my keyboard is messed up

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited June 2008 in Hardware
Sorry for the lack of info but I need to keep this short since keyboard is messed up.

my laptop's keyboard isnt working right. only 1 out of every 3 or 4 key presses works.

scanned with adaware, superantispyware

wtf is wrong?! (im using laptop now, took forever to type because of it)

usb mouse is fine, but touchpad is messed up also. vista runs at normal speed though

suggestions please!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Maybe your keyboard is broken.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Try USB keyboard, and tell us how it works.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    If USB keyboard works it sounds like either your keyboard is borked or the connection needs to be reseated. Hopefully it's the latter, because it will take 10 minutes and is really easy on most laptops.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2008
    It's working fine now. It's done his once before but not nearly for as long. The first time it happened I just reset my computer and it was back to normal. When it just happened last night it went on for several hours and at least 5 or 6 resets.

Is the touchpad also connected with the keyboard? If so then it definitely makes sense that it wasn't working either.

anyway, my laptop's keyboard is back to normal now.

edit - forgot to mention that the special function keys worked fine when every other key wasn't working. ex (fn+volume, or fn+screen brightness)
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    My semi-educated guess is that the keyboard controller got misseated somehow, but if your fine, then i guess it dosent matter anymore.
    edited May 2008
    The keyboard keeps on acting up every now and then. It just started doing it again, actually midway through this sentence.

What can i do to fix it?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Most laptops only require a few screws to be removed from the bottom before the keyboard can be removed. Some require that you remove the panel directly above the keyboard and then unscrew the keyboard from the top. Either way, be a geek and figure out how to remove your keyboard. Then reseat the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard. Be careful, do not pull on the cable or it will break. It is paper-thin. Most use a connector that has to be "opened" before the ribbon can be pulled out. The ribbon will easily slide in/out when the connector on the motherboard is in it's "open" state. Sorry, I'm not sure how to better describe it, but when you see it you'll know what I mean (hopefully)

That's what I would do first, just reseat it.
    edited May 2008
    OMG this is driving me crazy. It's working perfectly fine now. Next time it happens I'm going to try and re-seat the cable.
    edited May 2008
    reseated it, still have problem.

other suggestions?

driver corrupted? touchpad doesnt work well either and isnt connected directly to keyboard from what i saw.
    edited May 2008
    Did you ever try the USB keyboard? I thought you had, but now I don't see it in thr thread.
    edited May 2008
    Nope, never tried a USB keyboard, but my laptop's keyboard is working fine for now. this is so annoying
    edited June 2008
    help please! i need suggestions
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    They've given you one - plug in a USB keyboard and try that for a week to give it ample time to see if the problem still happens.

No point asking for suggestions when you haven't completed what people asked of you.
    edited June 2008
    Snarkasm wrote:
    They've given you one - plug in a USB keyboard and try that for a week to give it ample time to see if the problem still happens.

No point asking for suggestions when you haven't completed what people asked of you.

Yes, this is part of the troubleshooting process. It will tell us for sure if it is a software problem or a hardware problem.

If the USB keyboard works fine, then something is physically wrong with your laptop keyboard, and it needs cleaning or replacing or something.

If the USB keyboard doesn't work, then something is wrong with a driver or in the OS, and you proly need to refactory your laptop software.

Once we know which path to go down we can do more steps to narrow down the problem further ;)
    edited June 2008
    Ok, so my keyboard starting acting up again for the past few days so I just plugged in a USB keyboard to get my work done. I booted into safemode and my keyboard and touchpad were both working absolutely fine. Restarted back into vista and sure enough, my keyboard and touchpad were both acting up again.

Unfortunately I don't have my vista disc with me, but my last final is thursday and I will be going home then. I'm going to format and re-install vista and hopefully that will fix my problem.

I'm hoping that it's just some program that is making something complicated and will be fixed with a new install.

Any thoughts on this. BTW I'm in safemode again and it's working fine.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Try updating drivers.
    edited June 2008
    Why would it work in safemode but not when in the normal OS?

Wouldn't the drivers be a standard part of the OS even in safemode?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    No. Safe mode is explicitly designed so only the most necessary drivers and services get started.
    edited June 2008
    can anyone help me find keyboard drivers compatable with vista?

I have an acer aspire, and checked their website but found nothing.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Have you tried the European site?
    They might have the drivers you need.
    You didn't have your model # posted, so I couldn't check.
    edited June 2008
    3050 with vista
    edited June 2008
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_3050.html

Under Vista, download the Synaptics Pointing Driver 9.1.0q.
    edited June 2008
    I already tried that and it didn't do anything. I'm pretty sure it has to do with some programs or corrupted files in vista.
    edited June 2008
    Repair install, just in case some Windows files are broken?