NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 review

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Decent, but not great FX 3800 benchmarks, the specs looks like it is based on the same specs as 260 GTX so I was hoping it would put up bigger numbers. Its well over double the price of a 5870 and yields around double the performance in most of the tests. I don't know if it would convince me to jump on it over a 5870 depending on application usage, perhaps the FX 4800 might be at the sweet spot since it can be had for $1200+.

If you use maya, there is no question what you should get. While if you use 3ds, the FX 3800 will be your best friend. For CAD, ArcView, Solidworks users its hard to say based on these benchmarks. Though I know the Quadro's including this one, will compete with the V8750 in those apps.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    In interesting review. I would have like to see the ATI firepro v8700 which has performance near the v8750 but at a price competing with the fx3800.

This is also a very narrow review since we only see the three software programs. When it comes to CAD, solidworks, etc; Just like butters said, the Quadros including the fx1800 will compete or beat the Firepro cards.

(thanks for including the ati 5870, when reviewing workstation card one should never leave off a desktop card. I would have like to seen two desk top cards, something like a 260 GTX so we would have an ati and nvidia comparison)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    It seems there are more people than I expected wanting CAD data on benchmarks, so I will work on testing those in the future.

The v8700 is only as 'cheap' as the FX 3800 because it is an outdated product, just as the FX 3700 can be found at a significantly lower price than the FX 3800. ATI replaced the v8700 with the v8750, and with the advances in memory (GDDR5), and other technologies, I couldn't recommend buying the older product, but of course, that is up to your jurisdiction.

I too would like to have a 260GTX for comparison sake. Not sure if we can get one on the test bench, but I'll see what I can do.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    If you can swing some way to benchmark Revit 2010 I would love to see that too. Revit is taking over the market when comes to the construction industry and is fully replacing CAD. It seems there is no benchmarks for Revit and less information on creating benchmarks.....

As for CAD you should skip it if you can't do the 2010 product line or the coming 2011 line. (occasionally I see some stuff for 2009)

Adobe creative suite CS4 is another area for benchmarking that few if any do benchmarks for.

since drivers with workstation cards are specific to the programs they are certified for (or have drivers written for) it's hard to say what the performance will be from a benchmark unless the benchmark is specific to the product in question.

I hadn't heard that the v8700 was being discontinued or replaced with the v8750; I was under the impression that the two cards were co-existing and the v8750 had just taken the place as the top of the Firepro line. With the full line rounding out as V8750, V8700, V7750, V5700, V3750, and the V3700.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I am interested in SolidWorks and Inventor benches.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited December 2009
    Talked to our NVIDIA workstation rep today, he tipped off a good method of benching CAD. I'll see to making those an addition to our workstation GPU reviews in the future.
  • ara
    edited March 2010
    You didn't get suspicious that 3800 got exactly 60fps on each and every Maya benchmark while others vary signifcantly from test to test? There is clearly some limiter at work stopping it from rendering more frames than the display sync rate is. Pro testers...
    edited March 2010
    yes, we are aware of this and are currently working on rectifying the matter. I appreciate your kind and supportive words.
  • edited August 2010
    Does anyone know what the value difference between the FX 3700 and the FX 3800.... Also anyone heard of the issues of getting these cards (quadro) to work in SLI.... appparently only in workstations with certain motherboards, not on just any SLI enabled board.... anyone know about this and possibly how to get around it (I would believe maybe adding your board in the code when installing the Quadro drivers.... but not sure).... Good Review by the way UPS Linux