Abit Merges With USI

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
Motherboard manufacturer Abit has merged with USI, a large manufacturer of computers for IBM.
This merger will USI to effectively penetrate the retail motherboard channel with Abit, apparently the world's fourth-largest brand in motherboard business. Abit will get a place to manufacture its boards and a good service network and USI will acquire the great engineering skills of Abit's motherboard people.
Source: The Inquirer

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    The (very poorly written) article continues: "We don't know much the details of who owns what now, but we would not be surprised to see Abit motherboards in IBM/Lenovo machines." That does not sound heartening. If USI looks at Abit as merely another acquisition for increased market share, Abit may turn into just another ECS or no-name OEM part. That would be sad. IBM/Lenovo machines? You don't waste high priced engineering talent on that.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Ya well we saw this coming. The NF7sv2 was the pinnacle of Abit's motherboard. After that they started losing it real fast, and it's been downhill ever since. Maybe not in the performance arena, but their fiscal status has been rough. It was ntoicable in their decisions prior to this merger. Poor Abit, they had some good times though.
  • edited January 2006
    why link to articles form the inq? they only scratch the surface with their stuff. i found this link on anandtech that provides a little bit more insight on the merger.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=440
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the link. (Why no forum name for you? We don't bite - not usually, at least:buck: )
    why link to articles form the inq? they only scratch the surface with their stuff
    Probably because our volunteer news posters don't have the time to be everywhere at once. What I like about The Inquirer is that they are fairly comprehensive in once-around-the world coverage. But yes, often their articles are quite sketchy. It's sort of like CNN - mile wide and inch deep.

The article/interview you linked to is informative, in that there is factual information that can be checked. But it's also a mild public relations spot for Abit.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Wierd ...nVidia buys Uli buys Abit.
    I just saw somewhere that the Inquirer was bought out as well.
  • edited January 2006
    ULI is not USI
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    :headbange
    TheSmJ wrote:
    ULI is not USI
    i need glasses.:cool2:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Thanks for the link. (Why no forum name for you? We don't bite - not usually, at least:buck: )

Probably because our volunteer news posters don't have the time to be everywhere at once. What I like about The Inquirer is that they are fairly comprehensive in once-around-the world coverage. But yes, often their articles are quite sketchy. It's sort of like CNN - mile wide and inch deep.

The article/interview you linked to is informative, in that there is factual information that can be checked. But it's also a mild public relations spot for Abit.

The reasoning behind this one is that it was a submitted news story - an anonymous submission at that. To make a long story short, when I originally approved the submission, I did not want to change the source out on the story behind the submitter's back.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    To make a long story short, when I originally approved the submission, I did not want to change the source out on the story behind the submitter's back.
    I think the source used was the most appropriate, however don't worry about changing the source. :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I love my Abit... I really hope this doesn't go bad for Abit. My AN8 SLI Fatal1ty is uber sweet.