Diskless Linux computer

edited July 2006 in Science & Tech
I had enough extra parts to build a folding Linux box but I was missing a harddisk. Yesterday, I assembled the computer and configured to boot with a 128MB USB flash disk and mount /usr, /opt, and /home from my other Linux computer over NFS. It took sometime to figure out but I am very much satisfied with the final configuration. I do not even feel that /usr /opt /home are accessed over the network. It is now running FAH 24/7. Adding a new folding box from now on will be copying the flash disk and editing several files in /etc, no extra harddisks. Are there anyone who has also done something similar? We could exchange some ideas to improve our configurations.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I have a machine that boots disklessly from a LAN server for Folding. The machine's filesystem is stored on an NFS server along with a kernel image. The client grabs the kernel from the PXE booter and mounts the NFS serves to its filesystem.

-drasnor :fold:
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i wrote a great article on how to build a diskless folding farm, im not sure when it will be posted.

see if general keebler can send it to u
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i wrote a great article on how to build a diskless folding...
    Ohhh, is that soooo!?! (actually, I believe you)

This diskless concept is very interesting. (Rats, I'm too lazy to learn Linux...so far.)
  • edited July 2006
    drasnor wrote:
    I have a machine that boots disklessly from a LAN server for Folding. The machine's filesystem is stored on an NFS server along with a kernel image. The client grabs the kernel from the PXE booter and mounts the NFS serves to its filesystem.

You are using the Ethernet boot ROM and configured a TFTP server on the file server, right? I though about it but I did not do due to two main reasons. First, I wanted to boot at least into a state where root can logon without the network connection. Second, I wanted the make the /tmp and /var directories local. I thought local temporary files would improve the computer's performance. What do you think?
  • edited July 2006
    citrixmeta wrote:
    i wrote a great article on how to build a diskless folding farm, im not sure when it will be posted.

see if general keebler can send it to u

Can you elaborate a little bit? what kind of methods? Is it appearing soon? I would like to see it.
  • edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    This diskless concept is very interesting. (Rats, I'm too lazy to learn Linux...so far.)

There are two main advantages. First, whichever compuer you login, home directory is the same, no need to synchronize files. Second, when upgrade/install software they are available on every diskless computer instantly, this makes software maintenance easier. Not counting less noise, electric consumption, and harddisk cost. Disadvantage is dependence on network bandwidth. But as I said, I am surprised with the performance, program startup delays are minimal using a simple 100Mbit switch.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    mirage wrote:
    You are using the Ethernet boot ROM and configured a TFTP server on the file server, right? I though about it but I did not do due to two main reasons. First, I wanted to boot at least into a state where root can logon without the network connection. Second, I wanted the make the /tmp and /var directories local. I thought local temporary files would improve the computer's performance. What do you think?
    That's correct, I use a TFTP servr and the NIC's boot ROM. I don't know about a performance boost from local /tmp and /var. I haven't had a problem with hosting them on the server. The machine can be sluggish to use while logged in but FAH seems not to be affected.

• edited July 2006
    I am very interested in building my own diskless farm. Could one of you go into more detail or post the "HOWTO" article on your method of diskless farming? Why reinvent the wheel, right? It would be easier to learn from you guys. :respect:
  • edited July 2006
    There is a slight difference of my diskless configuration than the *real* diskless method; I used a 128MB flash disk to do the initial booting. If you are interested, I can write down what I have done. Please let me know and just give me a couple of days. If you want *real* diskless configuration using the Ethernet Boot ROM, Dasnor is the expert to ask questions but I can at least give you some links about how to do it.
  • edited July 2006
    mirage wrote:
    There is a slight difference of my diskless configuration than the *real* diskless method; I used a 128MB flash disk to do the initial booting. If you are interested, I can write down what I have done. Please let me know and just give me a couple of days. If you want *real* diskless configuration using the Ethernet Boot ROM, Dasnor is the expert to ask questions but I can at least give you some links about how to do it.
    Links would be good...
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    daxx im sending u an article
  • edited July 2006
    Hi again, as I promised, here are a couple of links that describe howto build a diskless Linux computer. I am very much satisfied with my configuration, since it decreases the amount of software maintanence/administration tasks, and file synchronization efforts for user files. This is the best way to go for building a Folding farm, IMHO. Please shoot your questions here, if you have any.

http://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/diskless/

http://www.intra2net.com/de/produkte/opensource/diskless-howto/howto.html

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Diskless-HOWTO.html

http://www.naos.co.nz/papers/diskless/