Freezes At Windows Xp Splash Screen!!

edited January 2009 in Hardware
I have a outdated gatway with no warrenty. WHen i hit the power button gateway screen loads than it goes to the loading windows xp screen than it freezes.

But before it freezes i notice the mouse and keyboard goes out first than loading bar freezes and nothing else after that

I have already tried to put in the windows xp disk but it freezes when it starts windows.I have also tried to get it to go into safemode but no luck.

I have unplug the c drive and tried to installs windows on D drive but it will freezes on start up. before it installs the windows drivers n etc.

What could my problems be?

Thanks for any help ahead of time =]

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I suspect your memory is bad. Follow this guide to test it: http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86
  • edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I suspect your memory is bad. Follow this guide to test it: http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

okay i have tried this and i didnt get no errors? so i rebooted n still same problem. :grumble: anything else?
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited January 2009
    How long did you test it for? You should atleast do it over night.
  • edited January 2009
    yes i went back n let it run overnight....12 hours n so many mins...60 plus test was done and still no errrors? well anyone know what else i can do just leave a message n thanks to the ones that already answer them =]
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    how dirty is the inside of ur pc?
  • edited January 2009
    how dirty is the inside of ur pc?

not dirty at all i clean it out once a month..the fans . etc
  • edited January 2009
    Well, at first I thought corrupted hard drive. Then when you stated you had trouble installing onto a D drive and working from CD I started thinking IDE controller. It may not be getting proper voltage. Do you have another power supply you can test with? More often than not a faulty PSU will cause all sorts of weird system behavior. Make sure all your plugs are seated correctly with your IDE cable. If they are, I'm betting your power supply is going bad.

I also thought bad RAM like Thrax suggested. How were you able to test it? In another PC? If you tested it in another PC and it seems fine try putting it into a different slot on your motherboard. Sometimes memory slots die. I fixed a system by doing that about 3 months ago. It still means the board is bad if this is the case.

So: Power Supply, RAM slot, IDE controller

check those.
  • edited January 2009
    Well, at first I thought corrupted hard drive. Then when you stated you had trouble installing onto a D drive and working from CD I started thinking IDE controller. It may not be getting proper voltage. Do you have another power supply you can test with? More often than not a faulty PSU will cause all sorts of weird system behavior. Make sure all your plugs are seated correctly with your IDE cable. If they are, I'm betting your power supply is going bad.

I also thought bad RAM like Thrax suggested. How were you able to test it? In another PC? If you tested it in another PC and it seems fine try putting it into a different slot on your motherboard. Sometimes memory slots die. I fixed a system by doing that about 3 months ago. It still means the board is bad if this is the case.

So: Power Supply, RAM slot, IDE controller

check those.

ok thanks i will give those a try tonight and see what i come up with..cause i know i had to move the ram to another slot a couple months ago...and it work fine. but i move them lastnight n it still giving me what i got..only one bad ram slot out of 4.. i tested with the test that thrax suggested..

but im goin to try the power supply and ide controller..

thanks again for ur help