Build a PC from parts to software: the right way

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited January 2009 in Science & Tech
This is a complete step by step guide on how to assemble a PC from a box of parts to a working computer with WindowsXP fully installed, updated and tweaked. This guide will take you from parts to software the right way.

Read it here

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Excellent article MM!

Passed the link along to a friend who wanted to build her own PC. She was very thankful :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    Just a comment:

I've never, ever, EVER had issues with using magnetic screwdrivers on computers. And I've used one on a good 100+ systems now.
  • edited October 2003
    another comment:

NEVER EVER BUY CHEAP MEMORY!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Great article :thumbsup:, i wish i had one of these when i started
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Excellent article! :thumbsup:
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2003
    Geeky1 said
    Just a comment:

I've never, ever, EVER had issues with using magnetic screwdrivers on computers. And I've used one on a good 100+ systems now.

Neither have I but...for new user sake it is better to be safe than sorry.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    (Why does "Supplied by: Short-Media" link to www.zalmanusa.com ?)

I definitely could have used this in my more naive days, I'm sure it'll help a lot of people :)
    edited October 2003
    what...what mistake...I never make mistakes...a wrong link...baaaaaaaaaaaahhh....never.

:rolleyes: :banghead:
    edited October 2003
    I had the pleasure of an email from a concerned SM reader about this article. I thought I'd share and address a few comments.

"Recommending a 365W PSU as minimum?? Most machines will run on 300W without any problems unless you get some cheap brand. "

It is true that most PCs will run on 300W but I feel better about recommending a minimum of 365 W for two reasons. 1) A bit more power headroom for future expansion and 2) exactly what the person said..."unless you get some cheap brand" which we know that a lot of less expensive cases come with "cheap brands". Recommending min 365 W will be a step towards a problem free PC.

"Also, you state that the master device always goes on the end of a ribbon cable. Wrong. Unless your motherboard is ridiculously picky it doesn't matter if you put it on the closer one to the board or the one on the end. In fact, it doesn't matter if you have two drives and put the slave on the end connector and the master on the other one. "

Perhaps so but good habits should be set in place from the very start. I did not state that it was right or wrong. I said to get in the habit of it.

"Let's see...oh, IDE cables have FEMALE connectors, not male, where the drives have the MALE connectors, not the female."

I may stand corrected. After reading this comment I looked around and I saw cables named both ways. BUT for arguments sake the male PIN is in the drive while the female side receives the PIN. EIDE cables have female connections (that oddly enough insert INTO the male receiver. But I stand corrected (rather I sit at this moment.) My apologies for the error.

"Also another good idea when building a machine is to assemble the board outside of the case to test and make sure that your board, CPU, RAM, PSU and video card are all working properly before sticking it into the case. That way it's less troubleshooting if you run into a problem."

Perhaps for a seasoned enthusiast but this article is for the new DIY PC builder and that's a pretty tall order for someone who's never done a build before. Remember...this guide was written for people NEW to PC building and as only a guide to learn from and adapt from.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited October 2003
    yes cables are female... Scsi has male ends... easily confusable after years of working on both types... We wont hold it against you MM.. fantastic article...

Gobbles
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Righto. IDE cables are female. The drive has male pins, and the cable receives the pins, thusly it's female.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    The only thing I would recommend are pictures of attaching the heatsink, since that's one of the scariest parts for a noob builder.

Otherwise a great "how to", with great pics.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    YGPM MM. A few more things.;)
  • edited March 2005
    Guy, I do not know, who to thanks personally, but a big thanks, a big hug...

I wish, I would know your site, before Mr. Bill Gates, and save myself and zillions others so manies hours fighting with either hard or software..

One last word...Thanks
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    MediaMan wrote:
    "Also, you state that the master device always goes on the end of a ribbon cable. Wrong. Unless your motherboard is ridiculously picky it doesn't matter if you put it on the closer one to the board or the one on the end. In fact, it doesn't matter if you have two drives and put the slave on the end connector and the master on the other one. "

(disclaimer... this is not directed at MediaDude in any way but rather the nameless poster who attempted to correct his article)

I am sorry kind sir but I have to politely correct you. I have built several thousand PC's and been in the buisness over 20 years and your post is simply... Uhhhhhh..... wrong... wrong.... wrong... Please!!!!!! do not in any way take this post as derogatory to you personaly in any way or form. I belong to a group which trys to prevent the spread of erroneous information via the internet and I am required by our bylaws to post this response or risk a terrible physical beating by our Master. You wouldnt want that now would you?

It does matter and has nothing to do with a "ridiculously picky" motherboard though.

Cheers and have a Blessed Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus still loves ya!

Tex
  • edited July 2005
    The best written article in do it yourself computers. My hat off to you all.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited July 2005
    Good work MediaMan !

Best guide i've ever seen ! :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Somehow... I missed this article. GREAT WORK. :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2006
    Sorry but in Firefox this thing is WAY bigger then 1024x768 and I dont know what the hells up with that. Maybe this page and fourm was optimized for IE but I cant read it when half hte page is off the screen... way to annoying.
  • edited January 2009
    great work!! thank you
    but i have question
    how can i know the heat of each part??
    and what is the normal temp for PC ??
    thanks agian