NF7-s problem

edited July 2004 in Hardware
well my computer is on the fritz again :(

anyways

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=218664

draw your attention to that cause its where i'm pulling this info from.

"A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages"

i'm getting that.

now hardware monitoring software from abit is saying this : Your Vbat voltage excedes the limits. is that a problem that can be causing this or could something else be seriously wrong?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I had to change my limits in the Abit HW monitor utility to keep from hearing it. Is that the only problem? Is it shutting down? And is the only time you hear the siren when you open the monitoring utility? More detail please.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2004
  • edited July 2004
    no, my problem is a little different than his necropolis. Mine is that the entire computer will shut off every now and then and the two tone siren goes off until i kill the power on the power supply. i cant figure out why it is doing it.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited July 2004
    What bios are you running? I remember when I got my first nf7-s 2.0 (I've had 4 now) it started doing that ****. Check in the bios and make sure to turn off any temperature alarm. Also flash your bios to the most recent one. http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision1.php?categories=1&model=124
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    I had it with mine when I first installed it. I tried a few things but taking it out and starting again sorted it. Don't know what it was but it wasn't overheating or out of spec voltages.
  • edited July 2004
    bah, i tried the bios update, seemed to be working fine till i play like an hour of thief 3, then it happened again.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    Just saw that problem on a nf7-s that was overheating (heatsink on backwards luckily no dmg). The two-tone and shutoff is 100% definitely the overheating alarm. The default threshold is 75*C iirc so you either got a busted sensor or a serious cooling problem.
  • edited July 2004
    hmmmm, i'll get Armo ( the man that fixes what i break) to reseat the heatsink. it's just weird because i didnt have ANY problems for 3 months then it popped up.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2004
    If you can game for an hour before it kicks, it could possible be the "dustbunnies from hell". It does sound like a heat issue to me. after all, it has been 3 mos.
  • edited July 2004
    The alarm you're hearing (followed by a shutdown) is the CPU overheat alarm. I've come accross it myself when I was OCing with an Areoflow.
  • edited July 2004
    well i know it could have been heat or voltage problem, cause the first thing i did was look up what the siren meant. anyways i'm going to clean it out nicely this weekend.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I had to change my limits in the Abit HW monitor utility to keep from hearing it.
    Baaah! I just removed Abit Hardware Monitor. But...that was because I was already monitoring the machine with other software (MM5 and BIOS) and new my system to be very clean with good cooling. I had the out of control (seemingly, at least) alarm as well.
  • edited July 2004
    anybody have troubles with their chipset fan? armo and i are noticing it slowing down. is the stock fan no good? should i go out and get a better chipset cooler or go and get a replacement from abit?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Abit is notorious for poor quality northbridge fans. I've had to replace two (maybe three) of them on Abit systems I've built. If it's slowing down, then it's time to find a replacement. No, don't go to Abit. Find a friend with an extra 40 or 50mm fan and just mount on the stock heatsink. You can find plenty of aftermarket heatsink/fan units for that board; but unless you are overclocking, it's not necessary at all.

I'd be happy to send you a fan, but unfortunately, I've already packed all my computer spare parts for my move.