Messages Will Not Delete in Outlook Express

13»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Dexter wrote:
    OK, make sure Outlook Express is closed, then here is where to look:

C:\Documents and Settings\OWNER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{7E4BA9BD-7C61-49C9-A77A-C5C21545F0CA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

That bolded section will be different for you. Basically once she gets to the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\OWNER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

there should only be one subdirectory that is named with a string of characters like that one above. Go into it, then into the subfolders:

Microsoft\Outlook Express

In there you will see several files with ".dbx" as the extension type. You will need to delete the INBOX.dbx. (Your OS may be set to hide the 3 letter extensions, so it may just say INBOX.")

If you do not see these files, check to make sure that you have the option to show hidden files and folders turned on. Read this post to learn how to do that if you do not know how to do that:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172588&postcount=3

So, once you identify the Inbox.dbx file, delete it. Then the next time you start Outlook Express, it will create a new inbox file for you.

***NOTE: make sure you have saved any other e-mail in the inbox that you wish to keep before doing this. Make a new folder in Outlook Express (call it "Saved Messages" or something like that) and move the messages you want to keep into there.)

This should solve your problem.

Also, it would be a good idea to clean out all your temporary files. Open My Computer, right click on your C drive, select Properties, and click Disk Cleanup. This will open the Disk Cleanup Manager. It will take a few moments to scan your hard drive, then present you with a window and several cleaning options. Make sure to chose the options to clean Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary Files.

Let me know how that goes.

Dexter...
  • edited July 2010
    hi Dexter

I am having the same problem in not being able to delete messages from outllok express. Hve followed your instructions and I get as far as the string of numbers and then I cannot find the outllok express even within the microsoft folder. I also utilixe XP as the OS.

Thank you
  • edited December 2010
    I did as advised (quoted below) but it did not work, so I did the same but deleted the delete folder and it now seems to be working fine. Thanks for all the useful info.

there should only be one subdirectory that is named with a string of characters like that one above. Go into it, then into the subfolders:

In there you will see several files with ".dbx" as the extension type. You will need to delete the INBOX.dbx. (Your OS may be set to hide the 3 letter extensions, so it may just say INBOX.")
  • edited January 2011
    You can fix Outlook Express when it does not delete messages by going to the Deleted Items folder in Outlook Express, moving all the messages that you want to keep in your Inbox or any other folder, shutting down Outlook Express, opening your Outlook Express store folder, deleting the Deleted Items.dbx file, restarting Outlook Express, and making sure that you regularly delete all items in your Deleted Items folder.
  • curtmilrcurtmilr Dallas, TX
    edited January 2011
    Yes, thanks! I'm always wary of messing with directory files, but sometimes, in the wisdom of Mister Softy (MSFT), that is the only way to go. They are no longer supporting Outlook Express either. C'est la vie!
  • edited March 2011
    hi, i am very new and have been trying to fix this problem for awhile

my deleted files show that i have different numbers in there at different times?? i delete some but they seem to come back

currently OE is telling me i have 4093 items!!

if i try to delete any that have been archived (mistake to do this in hindsight) I get an error telling me that they cannot be found

i have tried searching for the folder as suggested above, including hidden folders, system folders, the lot, but i cannot find any DBX inbox files to delete

OE freezes each time i though the delete folder now...

please help!

ps i just reopened OE while typing and it starts of telling me i have 93 items and once fully loaded goes to 4013!!

the message i get is " .............microsoft outlook/outlook pst is in use and could not be accessed.. please close file.."

this is the file i just cant find!
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Welcome katej.

OE is Outlook Express it does not use PST files.
    Outlook uses PST files. Outlook before 2003 had a 2GB size limit.

The PST file by default is located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_id\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook (which is hidden by default.)

Windows XP - To Show Hidden Files.

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab, and then click the Show hidden files and folder option.

If you have an office before 2003 or the PST is in (97-2002) format, then the max size is 2GB.

If you find your Outlook.pst is over 2GB you'll need to run the PST crop tool from microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296088 (Follow the Instructions in the Resolution Section.)

Good luck and for future keep your email cleaned up or get a newer version of Outlook.
  • edited June 2011
    Dexter wrote:
    OK, make sure Outlook Express is closed, then here is where to look:

C:\Documents and Settings\OWNER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{7E4BA9BD-7C61-49C9-A77A-C5C21545F0CA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

That bolded section will be different for you. Basically once she gets to the folder:

If you do not see these files, check to make sure that you have the option to show hidden files and folders turned on. Read this post to learn how to do that if you do not know how to do that:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172588&postcount=3

So, once you identify the Inbox.dbx file, delete it. Then the next time you start Outlook Express, it will create a new inbox file for you.

***NOTE: make sure you have saved any other e-mail in the inbox that you wish to keep before doing this. Make a new folder in Outlook Express (call it "Saved Messages" or something like that) and move the messages you want to keep into there.)

This should solve your problem.

Also, it would be a good idea to clean out all your temporary files. Open My Computer, right click on your C drive, select Properties, and click Disk Cleanup. This will open the Disk Cleanup Manager. It will take a few moments to scan your hard drive, then present you with a window and several cleaning options. Make sure to chose the options to clean Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary Files.

Let me know how that goes.

Dexter...

Just to say thanks Dexter a big help
  • marto333marto333 England
    edited June 2011
    I am having the same problems, where do I find the below

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    marto333 wrote:
    I am having the same problems, where do I find the below

The bolded part will be different on every computer because that is the ID of the particular user on the particular computer (not reversible in any meaningful way, to my knowledge). So, follow the path through identities and see what you find.
    edited June 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    The bolded part will be different on every computer because that is the ID of the particular user on the particular computer (not reversible in any meaningful way, to my knowledge). So, follow the path through identities and see what you find.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am getting to the "application" part of the path but then I can go no further as "Identities" does not appear, nor does any of the following path such as the bolded part.

Martin Jones
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    EDIT: the bottom should already be true due to you getting that far. Are you actually using Outlook, instead of Outlook Express?

Make sure you have hidden folders shown. Tools --> Folder Options --> Radio box for show hidden files and folders.
    edited June 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    EDIT: the bottom should already be true due to you getting that far. Are you actually using Outlook, instead of Outlook Express?

Make sure you have hidden folders shown. Tools --> Folder Options --> Radio box for show hidden files and folders.

All sorted, thanks to you all for your help, much appreciated.
    edited June 2011
    Tushon wrote:

All sorted, thanks to you all for your help, much appreciated
  • edited June 2011
    EupherJoe wrote:
    So, looks like I solved my own problem: Put 2&2 together from various posts and concluded the problem is indeed in the DELETED ITEMS folder. For me, Shift-Del (delete without going to Deleted Items folder) worked every time. Apparently, the problem we are seeing is not being able to delete, but not being able to delete and append to the DELETED ITEMS folder. If this folder is corrupt, or apparently overfull (>2Gb) the delete attempt will fail. I could not delete the DELETED ITEMS.DBX file at first; WinXP claimed the file was in use by some ?? application. I had to reboot to clear any links to OE, then I could delete the DELETED ITEMS.DBX file. After that, a new one was created and all was OK. I hope this helps someone else. The previous posts sure helped me.

Thanks EupherJoe - I had exactly the same problem and did what you said - seems the Deleted Items folder must have been corrupted. It's been driving me mad for a week - thanks again!
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks EupherJoe - I had exactly the same problem and did what you said - seems the Deleted Items folder must have been corrupted. It's been driving me mad for a week - thanks again!

PS I noticed that although I had emptied my Deleted Items folder in OE the file on the C Drive still showed 2MB+ file size.
  • Dexter...
    Please help. Outlook will not let me delete or send emails, only recieve. And my emails are not reaching my limits. Please help. I'm running Windows 7.