If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Ardi gets fit

ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master BLansing, MI Icrontian
edited 7 Mar in Fitness
As those of you who have met me know, I'm not a very svelte person. Never have been. Don't even know what it's like to be "in shape". Since college, though, it's only gotten worse. Last year, my girlfriend decided to join WeightWatchers after getting her photos back from her annual beach vacation with her family (contentedness breeds inactivity, right?). At the time I couldn't afford to join her. Finally, mid-January, I had freed up enough money in the budget and and joined as well. I'm 1 month in at this point and have lost an underwhelming, but better than nothing, 7 pounds. That leaves only 118 (or roughly 1/3 of my body weight) to go in order to reach my "maximum safe BMI".

As the second part of my commitment to getting fit, yesterday I completed my first ever 5k, the Heart Throb 5k. Obviously, since both Marysia and I are quite out of shape, we were at the far back of the pack (though not the last people to finish at least). It was a bit of a struggle and I'm definitely feeling it today, but it was nice just to finish it. My goal on this front is to get in good enough shape to compete in Run For Your Lives, the zombie 5K. This is obviously going to take some time (I'll be shocked if I'm able to do this by the later 2013 dates), but hey, that's what long-term goals are supposed to be, right?

Just thought I would post here to keep myself accountable... hopefully I'll be updating this thread from time to time with accomplishments.

Also, inb4 Thrax tells me I'm doing everything wrong.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Detroit, MI Icrontian
    We're here for you. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    It's really going to help when work finishes putting in the gym in DC3. I'm already here 5 days a week, being able to just walk upstairs and hop on a treadmill before or after my shift will make it far easier to train for the 5K.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    The hardest part about doing anything is actually starting it. You've already crossed the biggest hurdle, now it's just about sticking with it. That's what we're all here for.

Now go eat some vegetables :)
    Vegetables... *shudders* I do not enjoy those. My fruit consumption has gone through the roof though (I'm making multiple trips to Horrock's Farm Market a week now). Fresh fruit is all 0 points on Weight Watchers (not all vegetables are though). They encourage using fresh fruit for snacks during the day. Bananas, apples and oranges have all become fixtures on my desk. Thinking I should get one of these for my desk: http://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-FH-300-Beech-Veggie-Hammock/dp/B00004S1DL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329163592&sr=8-1 :D

Side note: Marysia finally managed to get me hooked on sushi, which is mostly low-points and very filling. Also, she's thrilled because she loves sushi and was sad that I didn't because it meant I would never take her out for it.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    7 pounds in a month is not a bad start. Don't get discouraged by thinking that small progress might as well be no progress. Just keep up the motivation and remember it's not going to happen overnight. Having your girlfriend work with you will be a good way for both of you to keep at it. Good luck man.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    Caution with fruits, though, lots of sugar. Even though they're zero points, you can hurt your progress with too much of them.

Anecdote: College science teacher went to FL and gorged on fresh oranges (who wouldn't, really?) for 2 weeks. Came back 5lb heavier even with high physical activity on the trip (roller-blading, theme parks, etc).
    edited Feb 2012
    I'd be willing to bet it was the alcoholic drinks he imbibed (or other foods he ate for that matter) that were responsible for the weight. Fresh, whole fruit is also packed with fiber which balances out the higher (natural) sugar content. WW apparently did a number of studies and they all indicated that people lose weight even when eating large amounts of fruit, provided the rest of their diet is sensible.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    My advice is don't hold back on fruit and vegetables.

Good luck Mr. Choke, I know you will do well. This sort of adventure becomes easier in life now that you have established a career and have the time and money to make serious attempts at health improvement. Cheers to you for taking the first steps and dropping that first 7 pounds.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    I'll leave the age old formula here: positive net calories = weight gain, negative = loss. Doesn't matter what source, but there are benefits to eating veggies instead of straight imperial sugar. You can lose weight eating all fast food, if your caloric expenditure exceeds your intake (though I certainly don't recommend it). The "rest of your diet is sensible" is where that comes in.

Good luck, we're rooting for you, etc! :P
    Something fad diets can't figure out:

For weight-loss, it doesn't matter WHAT you eat. As long as your calories out > calories in, you will lose weight. It's all about how much you eat (calorie-wise).

However, WHAT you eat dictates your sense of well-being and energy levels, which have a huge effect on your success rate.

If fruits and veggies satisfy you enough to keep your calorie counts down and you feel good doing it, get to it. If keto satisfies you enough to keep your calorie counts down and you feel good doing it, get to it. If eating Twinkies satisfies you enough to keep your calorie counts down and you feel good doing it, more power to ya.
  • LincolnLincoln Community Instigator Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Sweet, keep it up ardi.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Hey, Ardichoke, stick with it please. I need the inspiration here, as the GP says I need exercise but to stay keep away from making right foot bear weight a lot until the heel closes over in about a month or two. Right now I am staying even by eating less than I used to, but need to take off 20-28 pounds.
    Le sigh... it figures, I finally post one of these threads and what happens? I weigh in to find I've gained 1.8 pounds. How I've managed to do that on the same week I did a 5k and stuck to my diet is beyond me. My only thought is part of it must be due to weighing in later in the day than normal, thus having food in my system from lunch.
    Entirely possible. Everything I've read about weigh-ins is to do them either daily and at the same time, or weekly and don't micro it so much.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    I can make my weight swing by 11 pounds in 24 hours.
    Yeah don't sweat it. My weight fluctuates 4-8 pounds in a day. No joke. Pick a consistent time to weigh yourself. I use the morning after my poop and shower.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Yeah don't sweat it. My weight fluctuates 4-8 pounds in a day. No joke. Pick a consistent time to weigh yourself. I use the morning after my poop and shower.
    Best time ever, actually. You're at your lightest for the day.
    Also keep in mind that your last meal before bed, and how long you sleep, impacts your morning weigh-in also.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Member
    Join MyFitnessPal.com Ardi, it is like Facebook for counting calories. You can share your "Food Diary" with other users and hassle them about eating badly. It also have an Android app so you can scan barcodes on food to quickly upload what you eat.

If you join let me know and I will send you a friends request. I started doing this last year and when I counted seriously for 5 months I lost about 17 pounds, I have since gained some back though.
    MomOfRose
    I already do all of that for WeightWatchers and use their eTools.

The weigh-in was for WeightWatchers. Normally I do it on Tuesday at the noon meeting, before I have lunch. This time, due to scheduling issues, I went to the 5:30pm one... obviously after lunch. Didn't have a big lunch, but still it no doubt had an effect. I just don't see how it could have been THAT much of an effect.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    You are probably drinking a lot of water while dieting. Your lunch probably had a little salt.
    I mean, I'm just guessing, but it seems like your body just had some water retention that was more than usual and you had bad timing. I don't think it is much to worry about. Don't sweat it (pun intended).

FWIW, I agree that weighing yourself in the morning before you eat or drink anything is ideal for consistency.
    1.8 pounds is absolutely nothing.

This type of thing is also the reason I never weigh daily, it's just an exercise in frustration.
    I don't weigh in daily either. I do it weekly. Every Tuesday to be precise.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Member
    I drink about a gallon of water a day, and that weighs about 8 pounds alone.
    And you piss it out almost as fast as you drink it.
    New week, new weigh in.

Week: -6.6 lbs
    Overall: -11.8 lbs
    Avg weekly: -2 lbs

I was concerned about this one given my gain last week and the fact that I took Marysia out for a fancy (and not healthy) 4 course Valentines dinner. Turns out I ate sensibly enough the rest of the week that it didn't cause me any issues.

Also, this week I discovered that I like raw spinach (in moderation) on subs. I also made some wicked awesome (and surprisingly healthy) chicken tacos. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into strips, seasoned with some Penzeys Bold Taco seasoning, browned them in a pan (non-stick, no oil). Added salsa to the pan and let the chicken stew in it a bit til it started falling apart. Threw it on a low carb, high fiber tortilla with some low fat cheese, greek yogurt, black beans and more salsa. OMNOMNOMed.
    Nice work. 2lb/week is not bad at all.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Congratulations, ardichoke.
  • TsumeBonesTsumeBones San Diego
    congrats!

Have you tried making green smoothies? Here is a nifty Mix-match Green Smoothie chart that has about 336 recipes!

http://www.vitamix.com/household/infocenter/greensmoothie.pdf

The key to eradicate the veggie taste is to use ripe fruit. I freeze ripe bananas and buy frozen fruit in bulk at costco.
    As of Tuesday, I'm down 16.4 lbs, still averaging 2 lbs a week. Just .6 lbs more and I'll have lost 5% of my body weight.

Thanks for the info, I really don't have any interest in the smoothie fad though. I want to actually /eat/ my food, not drink it. It's more enjoyable that way.
    Psh, that stuff from the matrix has everything the body needs.
    Except flavor. THE BODY NEEDS FLAVOR.

"I thought I was pretty clear when I said, 'It has everything the body needs.' Son, I am disappoint"
  • MAGICMAGIC Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Congrats man, well done.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited Mar 2012
    I am totally psyched that someone else knows Vita-Mix! It is the best thing in the world... ::Looks around expecting CB to make fun of me::

For serious though, Ardi, congrats on the weight loss. Fruit is my best friend and I don't have any problem losing and maintaining a weight loss with it, but everyone is different and different goals require different fuel. If I was trying to get into fitness modeling or figure competitions I would have to cut it out because fruit sugars still causes skin bloat that just isn't that attractive in a bikini, but since I plan to remain fully clothed in public I don't care if my skin looks less tight than it could.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC
    @ardichoke Hey dude, YOU GOT THIS! And I agree with a few people above me try Vita-mix....it works!
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo So, it's all dream, right? Icrontian
    @ardichoke Keep it up, dude! Yeah, the vita-mix thing isn't a bad idea, but if shakes aren't your thing then no need to "power them down" during a weight loss period. There are tons of alternatives, but this is all a complete lifestyle change as well. I continually live behind weight loss and healthy eating as how good you feel inside (energy levels, body processing food, etc...) rather than the outside. Once the body internally adjusts the outside will as well. Good luck, man!
    Haven't updated this in a couple weeks.

Hit my 5% mark last week. Lost another 3.4 this week. Now down 21 lbs for an average weekly of 2.1 lbs. At the current rate, I'll be under 300 lbs for the first time since my freshman year of college around mid-May and I'll be around my lowest high school weight (285) by the time I go on vacation in July with my girlfriend and her family. I thought about rewarding myself with breakfast from McD's today post weigh-in, then thought no, that's a bad idea. Stopped at Panera instead and got a Mediterranean breakfast sandwich (egg white, roasted tomato, spinach, pesto and cheese on ciabatta). Much better decision and tastes way better than the greasy crap from the arches.
    I think that's a downfall point for a lot of people when dieting. For some reason, we feel that the crap food we were eating before is something good and special, therefore to be used as a reward.

In fact, food like that should be consumed extremely sparingly, if at all.

I took a 4-day weekend last week and had a bunch of stuff I hadn't eaten since before January. I realized that I missed it much less than I thought, and by the end of the last day, I was 100% ready to get back into my keto routine.
    One of the big hurdles to losing weight for me is the fact that I'm a carb junkie. I love bread (especially fresh baked bread when it's fresh out of the oven) and pasta. I recently discovered Carba-nada pasta which is a reasonable number of points, very filling and delicious. I used it this past week to make Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo which was amazingly delicious and far more filling than one would expect. Best of all, a serving of it was only 11 points (as a reference, my daily points allowance is currently 67, thought I usually shoot for 62 as the higher amount was resulting in my yo-yo weight loss when I started).

I doubt it would be quite keto friendly (Carba-nada has 24g carb per serving, far less than the ~40g in most pastas, but still not an insignificant amount), but it's definitely a satisfying alfredo dish for anyone trying to eat a bit more health consciously. Now if only Horrocks would stock the carba-nada roasted garlic fettuccine, I really want to try that one.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo So, it's all dream, right? Icrontian
    If you want to continue eating carbs (which isn't a bad thing as they provide the fuel for energy needed) I would suggest eating them as early in the day as you can (early lunch) and eating them at a minimum to not at all for dinner. I only suggest this because eating them early provides you with ample time to "burn that fuel". Eating them at night only allows it to "sit" and usually results in water retention which can be misleading when doing a morning weigh-in. Just a thought.
    Update time. My weight loss has slowed some, though this is likely due to the fact that I've been out of town every weekend for the past 3 or 4 weeks. This complicates things. I did manage to survive Easter though and still lost weight. I'm now down 23.6lbs overall for an average of 1.8lbs per week.

Had a bit of a slip-up 2 weeks ago when Mo and I went to dinner at Applebee's. I will never again order ANYTHING there that isn't on their Weight Watchers menu. Even the "this shouldn't be too bad" items are, apparently, horrible for you. Blew my whole week on one meal. Still, got myself right back on track the next week.

Now that all the chaos from the past few weeks is over, hopefully I can really get moving again and push that average back up over 2 lbs a week. I'm a mere 10 lbs away from hitting 10% of my weight lost. I'd really like to hit that point by next month.
    Lol Applebees. Its amazing how they can take a dish like oh say a chicken salad and make 1500 cals. Whenever I get railroaded into eating there the Lime Chicken dish off their low cal menue is pretty good. Way to go on the progress.
    The last month or so has been kind of rough due to holidays, traveling, stress and the death in my girlfriend's family. I continued to lose weight, albeit at a much slower rate than I was. I finally got (more or less) completely back on track this past week though. Lost 1.6lbs, finally getting my total over 25.

Stats
    Total lost: 25.6
    Avg weekly: 1.7

I'm a mere 7.4 lbs away from having lost 10% of my starting body weight. That will also put me at roughly the weight I was in college. I still have about 100lbs to go before I'm at a "healthy" BMI, but hey I'm 20% of the way there.

In our quest to live healthier in general, my girlfriend and I started getting our meat from somewhat local sources this week. Specifically Otto's Chicken and Lonesome Pines Beef. They're both a bit pricier than supermarket meat, but not by an unacceptable amount. Plus, no hormones or antibiotics! I made a whole roast chicken the other night and it was possibly the most flavorful and juicy bird I've ever had. Got 4 servings out of it, plus I'll be making soup from the remnants. Not bad for a $7.50 bird.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    That will also put me at roughly the weight I was in college. I still have about 100lbs to go before I'm at a "healthy" BMI, but hey I'm 20% of the way there.
    You're doing great dude, but I had to chime in here on this. I hate BMI as a measurement of health. Having just taken my own self reporting health assessment for work, I noticed they're using BMI as the "recommended weight" for us.

According to the assessment, I'm "Obese" because I'm not in their recommended 135-174 weight range. So frustrating.

Yeah, BMI is a questionable, at best, measure of health. I'm aware of that, but it's what WW uses for their guidelines (though they admit it is only a guideline and it's not accurate for everyone). That said, I haven't done a body fat analysis for quite some time, which is the better metric for what weight you should be at, so for now I'm basing my goal off the top of my healthy BMI range. I'll adjust it once I get some body fat measurements.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Yeah, BMI is a questionable, at best, measure of health. I'm aware of that, but it's what WW uses for their guidelines (though they admit it is only a guideline and it's not accurate for everyone). That said, I haven't done a body fat analysis for quite some time, which is the better metric for what weight you should be at, so for now I'm basing my goal off the top of my healthy BMI range. I'll adjust it once I get some body fat measurements.
    I figured you had this on lockdown. Keep it up!

Quick update.

Total lost: 33.2
    Weekly avg: 1.8

That puts me over 10% of my starting weight lost. It's been a good week.
    Thats great man. Keep it going.