Torchlight Review

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Nice writeup CB. Sounds like I'm going to need to find 20 bucks in my budget to pick this one up.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    CB, there is apparently a trick to decrease load times:
    Go in your "Torchlight" game folder and Rename the "Pak.zip" file to something like "OriginalPak.zip". This is to keep the original file intact.

Next thing is to unzip this renamed file somewhere else on your drive. The unpacked file will have a "Media" folder inside.

Rightclick on that "Media" folder and choose the "Send to" and then "Compressed (Zipped) Folder" option. Yes! Windows own Zipping tool. Don't use any other!

When it's done, you'll have a file called "Media.zip". Just rename this file to "Pak.zip" and move it back to your "Torchlight" game folder.

Notice how the zip file is half the size of the original. Until a patch comes out with this fix, this is a good way to cut down on loading times.

It's related to some difference between the torchlight's zip format and windows' native .zip

edit2:

You can also get fish that permanently change your pet. At least until you feed them something else. Then they will eventually revert to cat/dog
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the tip, Shwaip. I'll give that a try.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Until Steam died for me earlier this week and I had to uninstall and reinstall it, my preferred character was an Alchemist (the Mage class, for those who aren't in the know) set up as basically a summoner/army commander :D

Between spell scrolls and specializing spell points, I had myeslf, my cat, 5 imps, a skeleton, and 4 zombies...and I was only at level 15!

Good times indeed.

It's also heavily mod-able, in many ways. Comes with an editor. There's a few ambitious mods in the works (someone's trying to get a co-op mode working), plus there are some other small mods that change drop rates, add new items, remove the need to identify every item, or change the Fighter to look like the Heavy Weapons Guy... http://i38.tinypic.com/245bk77.png
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I am REALLY glad to see a Netbook mode. I think that's an awesome nod to gamers, and I think more games should do it.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I tried the demo several days ago and had a blast playing it!!! I'll defiantly be picking this one up.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Yes please for the netbook mode! It means I know a game will work on my shitty laptop!

See also: Audiosurf's minimum graphics settings.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    oh man Its been 2 weeks and I am still in love with this game! if only they had a mac version for me on the go!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I ended up picking this game up just before Thanksgiving so I could use it to distract myself from the chaos that is my family get together. As far as dungeon crawlers go, the game is a blast. Unfortunately, it appears that my character is now stuck. I've reached a room that has a book on a table with a speech bubble above it, I assume denoting that it's important and I need to read it, but its not clickable. All ways forward are blocked. I hate game-stopper bugs :(
  • edited April 2010
    i remember something like that around floor 15-20. you may have to go somewhere and kill something...just keep looking around, it may not be a glitch, it may look like that until you complete part of the quest