What's your control?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited July 2003 in Gaming
Just wondering what controls you all use for games?
I use a MS gamepad pro and Intellimouse. I can configure any button on either to any keyboard button but allways use the same. I use the gamepad direction (D) button for the arrow keys, The left trigger for jump and the mouse for steering and everything else. I can't play using the keyboard as keeping my hand in the same position is uncomfortable after a while.
How do you do it and what with?

bothered.

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Well bothered,

I mainly use the keys, but after you suggested the gamepad idea to me the other day, I have been trying to use my sidewinder gamepad to control my movement and jumping (with limited success)

-Nec
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I use a logitech MX500, and a Logitech elite keyboard.

I use the wasd keys for moving, space for jump, shift for crouch (for all those darn games that need a jump-crouch), ctrl is my walk toggle, Q and E lean.

Mouse1 - fire
    mouse2 - alt fire
    mouse3 - reload

don't usually use 4 or 5 much.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Left hand - Belkin Nostromo N50 gamepad (see below)
    Right hand - Logitech MX700 wireless, optical mouse

The Nostromo is awesome. Recommended for any major FPS players.
    edited June 2003
    Shorty, where can you pick one of them up over here?
    edited June 2003
    PC World or Dabs :) for about £25.

Reviews:

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/january02/nostromo/

http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/kb_mouse/belk_n50/page1.asp

http://www.monkeyreview.com/reviews/review.php?num=102

If you get one, hop onto the belkin site and download the latest drivers and software :)

Once you get one of these, you never wanna do nothing else. I've got macros bound to the 4 way D-Pad under my thumb.

IT RULES :cool:
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I use my Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard and Logitech MX700. For movement I use arrow keys, Delete as jump, Page Down as crouch, Page Up as prone etc, Shirt for run/walk and then the numpad for other things. The mouse controls my firing, reloading, changing weapon, changing firing type and changing ammo type. This leaves 4 buttons on my mouse unused.

Shorty, you tried any other mouse since the MX700? I struggle :(
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've used the standard halflife controls on everything since that game came out. KB and Mouse for me all the way!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I'm a keyboard and mouse man myself as well. I use a Natural Pro keyboard by Microsoft and a standard Intellimouse Optical. Though I have been considering expansion in the interface department.
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    mx700 and nostromo n50, both totally kick ass!
    edited June 2003
    Nixxer said
    Shorty, you tried any other mouse since the MX700? I struggle :(

I have to use a standard Microsoft optical corded mouse @ work :( so unresponsive, it totally gets on my nerves now.

Im spoiled with the MX700 :D I've become a mouse snob.

Interesting to see so many natural keyboard users. Been using one for a couple of years now. They are also really cool.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2003
    Interesting how many like to use the keyboard.
    Shorty, I read the reviews on the N50, Looks like a nice bit of kit IF you play via keyboard. It's keeping my hand in the same position thats the prob with me.
    The Gamepad pro is similar, It has 16 buttons (with shift) that can be configured to any key, It's digital or analogue, You can set macros to buttons. I have never played a game with just the gamepad that used more than about 10 buttons. I would however like a cordless mouse, The intellimouse is brilliant, Again it has 5 buttons and wheel up\down that can be set for anything but occasionaly the cable gets snagged on some bit of clutter, see pic.

bothered.
    PS, when the sun is out it shines on the french door curtains to the right, Which face south, Making dark scenes hard to see. It's sunny now, stupid sun!
    edited June 2003
    Bothered,

What the hell are you doing with an american mouse mat???? :confused:

Looks like we have a traitor in our ranks :eek:

Restrict his access to classified UT information and break out the torture equipment :D
    edited June 2003
    Good grief, I've only just posted that and realised, I scrolled down and saw your post. AAHHHH!!
    It was a present from my 10 y\o son, Little bothered, Honest.
    I'm no traitor, I'll change it for the match.

bothered.
    edited June 2003
    Oh no! The mat on the other PC has a pictue of the space shuttle on it
    I'll pop down to PC world before Sunday, Promise.

bothered the Brit.
    edited June 2003
    A US flag, a space shuttle and a Limp Biskit CD :banghead:

Argh.. we have a Yanker in our midst :aol:
    edited June 2003
    Agreed.

To prove your English, please provide a picture of yourself wearing a beef eater uniform, eating a plate of fish and chips, with a copy of the Financial Times under your arm.

Otherwise you know what happens.

/me puts on his heavy leather glove with the sharpened metal spikes and starts to clean his bat waiting for the picture
    edited June 2003
    Sheesh, The things you have to do for a game.
    Sorry but the dog ate the chips......and the paper.

bothered.
    edited June 2003
    :wow: ;D
    edited June 2003
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Top marks ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

Ok, you've proved it. Your a brit. :D

/me puts away his glove and bat.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    A 10$ keyboard with no extra functions. Nothing else is more comfortable and accurate to me that a $10 matsu****i keyboard I bought at a computer show. The keys feel "right" the placement of them feels "right."

I use an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Until I can look at someone on screen and have them die, I will not be using another model or brand of pointing device. I got to #1 in the world out of 70,000 people for Quake2 CTF using only a railgun...I've no reason to change.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    no-name keyboard using arrow keys for movement, ctrl for crouch, 0/Ins for jump, and Enter for reload. (anything else configured as needed). About to try a Logitech Elite, even though the standard keyboards have served me well through many years of Quake I, Unreal Tournament, and many others since 1996.

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on a Ratpadz GS mousing surface. It looks like a plain black plastic slab, but the difference is amazing to a regular pad or table surface!

For flight sims: MadCatz Panther DX Digital joystick

Driving: Microsoft Force feedback wheel and pedals - but that's only because the store didn't have the $200.00 logitech momo force feedback wheel when I went there. Since I nearly crashed the car on the way there, I said "I'm not leaving without a wheel" and picked the MS one up ;)

Before I moved to the mouse in early 1997, I used a keyboard/gamepad combo. A few months after switching, I looked at an old demo and thought "I can't believe I sucked that much and thought I was good".

I do have a Gravis Xterminator Force Feedback pad - which puts the default XBox controller to shame in terms of size - but I rarely use it. I'm glad the bundle it came with introduced me to the Tony Hawk series though :)

I never got the Nostromo n50 to configure correctly for my tastes - and I sort of want more buttons on it too (hotkeys for everything :), but it does hold promise.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    MS Natural and some no name wireless mouse. I can never play with a normal keyboard after playing with a Natural.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    I've been using the same MS Natural Elite for years, stupid keyboard cost $70 back when they first came out. For gaming, I still have my trust first generation Logitech Optical Mouseman Pro. I'll be upgrading soon, though. I'm saving for an MX700... Gonna go all out. ;)
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    i use a keyboard for FPS and RTS games and suck, just some no name keyboard.
    and my pointing device, is a brand spanking new Logitech MX700, and i use my playstation controller for racing games and stuff, of course i got a converter for that.
    edited June 2003
    This is a real supprise for me, I didn't realise almost everybody uses the keyboard. Don't it make your wrists ache?

bothered.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    The keyboard is fine...what kills my wrist is the mouse, heh.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2003
    Shorty said
    A US flag, a space shuttle and a Limp Biskit CD :banghead:

Argh.. we have a Yanker in our midst :aol:

:wow:

sometimes i wish i could just

:aol:

crazy limeys :banghead:

just kiddin. all in good fun right?

I mean we already know whos superior ;)
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    USB MS intellimouse the 5 button version (i got 2 of them)

MS standard keyboard

I configure everythings around the arrow keys..

but mainly i use the arrow keys, all 5 mouse buttons, 0 on keypad to reload, cntrl to crouch and shift to sprint, mouse 1 to fire, mouse 2 to jump, mouse 3 to change weapons and zoom, mouse 4 to goto prone position (if game supports), and mouse 5 to alt fire

Tek
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The trick with using a mouse and keyboard is to keep your hands directly in line with your arms.

If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. You're going to give yourself carpal tunnel that way.

If anyone knows what I mean, I use the long (12 inches, .33m or so) gel wristpad things to keep my hand in line with the keyboard so my wrist isn't tilted upwards. Works like a charm.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    MS Natural Keyboard Pro (at work and at home) and a Logitech USB Mouseman Wheel. Though I'll soon be getting a Logitech MX700. I like the new Z-board with the game/program specific inlays, but it just doesn't feel right after using the MS NKP.