Just announced: Steam Trading Cards

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2013 in Gaming
This is certainly something new.
Introducing Steam Trading Cards. Steam Trading Cards are virtual cards earned by playing games on Steam. Sets of cards can be turned into game badges and tradable Steam community items.
Play any of the participating Trading Cards Beta games to get trading cards. Up to half the card set is dropped through game play, the other half is earned through your collecting prowess.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Can we get hats for our trading cards?
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Y dey do dis to our poor @BobbyDigi
    BuddyJRahnalH102
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Trade your hats for cards, then your cards in for hats, then those hats into boxes, but then the boxes for keys, then those keys for other cards for games.

Its going to be like exchange rate trading.
    Steam needs a futures market.
    Cliff_Forster
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Don't even go there. Now that you've thought of it, this will materialize and we'll never see Digi's face again.
    I have a few invites for those who want them.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I want a hat with badges on it
    GnomeQueen
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    #cards
  • Something about trading cards always appealed to my mild case of OCD. Sorting, collecting, trading. I may enjoy this.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    When is this starting? What is the random drop rate? Why haven't I gotten one in my idle accounts yet?

Be calm my heart. I am screaming yu-gi-oh every time I find one of these because I have the heart of the cards.
    RahnalH102Canti
    You have to join the group, then hope you get an invite to the beta program. I joined, I got an invite, and I have two invites left to to give out. Once you are in the beta program you start seeing the drops.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I searched the FAQ for this question, but I'm still unsure of the answer: Are the drops retro-active, or do I have to play the games again to get them?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I can confirm these are very much so not retroactive at this time:

-Digi
    Canti
    edited May 2013
    You play games to get up to 1/2 of them. They are dropped based on play time. The other half you have to trade for. That's the gig folks.
    edit: If you are Steam level 10 or above you can get foil cards and foil badges as a result, just sayin.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    Just to clarify- all of these features you're unlocking with these "STEAM Levels" or whatever ARE things that you -don't- have under the current layout, correct?

It would kind of be a big dick move to yoink away basic program functionality to dangle in front of folks just to get them to participate in your big social experiment, IMO.
    Yes, you level up to unlock things on your profile page and grant access to rare foil cards. None of the existing features have been removed.

The whole thing is largely done to try and get people trading and toying around with new social features. There are some rumors about limits on the amount of cards you can have in your inventory, which would indicate a monetization strategy as the cards are already up on the marketplace where Steam takes cuts. Same goes for the fact that you have to trade in order to get a complete set.

Regardless, it's just silly little things you unlock. Example:
    You collect all 9 TF2 cards. You build a TF2 Badge with them. Now you can select, from a list of TF2 images, one for the background on your steam profile.
    Steam will likely never make it so you can use your own image on your profile.

It's all just for fun. Oh, and $
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    It sounds like they felt the need to compete with raptr on the levels thing.
    PirateNinja
    The one nice feature with the card drops. They tell you how many drops are remaining for you.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2013

It's all just for fun. Oh, and $

I love how this image continues to be relevant.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Steam knows how long we have played each game. Not getting the cards retroactively for our existing playtime feels like being cheated.

I get that it would flood the market, but it kind of sucks that people who have played Portal 2, for example, until all possible gaming has been wrung from it's very soul, will go without Portal 2 cards. :/
    CB said:

Steam knows how long we have played each game. Not getting the cards retroactively for our existing playtime feels like being cheated.

I get that it would flood the market, but it kind of sucks that people who have played Portal 2, for example, until all possible gaming has been wrung from it's very soul, will go without Portal 2 cards. :/

I rarely disagree with you, but in this case that is like saying you deserve hl3 for free just because you played hl2 a lot. This is an expansion on Valve's social network, and it has nothing to do with their content with the slight exception that it is the first set of content they have control over and can try this on. They are making a new meta game, and if you want to see the credits you have to pass the game. It's as if you entered a new authorship contest, and said but I've written before so why don't I deserve the prize already? It's a new contest meant to bring on new players. Not that hl3 will ever come out, ofc.
    I don't see the point or value.
    On a personal level, but surely you understand what's going on macro?
    They're trying to suck people into the Steam service with a Skinner Box of no material value. Check. Got it. Crystal. But for the time I anticipate it will take to invest oneself into all these meager rewards... well... have fun with that.
    On a straight up monetary American Washingtons per hour, yes people are probably slaving over this at perhaps .20$/hr to get this stuff. There are two contrasting values here though. What Valve gets in dollars, and what people get in fun which can be converted to dollars using some arbitrary scale.

The point is, it isn't about logic or $/time. It is about Valve trying new things, likely making an excellent income from it, and consumers having a lot of fun playing along. Obviously if your mind is on your money and you are a logical being you won't go for this. I sacrificed a fair amount of opportunity cost this evening getting Steam cards and obviously lost money vs. what I could have made working my day job. It isn't about that though. Anystuff, I get it isn't for you. But hopefully you see how this makes perfect sense for Valve.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Some people buy new Xbox games just to increase their Xbox Gamerscore points. Therefore, I can see people buying up Steam games just to collect more hats cards. That's added value for Valve.
    This is actually rather lame since the card drops do not reset. If you get all of your drops to be unique then you are stuck with no spares to trade, pay to increase steam level. This could be the new bling for market place traders, their MASSIVE STEAM LEVEL...so big.
    Well I officially, completely, stopped caring. I think all of you were right.