EvE Online - First Impressions

DareDare SD
edited March 2009 in Gaming
So, I've been eager to play EVE when I finally got my new PC.

And now I have.
The game is amazing. The detail, the intricate skill system, the infinite mod-capabilities on each ship, the ship choices, the style of play choices.. Im just, blown away.

And I havent even come close to getting into what drew me to the game in the first place. Gigantic fleets, each ship controlled by a real person, battle gigantic fleets, with a commander in charge of each.. Strategy games on a whole new scale, and it sounded like an amazing time.

And the fact that everyone playing exists in the same universe is great. But the sheer size of that universe, the number of planets and moons and stars you can visit is daunting. Though not in a bad way.

The controls turned me off at first, but I bit the bullet, and kept at it, and soon they felt smooth, almost intuitive, I was rather impressed.

As for the ship modifying stage... What can I say? The ship capabilities are infinite, and theres no true "wrong" way to build. Im going to spend days.. maybe weeks, just toying with different builds of ships, and types.

The skill system has its drawbacks, I suppose. It takes real time. You just click the skill you want, and it starts training. Stage one, maybe 2 hours, Two, maybe 10 hours. Some take weeks to train in the very far end of the game, and you can only have 1 skill training on 1 toon per account.

But I personally dont feel this is a drawback. You put the time into the game, you build properly, you plot it all out, and it pays off. I forsee me playing alot of WoW Battlegrounds while I wait for skills to train in EVE. :D

The graphics are beautiful, and the game runs suprisingly smooth, considering I'm on a 1 bar wireless signal one of our neighbors leaves unlocked for us.

All in all, the game is amazing on first contact, and I have a feeling it will only get more so.

Lyradex Fane is my character, if any of you play.

I'll see you out there space jockeys! XD

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I'll be playing again shortly, I am Boramier(I think) or maybe Borameir. My tune from the beginning... ohh the shill level I'd be today if I just kept playing.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    My buddy down the hall plays it with two clients (dual monitor) and he's been trying to get me to play. He's almost like a drug pusher with it. One thing that has me interested is he says there are hardly any young kids that play as a result of the time required. I may give it a go, but I hardly have any free time as it is.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    My buddy down the hall plays it with two clients (dual monitor) and he's been trying to get me to play. He's almost like a drug pusher with it. One thing that has me interested is he says there are hardly any young kids that play as a result of the time required. I may give it a go, but I hardly have any free time as it is.

Its actually a pretty good game for low time. Login, start a skill training, log out, get back to it a few days later, with some of the high end skills, then log back in and get a brand new ship class, and start training another quick skill for the times you just wanna fly around and blow stuff up.

Running outa time for a few days, just log in occasionaly and start skills. I rather like that about it.

As for the no kids... yeah... The rookie channel is full of people from WoW Screaming for help about how hard the game is. I just keep using the wiki when I get stumped. And the IN GAME BROWSER... rules. Hard. Most the good tutorial and info sites are setup so you can view them while playing in the game. But yeah, I saw countless "Eff this stupid game! WoW's servers are back up!" XD I really kinda was enjoying it. Mebbe I'm a bit of an elitist at heart.

But for a heads up, people are mostly pricks, trying to figure out how to screw you over, with tricks and traps and lures, as PVP is really the main focus of this game. But I personally like that. Find a few good people and just dive in. XD

RWB: See ya in there. XD Im in a corp with me and two of my gamer buddies, they have a small 3 person (counting me) corp, and we just BS for the most part. If you want I can talk to them about you joining. We just wanna keep it trustworthy friendly folks. -Nod- And fairly smallish.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    This is a good game for gamers like myself even without much free time as I can do other things while playing. Back when I was big in it, while I was at work I brought the game in with me on a USB drive and played at my work computer(self running installs rule). I'd be mining while taking calls and doing other work.

When playing at home I'd be with my corp. at some jumpgate waiting for unsuspecting people to jump in and DIE. While waiting though I'd use the in game browser or my main browser to read articles or whatnot.

Basically it's the type of game you can play at whatever pace you want when you need. If you know what your doing, you can quickly and easily go from mining(boring, but gets them creds in at least but mostly for manufacturing for me) to pirate hunting, or pirating :P Downloading the client now so I can play when I get home from work, just got windows 7 installed on my old laptop(not capable of the new graphics though).

Oh, I also recall something about a new updating not only expanding the huge amount of space there is already but also giving skills a nice touch. Since the beginning of the game everyone has asked for a skill que, and now they seem to be adding it shortly. FINALLY! I hated when I had no way to log in to set the next skill, wasted skill training time sucks.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    EVE = EVeryone killing Everyone
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Everyone and their dog always asks me if I play EvE online because of my pseudonym.

Myrmidons were around WAY before EO, dammit!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It's like the Kestrel or Condor.... they both exist in real life too. Or did the Condors finally go extinct? :P
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    This new expansion is fantastic, before I could only run the classic client on my laptop because the game was set to run on specific hardware or something, but after the (massive)update I now have the awesomesauce graphics. When it loaded the station I was thinking why my ship looked so much more rounded(the interon hauler), and realized the graphics were updated.

But now the lack of AA is much more appearent as I run in window mode.
  • ThrallThrall steinbach MB Canada
    edited March 2009
    Dare wrote:
    RWB: See ya in there. XD Im in a corp with me and two of my gamer buddies, they have a small 3 person (counting me) corp, and we just BS for the most part. If you want I can talk to them about you joining. We just wanna keep it trustworthy friendly folks. -Nod- And fairly smallish.

What is your corps tax % because i am looking for a new corp