Convince me to buy a DVD burner :)

DocanoDocano Texas
edited July 2003 in Hardware
DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW? My cousin got a -R/RW with his storebought computer he purchased recently. I still haven't gotten to get my hands on it to see what it can do (in his genius, he bought +R/RW instead of -R/RW discs and has bene too lazy to go buy the right kind), which brings me to my question: For those of you that've read into or purchased them, are they really worth it? It seems that the $100 you spend on a burner (not counting the discs) would be better spent on a 100 gig hard drive for backup purposes.

What do you guys think? I really want to buy one, but I can't justify it to myself, if that makes sense. Also, which one would you recommend? I would primarily use it for permanently backing up data with the occasional DVD movie copy/burn.

All the available formats are so confusing, and it sucks that no one burner can do them all! I appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• MadJohnMadJohn Aragon, GA
    edited July 2003
    Well, if you're having a hard time convincing yourself,
    you probably don't need it, at least not yet! As fast as
    DVD hardware is changing, you might be better off just
    waiting for a while until it sorta plateaus out.

No sooner did I get my Pioneer DVD-A05, then the
    dual format drives start coming out, so there are
    drives that handle both major formats. Plus, there's
    now an 8x DVD+r/rw out. Where will the madness end?

As for DVD itself, I like it. I have a lot of stuff archived to DVD,
    I like the idea of being able to put at least 3 good-quality
    DiVX movies on one disc. I also like being able to back-up
    my store bought DVDs(I just rip the main movie, leave off
    the extras). If you have a large MP3 collection, think of how
    many will fit on a 4.7gb disc!
  • edited July 2003
    i wonder when we will be able to play dvd mp3 cd's in a portable cd player :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    1) -R
    2) Pioneer DVR-A05
    3) Best money I ever spent for backups
  • DocanoDocano Texas
    edited July 2003
    heya Thrax, I remember reading a lot of your posts on the old forums. Welcome back. Thanks for your advice too. I'm gonna look into that drive.
  • edited July 2003
    i have an apple superdrive...i must say, i thought i'd never use a dvd burner...but it has become so useful. i write music, and a raw piece can be up to 3 gigs in space....and it's great to be able to keep it on one disc, instead of finalizing it into a wave file and keeping that. also, it's great for ahem....copying movies...and archiving...etc.
    dvd-r is read in all machines, but some machines have problems reading dvd+...although dvd+rw have more features than dvd-rw. so the pioneer drive that is able to do dvd+/- is definitely a good buy
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I'm still around, just posting mostly at S-M these days because that's where most of my friends went after the split.
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    I'm hoping that they'll bring out dual layer burners... that would make my mind up.

But as for now, the media is finally reasonable price here (in Australia) so it seems a pretty reasonable time to get one.