AMD in 2010, part 1: New platforms

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Awesome writeup, can't wait for the next installments.

I'm surprised 28nm is already being approached, as soon as Q4 2010 in the mobile GPU platform.

AMD is certainly a company to keep your eyes on over the next year. They're preparing a massive volley that should shake up the industry, and in the end, it will be good for everyone.

And I'm buying a Lynx platform proc. Just because.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    They better be careful, or their Shrink Ray is gonna run out of ammo. ;D

Awesome to see an aggressive timeline from AMD though. Make Intel sweat a little.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited November 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    They better be careful, or their Shrink Ray is gonna run out of ammo. ;D.

LoL :D
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I really really really REALLY REALLY want a 6-core processor. My folding PPD need some moar cores.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    I really really really REALLY REALLY want a 6-core processor. My folding PPD need some moar cores.

6?

/me points @ bulldozer CPU

8-core CPU, possibly with hyperthreading equivalency.

/me drools
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    MEGA TASKING!!!
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    AMD's line up is not quite that impressive considering Intel will be releasing 6-core and 8-core hyper threading processors in 1Q2010. Intel has really proven it's new architecture, and hyper threading with the i7's over AMD. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-ii-x4-965.html

AMD needs to rethink it's architecture rather then just make tweeks and increase cores.

The Impressive part is the plans for their Future APU line in 2011....If I understand their line, CPUs and GPUs will be replaced with APUs, combining multi-core-CPU and multi-core-GPU on a single APU chip....More like the 9-core processor on the PS3, where each core is dedicated to a specific function allowing more threads to be run at the same time.

Personally I don't like the APU direction, I would rather have more ability to customize a system, still an interesting thought as it would help by-pass the chipset bottleneck.
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    There will be no consumer-level octo-core HT nehalems until the end of 2010, at the earliest. Also, APUs will not be enthusiast processors. Like Intel's Clarkdale and Arrandale chips, the cpus with gpus are strictly for budget applications. The Llano APU will be the same way: purely mobile/budget. There is not enough room on a die to bake in a good cpu and a good gpu.

Lastly, AMD's upcoming implementation of SMT (what intel calls HT), is vastly superior. We will soon be publishing an article that explains why.

However, for all intents and purposes, Intel's current cpu roster will not change much until 2011, and the same is true for Intel. Intel's westmere will be a $1000 Core i9, or a big dump of lame dual core chips. AMD is launching 6 cores soon, with the possibility of up to 12 (Magny-Cours), which closes the thread gap.

TL;DR: intel and amd will both stay relatively idle until 4Q10.

Sorry for the crappy phone typing and the brevity of the information. We'll be publishing a full article soon which explains amd's new cpu plans.
  • edited December 2009
    AMD is doing fine. there Aim is not the preformence crown with the very few selling 1k-2K costing cpu's.
    They aim at the bulk market sub รขโ€šยฌ250 in that price range they do offer some amazing deals. especialy if you are into tweaking of the cpu. you could for example pick up a very cheap athlon quad and turn it into a phenom quad by enabling its l3 cache. tough you have to make sure you buy the right motherboard for it. i would recommend the MSI boards because they advertise most with unlocking capabilities. currently most succes can be achieved on those boards because MSI wants you to be able to do that. But if your not into that and can miss a couple of more tens just go for the phenom 955 it is an amazing cpu for 130 euro stick it into a 785g board and your roughly 100 euro cheaper then intels i5 series. also you get a decent stock cooler with it another factor you could save on