Why CPU-Z doesn't match your memory's advertised speeds

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Robert,
    Great article. Thanks so much for the explanation. I just built a new Core i7 machine over the weekend with DDR3-1600 memory, and couldn't figure out why the BIOS was showing it as 1066. You saved me an embarassing call to the tech support dept at my vendor.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Glad we could help, Dave. :) Thanks for stopping by.
  • edited December 2009
    Heh heh - now if only the memory vendors will package the memory with all the possible settings. Unfortunately in their haste to market memory as simple to install, many vendors fail to advertise any but the most basic settings (likePC2-8500) -- leaving it to the user community to discover and then seed the settings to the internet. ANd that does not always happen effectively, efficiently or in a timely manner.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    you should talk to ryderocz - he'll get right on it.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Isme wrote:
    Heh heh - now if only the memory vendors will package the memory with all the possible settings. Unfortunately in their haste to market memory as simple to install, many vendors fail to advertise any but the most basic settings (likePC2-8500) -- leaving it to the user community to discover and then seed the settings to the internet. ANd that does not always happen effectively, efficiently or in a timely manner.

But doesn't approach take the fun out of it? Enthuiasts prefer to find out for themselves, that's one of their unofficial goals ;)
  • edited February 2010
    Hello, Is there anyone who has the time to tell a retired disabled vet. what to set the bios to on my pc for my new memory. I'm sorry i just don't understand it. I have a asus P5Q pro turbo with a Q9550 cpu and installed 4 kingston KHX8500D2 for 8gig @ 1066 total cpuz says that they are pc2 6400 (400mhz) any one who has time to help me would be greatly appreciated I'm lost and confused. Thanks for your time
  • If I buy a stick of PC3200 RAM and CPU-Z lists 3 JEDEC settings (200/166/133)MHz, does each settings tell the BIOS what to do?

What I mean is, I set the BIOS to PC3200 speed, but later on I want to over-clock so I under-clock the memory beforehand, to PC2700 speeds. After I select this speed and leave the timings on auto, does the BIOS look for JEDEC and set a lower CAS setting?

If this is the case, then it would be unwise to overlock unless you first the RAM to PC3200, then manually make sure the things like CAS are set to that speed when you go down to PC2700, since the BIOS doesn't know about or care whether you intend to overclock and thus increase the RAM speed. A PC3200 stick with too low CAS would become unstable otherwise.
    edited January 2012
    Those are are safe-boot settings. Certain mobos will request different "safe" frequencies when the user sets an unsupported/unstable memory speed. The timings will be adjusted to suit the new frequencies.
  • I have C2D E8400 with 1333Mhz FSB. What DDR2 RAMemory is better for it 667Mhz or 800Mhz?
    Thanks!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I have C2D E8400 with 1333Mhz FSB. What DDR2 RAMemory is better for it 667Mhz or 800Mhz?
    Thanks!
    Only if you OC the FSB to 1600 will your 800 MHz RAM work right with the rest of your system (If you want FSB OC'd you get to OC other things like CPU, etc, and cool everything more also.). I tend to minimally OC things, and 667 X2 is your FSB speed or close enough to it that it makes no difference. The 667 Mhz is SAFER and more likely to stay truely stable, unless things have radically changed. You want RAM that is half to 1/3 of FSB, and half it is faster than 1/3 of FSB, so I would not go SLOWER than 667 MHz either.

667, 800, it doesn't matter. The RAM will be automatically tuned for the correct bus speed, and everything up to 1066MHz has been approved as a memory standard for DDR2. :)
  • I did some reading but i'm not sure that i understand how it works...Will this PC 6400RAM work on it's 400Mhz or lower? Is it 1:1 ratio important or it is just in theory?Just one info: my MB can suport max PC 6400 RAM and i will not OC because i can't, it is DELL Optiplex 755 SFF comp.Thanks folks!