Calling all RAID-ers. (no, not the football team)

croc_croc_ New
edited February 2004 in Hardware
I have a couple questions about RAID.

I have 2 identical 120GB IDE WD drives. One is full of data, one is freshly formatted. Can I raid these and still retain the data?

Would I have any advantages using SATA converters and use my SATA RAID controller or stick with the IDE RAID controller (both promise), my board has both. The IDE controller is one UDMA133 supporting 2 devices.

I skimmed/read the FAQ's but didn't really see anything that helps me out. Sorry if its in the FAQ's, but any help is appreciated. :wave:

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    You will loose the data on the full drive if you create an array together with the empty one.
    To see if there is a lot of difference bwteen the controllers, put the empty drive in one of the controllers first, half-fill it with data and run some benches. Save the results and put that drive on the other controller and compare them. For practical reasons, i would stick with the ide controller as it uses less cables and also a part less to worry about, especially if using raid. From my experiences, i would never raid 2 drives with Sata-Ide adapters. To many connection failures when i used them.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited February 2004
    Mackanz wrote:
    You will loose the data on the full drive if you create an array together with the empty one.
    To see if there is a lot of difference bwteen the controllers, put the empty drive in one of the controllers first, half-fill it with data and run some benches. Save the results and put that drive on the other controller and compare them. For practical reasons, i would stick with the ide controller as it uses less cables and also a part less to worry about, especially if using raid. From my experiences, i would never raid 2 drives with Sata-Ide adapters. To many connection failures when i used them.

Thanks for the quick reply! That solves it then, I will just raid them on the IDE.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited February 2004
    RAID FAQ's updated. :)