Zambezi build

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Hardware
There I've said it. I'm planning on building a Zambezi rig as soon as it comes out. I've been waiting a while for this and made one or two threads along the way that haven't played out ...so let's get started.

Parts transfered to this build:
Case = Lian Li PC-V2000b
Radiator = Thermochill PA160.1 single pass high flow
Pump = Laing D5-12V variable speed
HD = Western Digital 74GB Raptor (as secondary)

Parts already purchased:
PSU = OCZ 850W Z series
GPU = Gigabyte GTX 280

Parts needed:
CPU = AMD FX-8130P Zambezi
Mobo = 990FX/990X/970 - SB950
RAM =
SSD =
Monitor(s) =
Waterblock =
WC Accessories = Arctic Silver 5 + MCT-5 + ClearFlex 60 Tubing (10')
OS = Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit - OEM

I'd like very fast RAM & SSD with some good overclocking of the CPU. As said before, I do CAD & Photochop work and some gaming since this is my main home rig.
Since this stuff is just hitting the market I'd like to look around at reviews a bit and see which motherboards are pulling interesting overclocks. At the moment I am partial to Asus & Gigabyte but not sure which chipset I want (990FX/990X/970). Also, which RAM will be making the difference? Will CAS make a difference and which speed should I get without breaking the bank. I'm willing to spend a little more to get a little more but I also like to overclock.

So there you have it. Feel free to post reviews, and opinions are welcome.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Monitor: HP ZR24w
    RAM: OCZ something or other,
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-2133 kit (like http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-17000-reaperx-hpc-8gb-dual-channel.html)

Also, it seems to me like you'll get the best value out of 990X, but you'll have to see what they do with the power phases for overclocking.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Ram = not OCZ, we are not making ram anymore.
    edited June 2011
    Then anyone else will do fine. I've always liked G.SKILL, Patriot or Kingston.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Then anyone else will do fine. I've always liked G.SKILL, Patriot or Kingston.
    Why no love for Mushkin?

Would there be any benefit to going with CAS7 over CAS9 (dual channel of course)? I would have to sacrifice the extra 4GB for speed if that is the case but that is fine with me.

This is the 8GB CAS9 Mushkin set I've been looking at:
    Mushkin Enhanced Redline (2 x 4GB) 2133 (PC3 17000) 996997

Or G.SKILL has a few 4GB sets that could be interesting at CAS7:
    G.SKILL PI+ Turbulence 2 x 2GB) 2133 (PC3 17066) F3-17066CL7D-4GBPIS
    G.SKILL PIS Series (2 x 2GB) 2200 (PC3 17600) F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series (2 x 2GB) 2200 (PC3 17600) F3-17600CL7D-4GBXHD
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Why no love for Mushkin?

They've had a pretty poor track record with following through on promises made to Icrontic. If they can't uphold those promises, I don't have high hopes for paying customers.
    Would there be any benefit to going with CAS7 over CAS9 (dual channel of course)?

Impossible to answer without knowing how Orochi's IMC responds to memory latency.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    They've had a pretty poor track record with following through on promises made to Icrontic. If they can't uphold those promises, I don't have high hopes for paying customers.

*huggles*
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'd go with Gigabyte over Asus for the motherboard. I'm kind of biased but I guess that's because I got a factory dead Asus one before my Gigabyte...

For RAM, try going with Corsair. They have really nice customer service and great products!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Would there be any benefit to going with CAS7 over CAS9 (dual channel of course)?
    In benchmarking, yes but only in synthetic tests. In reality, there is such a minimal difference at modern RAM speeds that you'd never see a tangible gain. Clock speed is far greater than CAS latency.
    edited June 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Monitor: HP ZR24w
    Dang look at the price tag on that thang?
    How does this compare? I'm just saying ...it really is a sweet monitor but I'm trying to find the deal in it.

SAMSUNG 2443BWT-TAA-1 Black 24" 5ms 300 cd/m2 DCR 20,000:1 (1,000:1)
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Dang look at the price tag on that thang?
    How does this compare? I'm just saying ...it really is a sweet monitor but I'm trying to find the deal in it.

SAMSUNG 2443BWT-TAA-1 Black 24" 5ms 300 cd/m2 DCR 20,000:1 (1,000:1)
    Here's a much better price on the HP display. This is where I got mine.
    http://www.pcmall.com/p/product~dpno~8086055~pdp.gbbaghb

Benefits to the HP display:
    - inclusion of a DisplayPort
    - S-IPS panel gives the best color accuracy (sufficient for professional photo editing)
    - also does swivel for portrait setup (Samsung only does height/pivot)
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Here's a much better price on the HP display. This is where I got mine.
    http://www.pcmall.com/p/product~dpno~8086055~pdp.gbbaghb

Benefits to the HP display:
    - inclusion of a DisplayPort
    - S-IPS panel gives the best color accuracy (sufficient for professional photo editing)
    - also does swivel for portrait setup (Samsung only does height/pivot)

I have no idea if I can interface to Displayport with my current card but it may be useful in the future.
    Color accuracy is good.
    Portrait setup has always been unecessary for me in the past but I've been doing more and more documentation lately so who knows?

At this price I would consider it. No idea why the Egg is so high on this price.
    Thanks for this link.
    edited June 2011
    What's the OS concensus here? Is Ultimate so much better than professional which is so much better than home????
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    What's the OS concensus here? Is Ultimate so much better than professional which is so much better than home????
    Home Premium is fine for almost everyone. Use a higher version only if you actually need the extra features (comparison chart).
    edited June 2011
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    I'd go with Gigabyte over Asus for the motherboard. I'm kind of biased but I guess that's because I got a factory dead Asus one before my Gigabyte...

For RAM, try going with Corsair. They have really nice customer service and great products!

I've had an issue with an Asus board myself that was resolved by the release of a new motherboard ...hardly fixed my issue at all and in fact just pissed me off. I have no problem choosing Gigabyte over Asus at all. Right now I've got my eye on these two boards:
    GA-990XA-UD3
    M5A99X EVO
    edited June 2011
    Personally, my choice is with gigabyte as well. Ever since they introduced their P965 boards for the Core 2 Duo, that company has been drinking from a whole new magical pool of engineering genius.
    edited June 2011
    I do like Corsair ...but I would have a hard time justifying CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB 2000 (PC3 16000) with Airflow Fan Model CMT8GX3M2A2000C9 over CORSAIR XMS 8GB 2000 (PC3 16000) CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 at all.

The Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB 2000 (PC3 16000) PX538G2000ELK would be a contender but it is currently out of stock. I've got time.

Here again is a huge price difference between G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB 2133 (PC3 17000) F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD and G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 2000 (PC3 16000) F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM ...at the lower prices I think I could easily be convinced to go the 2x4GB route.
    edited June 2011
    There's nothing Corsair offers that can't be had from someone else at a cheaper price. It's a brand tax.
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Home Premium is fine for almost everyone. Use a higher version only if you actually need the extra features (comparison chart).

Wow thanks a bunch for this comparison chart, it helps a lot.
    I do think that I would prefer Home Premium however, Professional may be what I need. Here's my reasoning. Professional has "Windows XP mode" which may be what I need to run AutoCAD 2004. I'm not upgrading AutoCAD because this what we still use at work ...and it is out of my budget (for now anyway).

If I can run AutoCAD 2004 or later on Home Premium then it's mine.
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Wow thanks a bunch for this comparison chart, it helps a lot.
    I do think that I would prefer Home Premium however, Professional may be what I need. Here's my reasoning. Professional has "Windows XP mode" which may be what I need to run AutoCAD 2004. I'm not upgrading AutoCAD because this what we still use at work ...and it is out of my budget (for now anyway).

If I can run AutoCAD 2004 or later on Home Premium then it's mine.
    According to Microsoft, you'll need XP Mode.
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    According to Microsoft, you'll need XP Mode.

Also says I'll need CPU virtualization. Will FX8130P provide this?
    edited June 2011
    Any modern CPU will.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    There's nothing Corsair offers that can't be had from someone else at a cheaper price. It's a brand tax.

Brand tax? Depends on where you get it from. I got my single 4 gig stick for 50$
    csimon wrote:
    I've had an issue with an Asus board myself that was resolved by the release of a new motherboard ...hardly fixed my issue at all and in fact just pissed me off. I have no problem choosing Gigabyte over Asus at all. Right now I've got my eye on these two boards:
    GA-990XA-UD3
    M5A99X EVO

Both of those boards are newer models then the one I had. Gigabyte all the way!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    But you can get 2 x 4GB sticks for $75 or less from another manufacturer, bought 3 sets myself.
    edited June 2011
    Hopefully this coming week will bring more motherboard reviews of the chipset variant 990X which I have seen none of thus far. In searching for information I came across something at the Asus website that caught my eye. The chipset description for the 990X & 990FX HT speeds are identical and I'm sure this was something unintentional and somewhat of a typo. So if ...

"AMD® 970 Chipset is designed to support up to 4800MT HyperTransport™ 3.0 (HT 3.0) interface speed and PCI Express™ 2.0 x16 graphics."

"AMD 990FX Chipset is designed to support up to 5.2GT/s HyperTransportâ„¢ 3.0 (HT 3.0) interface speed and dual PCI Expressâ„¢ 2.0 x16 graphics."

Would this make the following statement true?

AMD 990X Chipset is designed to support up to 5.0GT/s HyperTransportâ„¢ 3.0 (HT 3.0) interface speed and dual PCI Expressâ„¢ 2.0 x16 graphics."

Can this be assumed, or where can I confirm this logic?

Does it even matter? ;D
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    This? It says they all run at 3200 mhz and HT 3.1 right?
    Ok here I ask myself once again ...is it me that is confused or Asus once again?
    edited June 2011
    csimon wrote:
    This? It says they all run at 3200 mhz and HT 3.1 right?
    Ok here I ask myself once again ...is it me that is confused or Asus once again?
    It's hard to say. I can't say anything for sure until the official product announcement is made this week. Specs should be publicly available soon.
    edited June 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    It's hard to say. I can't say anything for sure until the official product announcement is made this week. Specs should be publicly available soon.

Thanks for that information. I consider myself that much more educated on the subject for certain. :csimon:
    edited June 2011
    Oh I smell benchies coming soon.
    edited June 2011
    Hopefully some parts will land on my doorstep soon as well :)