The 2008 Tastes of Detroit Food Tour

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Community
Greetings my fellow foodies.

I had some trouble with my choices this year. The biggest LAN yet, coupled with the ideal of not duplicating any restaurants combined to narrow the choices down quite a bit. I'm always trying to raise the bar as far as meeting my criteria.

In case you aren't familiar with the Tastes of Detroit Food Tour, the premise is simple: Every year I try to pick 3 restaurants to take everyone to. I have a certain set of standards that I try to adhere to:

• The restaurant must be unique.
  • The restaurant must have some compelling theme or specialty that makes it truly a step above the normal establishment. This can be service, a menu item, decor, price, character, etc.
  • The restaurant must able to at least try to introduce people to something they've never had before.
I love Detroit, and there is a huge variety of cuisine to be had here. I try to introduce out-of-towners to a side of Detroit that they may not have realized could be found.

To sign up for the food tour, you simply post in this thread that you are interested, and what visits you are interested in. I need to get a count so I can call ahead for reservations.

The food tour can be expensive. I would recommend allocating at least $25 for yourself for your meal and tip. Definitely more if you will be quaffing fine ales or spirits.

None of the restaurants have any special attire requirements. They're all casual.

On with the list:

THURSDAY, JUNE 19
XOCHIMILCO MEXICAN RESTAURANT
A Detroit staple for two generations. Xochi's is a place that families make a tradition out of. Mostly authentic, yet with items that cater to the American palate, you can find dishes that most other "Mexican" restaurants don't carry such as Mole and Nopalitos.

FRIDAY, JUNE 20
SALA THAI DETROITOf the four family-owned Sala Thai restaurants in the Detroit area, the one downtown in Eastern Market is the flagship. Very authentic, fresh, and delicious, I think Sala Thai represents some of the better Thai food in the Metro area. Also, it's big enough for all of us.

SATURDAY, JUNE 21
HU HOT MONGOLIAN GRILL
While not 'actually' Mongolian food (no horsemeat or stuffed prairie dogs, etc.) This place wins on character and value. You have a buffet of raw meat and veggies, you fill a bowl with things and sauces and spices, and you hand it to a scenester to have him cook it on a giant round piece of steel while you watch. It's fun, all you can eat, and relatively cheap.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Of course, the traditional Saturday morning Original Pancake House visit is on. It's not a part of the food tour, but EVERYBODY usually goes.

Also, Sunday brunch, for the last two years we've gone to Thang Long (vietnamese) since people love that place too..... We may go there or to our favorite local BBQ joint, Red Hot and Blue. We'll see.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    mexican

srsly

wow

HU HOT FTW tho

(i love mexican, we have an awesome mexican place here, just didnt think prime wanted everyone having gas the first night ;) )
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm in for the Mongolian Grill, sounds wonderful! Wish I could make it to the others, but budget constraints (cost of gas) means I can only choose one :-(
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Seen as how ive never went to one of these before, ill try to go to all three.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    All three assuming I can get there and back before the late tourney. :thumbsup:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I will go to all of the ones that I'm there for, but I don't yet know if I'll be there on Thursday evening (depends on my teaching schedule, and whether or not Sharky and Zan are taking Friday off work. neither of which I'm sure of yet.)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    IN FOR PANCAKES

Also I guess I'll try that there Mongolian thingy. Not sure if I'll be there for the others yet, so I'll refrain.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm in for all 3 although I'm bit skeptical about the Mexican place since I practically live in Mexico myself. Should be interesting.

Regardless, the food tour was one of the highlights of last year for me - I wouldn't miss it! Socializing and beerz at its best!
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited May 2008
    I am in for any and all food places to visit.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm in for all three +pancakes.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Yes/no/yes + pancakes. Kthx.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    no/yes/yes That English Pub place would be cool to hit again ( I was part of the :)
    party that didn't want to leave last year.:D )
    That place was Great
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm in for all of it.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    All three!
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I am in for everything i am there for, should arrive friday.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    All three plus OPH. For those of you who have not been to the Pancake House, the delightful scoop of creamy butter on top of your pancakes is just that- butter. It is most definitely not- as I can attest to- a scoop of whipped cream.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    In for all three and pancakes!

<3 the food tour.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I would like to go to as many as possible. But I have complicated food issues, a.k.a. food allergies. I am Celiac which limits some of my dining opportunities. However after living like this for almost 10 years now I have gotten pretty good making sure stuff is ok for me to eat. Just a heads up, I'll try to bring/buy lotsa snacks to prevent starvation. But seriously it isn't as bad as I make out to be.

I should be able to find something to eat at all of those establishments.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Actually, you stand a much better chance of being able to avoid gluten in many of the foreign cuisines Brian presents than you do with typical American fare. :thumbsup:
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    I would like to go to as many as possible. But I have complicated food issues, a.k.a. food allergies. I am Celiac which limits some of my dining opportunities. However after living like this for almost 10 years now I have gotten pretty good making sure stuff is ok for me to eat. Just a heads up, I'll try to bring/buy lotsa snacks to prevent starvation. But seriously it isn't as bad as I make out to be.

I should be able to find something to eat at all of those establishments.

You and your silly food allergies ;). Hmm, might have to avoid teh biarzs for more than just one reason :sad2:.

I'm up for food tour for whichever days I'm there (if at all :().
    edited May 2008
    Ya, I figure I should be alright. Italian wouldn't be good, but all of those that prime picked have decent alternatives to stuff I can't eat.

My mom is corn intolerant, which is really freaking impossible to live on. EVERYTHING has corn in it, crisco, diet pop, white bread, soup, its ridiculous. My dad doesn't know how to feed us :bigggrin:

LOL, ya beers are a no go.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    LOL, ya beers are a no go.
    It's ok, we have liquor.

//edit: Wait... are you 21? :skeptic:
    edited May 2008
    Well technically...no. But I'm old for my age lol!
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Ehhh...I'll go with yes on all three, but I'm willing to substitute an English Pub run for the Mongolian place if anyone else wants to go with me. Steak and ale pie FTW :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm in, as usual.

-drasnor :fold:
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Never had Thai before. Ive heard its really good. Im in fo sho. PANCAKES!!!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm probably getting in too late for Thursday, but I'm in for everything else!

Also, Red Hot and Blue please!!! I haven't been to one since my time in Colorado Springs.
    edited May 2008
    ugh the LAN is too short :-/
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    ugh the LAN is too short :-/
    Well, who posted those dates? Seriously, I'd have shown up for whatever days it was announced for. Haven't been to an out of town LAN before and I didn't want to be "that guy" that showed up WAY too early. Oh well.
    edited May 2008
    You should come early.