Wolfenstein: Reinventing Nazi Killing

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    That is disappointing to read. It's sad, the once mighty properties of ID are having trouble re finding their Glory. If anyone were to ask me about Doom 3 and Quake 4, I would say, solid experiences, but nothing innovative or special. When you think about it, the last truly innovative thing ID produced was the multilayer portion of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The team based Multiplayer in that game was ahead of its time. It is a shame that ID has relegated itself to making games that are merely good instead great. ID was the trailblazer, the true innovator in the industry at one time, now they just seem like another player. Perhaps the Bethesda deal will give those old properties a nice shot in the arm?
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Nice write up Kev :thumbup
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Grand Theft Kampfwagen. I have never laughed so hard at anything printed on Icrontic before.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    :D
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited September 2009
    I miss health bars too.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Wolfenstein was the second 3D style game i ever played, loved it!!!!! Catacomb Abyss was my first!!
    Absolutely disappointing to hear about the new one....not surprising though.
    edited September 2009
    Hell yeah, Catacombs! I was so disappointed that the game had a killer bug that crashed it out on some of the last levels. :(
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    I remember playing catacombs when I was quite young. At the time, I didn't have the maturity or patience to figure it out, but the quote in the first graveyard always struck me as funny and I'll never forget it... "A family plot without spending a lot"
  • edited September 2009
    I bought this one and I would say the console-feel to it is what lets it down the most. This is the usual fair of checkpoints, oddly designed menus and limited graphical options topped off by an entertaining but not that special game.

Please wait until this one is a bit cheaper at which point it will be worth a shot. Not worth the 100 aussie dollars I paid for it sadly.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Zuntar wrote:
    Wolfenstein was the second 3D style game i ever played, loved it!!!!! Catacomb Abyss was my first!!

Oh man, I forgot about that one! So awesome.

Great review, Kevin. I think you're spot on when you talk about why we loved early 3D shooters, and how these remakes just don't capture some of those elements. I think it's the same in RPGs, too. I spent tons of time in FF4 checking every wall or vase for hidden treats, but the kind of tricks that worked in the older graphic styles haven't really made it to modern games.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Looking for secret doors and levers is what i liked the most about the early FPS.

LOVED Hexen for this^.
    edited September 2009
    Oh man, Hexen owned SO HARD.
    edited September 2009
    You know, I never actually played Hexen. I think I need to go find myself a DOS prompt.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Hexen = Good times
    edited September 2009
    That pretty much sums up every id game since Doom 3: Not worth the full price, wait until it's $20 or so.
  • DareDare SD
    edited September 2009
    I loved wolfenstien.. but I'm not surprised the new release is nothing special. When we look back on it WITHOUT the rosy glasses of memory, old Wolfenstien blew too.

Doesnt change the fact that at the time it was the greatest game I'd ever gotten to play.

And I have to agree, Fragging hitler at the end was the greatest part of the game. Was just.. epic.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    That pretty much sums up every id game since Doom 3: Not worth the full price, wait until it's $20 or so.

I'd include Doom 3 in with this as well. Never even bothered finishing that game. I've never seen 87 shades of black require so much power to render o_O
    edited September 2009
    "Since" includes the reference noun, which is Doom 3.
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    "Since" includes the reference noun, which is Doom 3.

since, synonyms: after, ago, following, from the time of, subsequent to, until now

Since can, but does not necessarily, include the reference. For instance, if I were to say "I have not driven a car since I was in that horrid accident" it's pretty clear that I was driving at the time of the horrid accident thus the reference is NOT included.

inb4 "what if you were the passenger, derp."
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited September 2009
    Sigh, no nostalgia for me, I wasn't allowed to play games like Wolfenstein, Doom or Hexen growing up :(

Somewhere around Halo 2 or Half Life 2 I finally got clear of all the rules—that's my parents for ya. Then again, I think it's good that they cared enough to know what I was playing growing up.
    edited September 2009
    But not good that they shafted you on games that you could have played and come through alright on.
    edited September 2009
    Wolfenstein 3d first came out when I was 8, I played the hell out of it and I turned out okay.... HEY!... STOP LAUGHING!

Jerks.
    edited September 2009
    Hey, I was 6, and I played the shit out of that game. I turned out well enough to function in society (for the most part).

Sometimes I confuse Brian for Hitler with vulcan cannons for arms, though. I'm working on that.
    edited September 2009
    I always thought there was something suspicious about him.
    edited September 2009
    Das Icrontians wird sich genauso einer soliden aufbauenden Tätigkeit anpassen müssen, wie es andere Völker auch tun, oder es wird früher oder später einer Krise von unvorstellbarem Ausmaß erliegen!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    My first was Doom (Knee Deep in the Dead on Ultra Violence? Time me!), then I got Wolfenstein on a game compendium CD a couple years later and thought it was dumb by comparison. :-/ Missed the boat on that one.

Great piece, Kevin.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    I'm with Lincoln on this, unfortunately. I played Doom extensively, long before I had the opportunity to play Wolfenstein. After the experiences with Doom, wolfenstein just couldn't get my attention.
    edited September 2009
    Das Icrontians wird sich genauso einer soliden aufbauenden Tätigkeit anpassen müssen, wie es andere Völker auch tun, oder es wird früher oder später einer Krise von unvorstellbarem Ausmaß erliegen!

My German is a bit rusty but something about adapting otherwise something will happen?
    edited September 2009
    It's a modification of one of Hitler's speeches on the Jews. This particular passage suggests they pursue "respectable, constructive work"(1) lest they succumb to a "crisis of unimaginable proportions."(2)

The implication was that they were destroying Germany with acts of finance which, because they were allegedly conducted behind closed doors, were cowardly and beneath respect. Hitler vowed that their "actions" would not be tolerated, and failing to find more respectable work, they would be destroyed.

(1) "Das Judentum wird sich genauso einer soliden aufbauenden Tätigkeit anpassen müssen" - Lit: Judaism in the same way [to] a solid building activity adapt must / Trans: The Jews must in the same way adapt to respectable, constructive work

(2) "Oder es wird früher oder später einer Krise von unvorstellbarem Ausmaß erliegen." - LIT: Or [Judaism] will sooner or later [to] a crisis of unimaginable proportions succumb. / Trans: "Or they will, sooner or later, succumb to a crisis of unimaginable proportions."
    edited September 2009
    I once gave my junior high science teacher a Wolfenstein demo for his Mac, and he didn't give us any work the last week of class. He just sat there and played.

Best move ever.