If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Map posting thread

RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
edited Oct 2011 in Minecraft
Google Maps Style Map
http://minecraft.ardichoke.info
Updated automatically every Monday

Comments

• TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited Jan 2011
    New map is up! This is map is current as of the official changeover from Ryder hosting the server to Ardichoke hosting.

http://sota.llarian.net/Icrontinent/

Signs are off by default. Hit the button in the upper right corner of the map then check the box to turn them on.

Enjoy.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited Jan 2011
    <3 Tony

Thank you Sir, You have done a great service for the community :D

-Digi
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indyerner Icrontian
    edited Jan 2011
    Icrontia Railways "map"
    2011-01-20_11.30.51.png
    1 x 1 - 199K
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Jan 2011
    That is a lot of wood.
    edited Jan 2011
    Snarkasm said:
    That is a lot of wood.
    edited Feb 2011
    We can has new map + render plz?

-Digi
    edited Feb 2011
    I'll do a render Wednesday after I get home from work. :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Feb 2011
    Updated initial post with map infoz. Enjoy in moderation bitches.
    edited Feb 2011
    Thanks for hosting, ardi. I'll update the map once a week and send you a link to the file.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited Mar 2011
    Do we have any updated maps?
    edited Mar 2011
    Not at this time. They switched to a new save file format with the 1.3 update. I haven't had a time to check if the tools I was using have been updated.

As for the Google Maps stuff, I wasn't generating those. What's up there is the latest version I was provided with.
    edited Mar 2011
    looks like there is a new build of Overviewer, so i'll set up a run tonight on the most recent daily backup. Hopefully it'll be a faster render with the new region format.
    edited Mar 2011
    I've done a new Overviewer run, map is up. I've also updated the server to Debian 6 which means I can now run Overviewer right on the server. I will be setting it up to update the map once a week automagically.
    edited Mar 2011
    Hey dudes! Sorry I fell behind on this stuff. School and work stuff ramped up in such a way that I haven't had much time for MC lately. :(

Thanks for taking care of this, ardi!
    edited Mar 2011
    :bucket:

[Edit] Map link in OP is broken. Maybe a new name? Different directory?
    edited Mar 2011
    Yeah, there is no static image anymore. I'm setting it up to automatically update the Google Map style version from now on as it's a more elegant method of mapping (and caches better than the static image build)
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    say, on the big map, do you see 3 islands of chunks spawned waaaaay to the left of the continent, just floating out in space?
    edited Apr 2011
    I do indeed. Not sure how those got there... if it was an error with map spawning or if it was a problem with the world itself....
    edited Apr 2011
    I don't see them, but I did notice the map had enormous amounts of blank space. Possible that those islands are related to the lag/mem usage recently?

-Digi
    edited Apr 2011
    BobbyDigi said:
    I don't see them, but I did notice the map had enormous amounts of blank space. Possible that those islands are related to the lag/mem usage recently?

-Digi
    http://screencast.com/t/o9NtcEBesLGH
    edited Apr 2011
    I'll have to see about editing the map this weekend and taking out those random bits (if they exist in the actual world and not just on the map).
    edited Apr 2011
    Is there a link to get the full current map?

-Digi
    edited Apr 2011
    I stopped building a static image version when I started automatically updating the google maps style version.
    edited Apr 2011
    I meant the playable map. For single player testing, for example.

-Digi
    edited Apr 2011
    Ah... yeah, just grab one of the backups. Links are in the main thread.
    edited Apr 2011
    Oh ryl? Excellent, TY

-Digi
    edited Jun 2011
    BobbyDigi said:
    :bucket:

[Edit] Map link in OP is broken. Maybe a new name? Different directory?
    ^^ this?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited Jun 2011
    Working for me.
    edited Jun 2011
    not updated for me
    edited Jun 2011
    I see recent progress on the currently displayed map. Keep in mind it updates every Monday. Not sure why you wouldn't see the changes TT. Only recent change I can point out is the move of RedBurn's house. Take a look next to DigiLand, the house was about 1/2 deconstructed when the snapshot was taken on Monday.

-Digi
    edited Jun 2011
    Actually, he was correct. The update on Monday failed due to a slight change that I made to the backup process (the map is generated off the backup, not the active world folder, this lets me minimize downtime). I have since corrected the issue and manually ran an update of the map. Forgot to post here about it though. Whoops.
    edited Jul 2011
    I'm making some changes to the way the map renders (and am therefore re-rendering the map currently). Changes include getting rid of the top two zoom levels as they are too far zoomed out to be useful anyway. Also, I am rendering 2 different map modes. Normal, which is the same as the map has been so far and Spawn which is a normal map with an overlay which shows where mob spawning is possible (so that we can light such areas if desired). Depending on the size and how well the map turns out, I may just go back to only rendering normal mode.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Jul 2011
    Did the new update restrict the range of the map? I'm noticing a distinct cutoff to the bottom and right edges of the map.
    edited Jul 2011
    Yes, that was a side effect of me knocking out the top 2 zoom levels it seems. Don't know why it has to render so much blank space. I'll change it back to automatically choosing the zoom levels so everything gets rendered.
    edited Oct 2011
    Just checked the map and noticed that there's a huge "STRIFE" printed out in the middle of nowhere now. Hmm, wonder who did that.

Anyway, I shouldn't even need to say this, but DON'T WARP OUT INTO THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE AND GEN A BUNCH OF MAP. It wastes disk space on the server, it wastes time doing backups, it wastes time generating the map and it generally pisses me off.
    Going to kill this thread.

Ardi please make a new one once you have made the first render from the new map.

-Digi
This discussion has been closed.