Another reason to be waiting for it...

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Gaming
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ZhnGQXWi1U&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    After all these years, HL2's visual style still astounds me.

It isn't fair that we don't have a proper ending to the story yet.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I was just going to say that. It's been SEVEN YEARS and that game still a) looks awesome and b) gives me shivers
    edited May 2011
    This is a great video. It's awesome to see the transition in technology - even though it's the same engine, there is a clear difference when it goes from HL2 to HL2 Episode 1. The mass physics, sharper textures, better use of shaders, more advanced shadows.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    It's funny that HL2's characters look more realistic than the saran-wrapped bullshit that id is giving us for RAGE.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    hl2.png
    edited May 2011
    I was just going to say that. It's been SEVEN YEARS and that game still a) looks awesome and b) gives me shivers

Just goes to show you how far proper texture work can go. 2004 was the year of Far Cry, Doom 3, and HL2. Doom 3 and Far Cry used shader techniques and bump maps that were, at the time, extremely advanced. HL2 on the other hand used beautiful photo-real textures, and saved the shader work for smaller, more subtle parts.

Doom 3 and Far Cry were arguably better looking games back in 2004, but today, they both look like garbage. Half-Life 2, however, looks as good as it ever did. A little flat with the exclusion of advanced mapping, but still remarkably good to look at.
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    It's funny that HL2's characters look more realistic than the saran-wrapped bullshit that id is giving us for RAGE.

No kidding. Again, use of proper textures, and ACTUAL ACTING. They didn't mo-crap some 2-bit actors and throw it in the game, they actually spent time breathing life into these characters with some of the best character animation the video game industry has ever seen. Combined with the facial animation technology (which I do believe is still one of the finest examples out there), everything else just looks like rubbish seven years on.

It may seem like hyperbole to suggest HL2 should be played by children in class, but I honestly agree with you. If anything, for any segment of academia that teaches acting, storytelling, or game design, HL2 should be a requirement. Man, just thinking about it is giving me goosebumps. It's just that good.
  • vinsanity0723vinsanity0723 Troy, NY
    edited May 2011
    Grrrr. I just played through Episode 2 a week ago.....I need more Half-Life!!!!!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I just started playing through Half-Life: Source the other night. I swear, I'm actually going to beat the whole game this time. Then I'm going to play through the HL2 series again. It's amazing how well the games have held up over time.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    It may seem like hyperbole to suggest HL2 should be played by children in class, but I honestly agree with you. If anything, for any segment of academia that teaches acting, storytelling, or game design, HL2 should be a requirement. Man, just thinking about it is giving me goosebumps. It's just that good.

I'd go as far as to include economics, marketing and though a stretch, social studies as far its social impact and dedicated communities. It would probably be a class for Valve as a whole rather than just HL2.

I don't know if Valve ever imagined the longetivity of HL2.