How to boot to the desktop, or banish Metro (from Win 8)

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    ITT: How to miss the point of Windows 8 all together.

-Digi
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    ITT: How to get an operating system that's faster and more responsive than Windows 7 with a desktop OS that's bafflingly optimized entirely for touch devices
    RyanMM
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    In a sense, sure. But for those of us who are slower to change, or those of us with limited funds for 250.00+ and up decent multi-touch screens and little funds for new software versions tuned to Win 8 per se, this can be an option.

The latest thing is touch-screens, but the Surface Pro 128 GB is 999.00+ before keyboard and sans even a cover and stylus. I favor a mouse, own a good one already, have a laptop with no touchscreen and a desktop with no touchscreen.

IF, and I say if, I move to a new convertible laptop, will be a while yet-- like a year or more. For now, I MIGHT adopt new version of Windows if I can use my existing hardware well with it, which will require Windows 8 Pro 64 bit to have a good use of my hardware.

I think Microsoft was banking on a better economy, and did not get it so far. Note that the Surface Pro 128 GB is sold out again on Microsoft's site.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    I have windows 8 on my HP envy. LOVE it! It took some time to get use to it but I love it. I do not have a touch screen too!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    To this date, I still have not been inconvenienced at all by Metro. It's really just a new look for the start menu. Otherwise my user experience is identical to 7. I don't get the fuss.

I said that before and you guys were all like, "that because you're on the preview edition, just wait until you get the full edition, you'll hate it!"

Nope. It's not even a little bit different. I usually don't even remember that it's a new OS.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    The interface frustrates me. It's nowhere near as organized as the start menu, and any time I install software, icons get shat all over the desktop by the installer. Going to the equivalent of "All Programs" isn't any better. Spreading badly spaced icon lists across the screen is no substitute for what used to be available.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'll skip my opinion and just say thanks @straight_man for sharing the link. I'll point people with Windows 8 rage to it.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Thanks for the kind words, Bandrick. I will have more links from time to time..