If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

No Half-Life 2 Episode 3 in 2010

2»

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    Sin sold approximately 30 copies (numbers may be exaggerated to help support point).

Seriously, Sin didn't sell, Sin didn't continue. The Half-Life games have no such issue. Episode 3 would never be canceled, as it would Doom Valve.

And they know that.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited Apr 2010
    UPSLynx said:
    Sin sold approximately 30 copies (numbers may be exaggerated to help support point).

Seriously, Sin didn't sell, Sin didn't continue. The Half-Life games have no such issue. Episode 3 would never be canceled, as it would Doom Valve.

And they know that.
    I don't know if it would doom them, but it certainly wouldn't help.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    omg random internet know-it-all says hl ep 3 wont get made PANIC DIGG DIGG DIGG
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    HL 2: Episode 3 = Duke Nukem Forever !!!!

ZOMG IT"S TRUE!!111!!1 I SEENS IT ON INTARWIBBSS
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited Apr 2010
    Maybe if it never saw the light of day it would be for the better. I'm not sure if Valve knows where it's going with the story, or if they have one.

There, I said it.
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited Apr 2010
    Grimnoc said:
    Maybe if it never saw the light of day it would be for the better. I'm not sure if Valve knows where it's going with the story, or if they have one.

There, I said it.
    As much as I hate to do so, I have to agree with this a little. It's seemed (to me) that Half Life 2, in retrospect, is a bit out there. It doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense when thought about.

That said, in a way I don't want them to rush it but at the same time I really want to play Ep 3. I'm starting to get a bit bored of waiting for Ep 3 and the continuation of the series.

However, Portal 2 and L4D 1+2 DLC in the mean time. Awesome :D
  • mas0nmas0n dallas Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010
    As much as I'm excited for Ep 3, I don't want it unless it's running on a new game engine, which should not be rushed. "Valve time" can be irritating, but they've never released a product I was disappointed with.
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited Apr 2010
    There's nothing wrong with Source, though, especially the Orange Box version.
    Episode 3, if there has to be a final Source game, should be the one to end the engine's life, and then Half-Life 3 appearing on the next.
    edited Apr 2010
    Grimnoc said:

There, I said it.
    Here you go trying this one again. Not satisfied with the results of the troll last time?

Have you actually played all of the HL2 games? The story is fine. The games wouldn't have gotten so much critical acclaim while having a weak/confusing/nonexistant storyline.

InB4 "but AVATAR had a crummy story and it was considered a masterpiece because of the technology prololol"

No. Misplaced acclaim for the technology might have been at the core of Half-Life 2, but not with Episode 1, and certainly not with Episode 2. Three years after the initial release, that engine was doing nothing new at that point.
  • edited Apr 2010
    Half-Life has one of the best story lines I know.

and yes they do have a story...

I'll dig up the link to the video later, but in the video he states "We do have a story, and we are working on the next game of the series." The interviewer ask: "What will it be called?" He replies with "I can't tell you."

*Interview closes*

Then they talk about L42D...

and yes... He mentions Portal 2, along with Counter Strike 2. sooo no telling...
    edited Apr 2010
    Counter-Strike 2: bunny hopping becomes the standard method of movement around a map; players are banned for walking.
  • JoeJoe
    edited May 2010
    I think Valve needs to take it's time, i would rather wait a decade for a really good game rather than just have a mediokre or TERRIBLE game come out every year EX:Madden
  • edited Nov 2010
    It's been three years, episodic or not that's a long time and they haven't released so much as a screenshot. I gave up waiting and let my opinion of valve drop a bit.
    edited Nov 2010
    I hate to admit that I agree with you. At least mention something about it. They've been busy working other games, and they haven't said a word about Ep 3 in years.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    Gordon Freeman is stuck in the future, 2012 to be exact, and in Ukraine

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    What game is that Fatcat?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    Gate28 said:
    What game is that Fatcat?
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    UPSLynx said:
    I hate to admit that I agree with you. At least mention something about it. They've been busy working other games, and they haven't said a word about Ep 3 in years.
    They are just repeating the success formula for Half Life 2. Remember, Half Life 2 felt like that game that would never arrive, but somehow, absence made the heart grow fonder.

I trust in Valve, they know what they are doing. When it gets here, and it will, eventually.... It will be quality.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    UPSLynx said:
    I sense your faith is weak. Learn from a true fanboy and follow in the footsteps of Cliff
  • KoreishKoreish KCMO Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    UPSLynx said:
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    edited Nov 2010
    Bandrik said:
    All the DOTAs are better than a nerd with a crowbar and a major speech impediment.
    edited Nov 2010
    Tushon said:
    All the DOTAs are better than a nerd with a crowbar and a major speech impediment.
    edited Nov 2010
    That DOTA shoop will be better than the entire game.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited Nov 2010
    The troll is strong in this one.
    edited Nov 2010
    Thrax said:
    That DOTA shoop will be better than the entire game.
    My aim is to please. :vimp:
    edited Nov 2010
    I noticed that the font in DOTA 2's logo is Trajan. I decided to continue my shoopfest. I bring you this.

edited Nov 2010
    Bandrik said:
    I noticed that the font in DOTA 2's logo is Trajan. I decided to continue my shoopfest. I bring you this.

Your trollfest is appreciated
    edited Nov 2010
2»