Options

Unable to boot PC (no HJT log). Dr Watson/Acebot?

I should start by apologizing for not providing the HJT log, but the computer will not boot. Also, since I'm not exactly PC savvy thanks in advance for having patience.

The problem started when a downloaded file was opened and a message, saying something to the effect of "Dr Watson postmortem error", popped up. The computer froze, the user got frustrated and then tried to preform a hard reboot to fix it. Now the PC will not boot in any mode. (normal, safe, safe w/net, safe w/command prompt, or last successful config(?)) It gets as far as the Windows logo and then reboots itself back to the mode prompt. I may be missing some details about the way it happened; I was not the user at the time. The user who made this mess has panicked and gone into hiding. The above was all I could get out of her.

I've stopped trying to start it, because I honestly don't know if that will do more harm than good. It's also been disconnected from the internet, because, again, I don't know and figured it couldn't hurt.

I keep coming across Acebot while googling the symptoms I described, but I haven't been able to find a case or solution where the computer doesn't boot at all. For all I know, which is obviously next to nothing, this detail eliminates Acebot as the cause. Any possible diagnosis or even better a solution would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!