongfull tone. This time i'll try to keep cool. At least my old modem still works. :)

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    What make & model was that?

I doubt Keep Alive is going to help; a broadband connection is supposed to be "always on". I went back to older firmware to solve my problem. I had a similar problem a few years ago (same router) that was caused by a faulty cable.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited July 2004
    Netgear DG 834. Just found a new firmware. The next time i post it should be with the router.

I think you're right about the program. If so what should i do.
    edited July 2004
    If there is newer firmware available I would be cautiously optimistic that your problem will be solved by using it.

I'd uninstall Keep Alive. It may not cause a problem, but if it decides to try pinging across a non-existent dialup connection it might mess things up.
    edited July 2004
    It not activated and i don't think i can uninstall it.

Just installed the router. The funny thing is that i was just about to start adding the login info when i noted that i was connected already. Apparently the router remembered the info i ones entered. It didn't have the newest firmware that i installed at the time and it of course doesn't have the firmware i downloaded today. I'll stick to the first one and see what happens. MTU was according to the router set to 1492 so i'll keep that.

Where can i see what the computers MTU is.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=675
    For info on the firmware i installed the last time.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=783
    For info on the newest firmware.
    edited July 2004
    Well it happend again. The ip had changed. Why.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    1. What type of connection do you have?
    2. Most connectivity problems are caused by that which connects. Checked your cables lately?
    3. MTU is less a problem than most people think. Don't go higher than 1492, or lower than 1472.
    4. Released firmware only <i>rarely</i> has bugs that affect connection quality.
    5. How hot is it in your home? Routing equipment often stops working when it's higher than 80*F.
    6. It's always good to have the newest firmware.
    7. Have you called to check on ISP reliability issues in your area?
    8. You have a dynamic IP, it's natural for your IP to change every time you request connectivity from your central office.
    edited July 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    Well it happend again. The ip had changed. Why.
    If your Internet Provider is like mine they do not guarantee a set IP address unless you pay extra (business rate).

This is to discourage personal web hosting.

If you would like to forward me a copy of the <strike>Hot Swedish Babes</strike> folder you are trying to host I will be glad to check it out. :vimp:

Glad to be of service. :cool:
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    1. What type of connection do you have?
    2. Most connectivity problems are caused by that which connects. Checked your cables lately?
    3. MTU is less a problem than most people think. Don't go higher than 1492, or lower than 1472.
    4. Released firmware only <i>rarely</i> has bugs that affect connection quality.
    5. How hot is it in your home? Routing equipment often stops working when it's higher than 80*F.
    6. It's always good to have the newest firmware.
    7. Have you called to check on ISP reliability issues in your area?
    8. You have a dynamic IP, it's natural for your IP to change every time you request connectivity from your central office.

1. Adsl via ppoe over ethernet. Isp is glocalnet former telenordia. Had no problems wwhatsoever with mo other modem and found nothing on their site about connection problems.

2. No but the phonecable from the outlet worked fine with my old modem. The network cable however could be what's wrong.

3. In that case i'll leave it alone.

4. Good to know.

5. Hmm temperature often gets in that range. Perhaps i should place the router ontop of the computer. It's right now behind my printer.

6. In that case i'll update.

7. No but there's nothing on their site nor have i had any problems with my other modem as stated earlier. I installed the router last night. Just a hour earlier i disconnected the other modem. How could something gone wrong so quickly.

8. Yeah but it shouldn't change unless i disconnect now should it.
    edited July 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    If your Internet Provider is like mine they do not guarantee a set IP address unless you pay extra (business rate).

See point 8 in my previous post.
    profdlp wrote:
    If you would like to forward me a copy of the <strike>Hot Swedish Babes</strike> folder you are trying to host I will be glad to check it out. :vimp:

Who ever said i'm hosting that. :banghead: Not me. :mean: I'm keeping that folder to myself. :D
    edited July 2004
    Ok, PPPoE routers <i>all</i> have keepalive packet algorithms on them. They <i>always</i> send out signals indicating a connection to the ISP.

Yes, check the network cable. More wires than Cat3 means more wires to give you problems.

Most ISPs rarely update their website to indicate connection issues. I've had to call my ISP every single time I've ever had a problem to learn that the connection issue is larger than my personal problem.

Your IP will change <i>every</i> time a connection is reestablished with your central office. Be it your router disconnecting you, or a problem on their end. Every connection failure you experience means you're reconnecting to the CO for a new IP.

Call your ISP and ask them to do a line noise check, indicate that you are experiencing connectivity issues. Do <i>not</i> let them satisfy you with any other answer but the results of that test, which they <i>can</i> run right from where they're sitting.
    edited July 2004
    Thanks thrax. i'll try switching network cable. Not that it's old or anything but i guess that doesn't matter.

About that line noice. I'm not using the filter from this router since it's cord is slightly to short. To use it i would have to remove and relocate the phonecable from the wall which is attached quite well. But that shouldn't cause a problem right. But the filter from my other modem should work with the router right. A filter is a filter right.
    edited July 2004
    It has (knock wood) been going for a while now without switching ip. I've got some gardening busyness that i have to do. When i'm done i'll check the status again.

Edit.
    Well crap it changed again. I'll move the lawn then call my isp. I'm really tired of this.
    edited July 2004
    Well just got of the phone with someone from my isp. He said that there was no problems from their side and suspected the router. should i get netgear on the phone as well.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2004
    It wouldn't hurt to call netgear to see if they have seen this problem before. I thought it was your ISP the first time you were having problems, which is why I asked to check that log in your router to see if they are cutting you off, but it wasn't there. If you are getting a new IP then you are getting cut off from them. Since you are on DSL get your telephone company to check your lines as well.

EDIT:

If you also wanted to check to see if it was your phone line, you could run a line from the box outside your house to your modem. I don't know what your box would look like, but I could get a pic of mine on the side of my house to show you if you would like.
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited July 2004
    The Netgear DG834 Is a great router. I sell them by the bucket load and have few problems. I even use one myself on the shop connection. However, they have had the occasional blip. But netgear are very cool on support. They will send you a replacement if you make noises about it failing and you have to send yours back once the replacement arrives. I have sent two back (I blew the first one and use the power supply from the second and blew that! - all my fault).

Is your problem a) your public IP is changing or b)the router is dropping the line or c) both or d)not a b or c?

Give me some more details and we may just get there. It is a good router with good port protection. Persevere and you'll be happy. Otherwise go by ZyXel - I have only booted that router 2 times in 10 months :Rocker:
    edited July 2004
    His public IP is changing.

It's still not apparent if the router or ISP is dropping him.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    That is true, but some ISPs DO rotate public IPs. Mine uses a nominal 10 day cycle, but that can vary from one week to over two weeks. In my case, I never have had to reset the router, just the modem-- about once every third day of thunderstorms or every third IP change recycle on average in summer, winter hardly ever. Transient interference more often than not in my case.

Some DSL uses a new IP every time you dial in with modem (not constant service kinds of DSL often do this), dedicated DSL can be always on but still get random IP changes.

Suggest talking to Netgear, also seeing if the router log is full and needs dumping (use router's browser interface to look at log). They have been known to not like full logs when they try to log the one more entry that runs the log buffer on router into an overflow state.... I got around that one by having my log sent daily in email to myself from the router. A trojaned, virused, or spywar infected box sending (or TRYING TO SEND, especially) all sorts of junk with a partially or almost fully port secured router, can gen a LOT of log entries real fast when the router blocks port accesses and logs the violates to its block rules in its log.

I will tell you one other thing that can do this, and I KNOW this is so from experience and because of what fixed it. When I got my second box, knowing this was surge city due to lightning and lots of construction here and electrical cutins, I got a SmartUPS 1100 Watt APC UPS.

The network line from the modem to the router became TWO patch lines. Modem line now ended in the antisurge network protection inport on the SmartUPS, another line coming out from teh antisurge outport went to router. This UPS routes surges out the ground wire in power cable, so the cable company can have no beef about surges reflected back into its network from me.

The modem, router, two computers, an ink jet printer, an LCD monitor, a flourescent bulb computer light, and telephone are plugged into this UPS. The only thing I reset about every 3-4 weeks is the modem, the router is set to take DHCP from modem, and DOES, and resets when modem is forced to resync if it suddenly farks and I pull power to it and then power it back up to get a resync. Router does not get transients, the modem has a safety cutout and then a timed cut back in circuit design in it, and has spontaneously resynced from time to time due to that.

Last time I reset router was about 4 months ago, when 5 houses (new) got cut in, and we had 5 hours of thunderboomers in same day-- the UPS eventually told me it had 1 minute of battery left, everything got turned off including router (so the reset was a for safety reasons power down, then powerup). Two of the nearby houses got new Comcast hookups that day, one I saw the tech have a cable reel plugged in to cable net, with reel on ground, outside in rain, and sure enough, I got to reset modem. Router was still working and it self-resynced to modem. Check your DHCP config in router, and also surge protect it at network and power cables if you have random and inexplicable malfs. Oh, the router is a Netgear RP614+ V.2 .... They do not like surges, or large transients either.
    edited July 2004
    Hmm where do i start. Clutch do get me a pic of that box but i don't think i have one like yours. The only thing i know i have a box for is the electrical wires. if my phoneline's acting up, how come my other modem, a topcom webracer 850, isn't having any problems. Then again i've never checked if it changes ip as well.

Pressx nice to hear something positive about the router. It's as thrax said my public ip that's changing.

Thrax is there any way of telling who's dropping me?

Hey john nice tips. I configured the router to log only Known DoS attacks and Port Scans and not such thing as
    Attempted access to blocked sites, have non
    Connections to the Web-based interface of this Router, should only be me doing it
    Router operation (start up, get time etc), kinda pointless i think.

That should keep the logsize small. I set it to email me the log ones it gets full. I hope that will help. I've got an UPS, back-ups 800 but can't use it since my room don't have grounded outlets. Luckly it looks like i'm moving though nothing is set yet, and ones that's done i'll upgrade the other rooms outlets. Otherwise i unplug when a phenomenon i don't even want to mention occurs so it's not that i think.

How can i router drop connection everytime the log gets full. It sound weird but could that be what's happening. if so the problem might be solved. I'll check.
    edited July 2004
    Hmm even though the router hasn't been disconnected or changed ip it must have some error in it. I know this because i told it to eemial me the log ones it got full and when i just checked my email i had 33 !!! messages all containing logs. What's wrong know and how can i fix it.
    edited July 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    What's wrong know and how can i fix it.

Well it looks like i can answer my own question. I had told the router to log the activities from dc++ and shareaza and well those apps generate a lot of entries. Now when those apps aren't logged i shouldn't get such a big log.

For some reason though i can't download filelists. it started just when i told my router to email me those logs. Since i'm looking for many musicvideos i need to know what files people have. Hmm should i even bother asking in the chats or wait for you respons. I always seem to have problem noone can help me with.
    edited July 2004
    We will keep at it until we come up with a fix I guess, haha. I will go home tonight and get a pic of that phone box for you. I would also keep going to your ISP or phone company and bug them until they do all they can do to solve your issue on their end. Unless your ISP is your phone company then there is little they can do but check their router and all. This is how it is for the ISP I work for, we have to go to the telephone company to check a customers DSL circuit, make sure all the data is routing correct and ports are set up.
    edited July 2004
    Have had a long conversation with pressx over windows messenger but it didn't give anything. He wanted me to call my isp to get the settings for multiplexing methods and the likes but as soon as i mentioned the word router to my isp all i got was that the spokesperson didn't know what setting i wanted but told me firmly that they don't support routers. Yet i tried explaining that the setting in question are isp related not router.

I'm really lost know. since my router isn't disconnecting me nor switching ip i don't know what to do. Why can't i download fillists. That's the only thing left to figure out.
    edited July 2004
    Haha problem fixed. :) I think. Just got dc up and running but i'll edit if neccecary. Here's what the problems were. The router was told to log dc but that app causes so many logevents that the log got full. When the log got full the router didn't know what to do so it disconnected for a while. It then reconnected getting a new ip in the process.

Now since it's told to email me the log ones it gets full it can continue it's work and i don't have to worry about my ip changing unless i reboot it. Or so i think. If anyone have any ideas please give them to me.

It's finally working. :celebrate :celebrate :Rocker: :Rocker: ;D:rarr::):leet::leet::aol::wink::beer::beer: :thumbup :D:respect: :sweflag: :sweflag:
    edited July 2004
    edited July 2004
    profdlp wrote:

Yep i'm on a roll today. :rarr::rarr:;D :celebrate :eek2:

You can tell i like smilies right. :D
    edited July 2004
    pickylickybooboo :zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie:
    edited July 2004
    So what. :mean:
    edited July 2004
    Glad everything is working :)
    edited July 2004
    Today while i was at the cinema a thunderstorm hit town and my mother was forced to turn of the rig which she did by unplugging it without turning it off. She didn't know how. Ever since i started the rig my ip have been changing yet all router settings are the same as before. :banghead:

I've rebooted both the router and computer yet nothing happends. As you can see i've got no problem going online but i can't understand why the ip should start changing again. Pleas help me. :bawling:
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Wha? When is your IP changing exactly? And how often?
This discussion has been closed.