ICSP 2012: Date change?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Community
ICSP is currently scheduled for March 16-18.

The Marche du Nain Rouge is now scheduled for March 25.

Would anyone's plans be ruined if we moved ICSP a week later to coincide?

I will close this discussion when a decision is reached. Please don't change/make new travel plans until that happens :)

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    What is a Marche du Nain Rouge?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Your google fu is not working: http://marchedunainrouge.com/

"Over 300 years ago, around the same time the city of Detroit was founded, an evil was discovered in and around the city. An evil that has plagued the people and the city, and even wrecked havoc upon the founder of Detroit, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. This ‘evil’ was said to have been a Nain Rouge, other wise known as the “red dwarf of Detroit.” This malevolent spirit cursed generations and brought ill tidings for many Detroiters. It wasn’t until La Marche du Nain Rouge, held the Saturday closest to the vernal (spring) Equinox, did the people of Detroit come together to abolish the Le Nain Rouge — until his fearful return the following the winter Solstice."
    edited January 2012
    Your google fu is not working: http://marchedunainrouge.com/
    I thought it'd be nice to have a description in the thread, and also to hear why my friends want to do whatever this is, and how much time it will take away from general socializing...

...jerk.

Also: That website has a very poor description of what the event actually is. From what I can tell: costume party for hipsters?

Edit: or maybe: costume party where you dress up like a hipster at a costume party?

Another edit: Okay. I think I got it: A costume party for hipsters to to dress up like they think other people think hipsters dress up for a costume party...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    It's basically a street festival with beer, etc. It's 1pm - 7pm on Sunday, so it doesn't interfere with our normal Fri/Sat night festivities. It's only a mile from the new house, so there's no worries about needing designated drivers, etc. I bet it'll be a blast.
    edited January 2012
    Oh. beer. of course.
    Oh. beer. of course.
    YOU CAN BRING WHITE RUSSIANS AND NO ONE WILL JUDGE YOU CB.

;)
    edited January 2012
    YES THEY WILL! They'll say "You must really like The Big Lebowski!", and I'll have to say, "THAT MOVIE DID NOT INVENT THIS DRINK!" just like I do everywhere I go with that drink in my hand! But then I have to admit, "BUT, YES, I DO REALLY LIKE THAT MOVIE ALONG WITH ALL OF THE COEN BROS. FILMS." but then I'll think for a moment and amend, "EXCEPT FOR RAISING ARIZONA, THAT ONE WAS DUMB."
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    It would be nice to be in town during SP for once, I usually get boatloads of crap about it. And I do love me some street festivals. And it gives you one more weekend to get the house ready. I vote move it.
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    I don't mind moving the date a week later. In fact since I don't have an exam the 23rd like I do the 16th that would mean I could have a long weekend Thurs-Sun as opposed to Friday evening to Sunday morning on the original weekend. Bottom line is, unless anything comes up for school I should be game with date change <3
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I can't make it if it's a week later. March 16 is the start of Spring Break, and it's my birthday, so it would be a splendid time to have ICSP for me. Don't break my heart.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    It is much more likely I could make it the following week. Even if you don't change it, I am considering a visit in the near future.
  • Where did I miss the announcement on the new house?
    www.intodetroit.com
  • Just FYI, there are a few options to post such intriguing announcements that most Icrontians visit: here, here, here, and even here. Personally I stopped visiting intodetroit when there were about three months without a site update.
    edited January 2012
    @GHoosdum I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with everything so I'm just blogging quick while things are fresh. I haven't closed yet and I'm by myself this week with the kids. There will be more official info next week.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Stop the thread derailment!

I can make it either weekend, so i f we want to stick with the original, that's OK with me.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I can't make it if it's a week later. March 16 is the start of Spring Break, and it's my birthday, so it would be a splendid time to have ICSP for me. Don't break my heart.
    I decided to dial back my drama. I may be able to make it the following week, but I won't know for awhile, since I'm waiting on my teaching and exam schedules.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    I don't think the time change would make a difference for me, although I don't think I could go to the Sunday event.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    This thread needs a 100% more yes/no poll.
    Well, I am coming out the proposed new weekend (baring someone telling me I cannot) whether ICSP is then or not. Prepare yourself @Lincoln
    edited January 2012
    This thread needs a 100% more yes/no poll.
    I'm mentally weighting replies based on more than count. I'd rather someone actually comment and explain what's up.
    I am indifferent, I would not be attending Marche regardless.
    I guess I should make a serious reply. I don't mind either way. Niether weekend is more convenient for me at this point and, like Ryder, I wont be staying into Sunday afternoon either way.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I think the Marche would be awesome, but I have no opinion on the date change. Regarding my work situation, I think it is unlikely that I'll make it either weekend.
    I'm going to keep it on its current date.

It looks likely the new house would not be ready by ICSP anyway, so it makes little sense to predicate it on an event we won't be near. The current ICHQ has got one more event in her I hope. Six weeks just ain't enough for what we gotta do.

If anyone wants to contribute any of their time to the house before Friday or early afternoon Saturday the weekend of the event, let me know. I'll provide the food and beer. :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    If we move the date, and also attend that festival, and work on the new house (if things go well), we could crash on cold floors. ;) Just bring some sumos to the new house, whether it's ready or not! People may be more likely to help do work on the new house if we sleep there. :P
    Also, I'm pretty much game for either weekend at the moment. Once it's more set in stone, I may consider putting in for taking a Friday off, or getting out early to be able to spend more time with everyone.
    Just read more about the Marche Du Nain Rouge. Matt, I'm in to join you in attending this no matter which weekend is ICSP. It involves history, chariots, drinking, music and beer. In.
    I'm in as well. I just told Matt (baring him saying now) I'll be in town. I'm willing to work as well.
    I'm in as well. I just told Matt (baring him saying now) I'll be in town. I'm willing to work as well.
    You're always welcome. :)