A first look at the Windows 8 user interface

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Meh. It looks nice, but there are clear problems. Like how do you keep the screen clean? Even if your hands are always clean you will get fingerprints and smudges and streaks on the screen. And how are you supposed to play Starcraft 2 with this new touch thing?

The keyboard and mouse aren't going anywhere.

Just because the engineers COULD make a computer run entirely from a touch screen doesn't mean that everyone will change. Why is a touch screen seemingly so great? How is touching the screen better than point and click? What if you meant to drag an icon on the touch screen but it thinks you meant to click it, and it opens and then you have to stop and close it and try to resume what you were doing?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    10:1 says this is only the tablet interface. I know Anand and other sources are saying that it's the PC interface, but I sincerely doubt that it is or--at the very least--isn't completely optional.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Where is the innovation?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2011
    the touch aspect is for devices that support it. On a pc you use the mouse same as normal. It's just them playing catchup with the interface, however this is just an add-on which means this portion looks like a bandage solution so that MS can play in the game and that it's not an OS designed around that kind of UI core experience.

Which right now has me thinking Windows 8 is more like Windows 7+
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I don't think touch screens will replace keyboards and mice for business productivity. They're great for casual use or simple single-focus tasks. They blow for multitasking.
  • vinsanity0723vinsanity0723 Troy, NY
    edited June 2011
    I could be wrong but doesn't Microsoft want to implement kinect with this OS? That could make that UI viable for a desktop.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Hello RSI.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Showing it alongside the regular Windows apps really illustrates how big of a divide this is. I can imagine this functionality being something like an interactive lock screen, but I personally don't expect to be using it in real time alongside my traditional applications. I'm your traditional power user, though. Might just be me. It certainly is pretty, though.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Pretty much what Snark said.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited June 2011
    It's just a somewhat evolved welcome screen geared towards the things most user do. All the good ol windows functions is behind it.

It could be real interesting going from your win8 phone to tablet and then pc, all while having a seamless experience. Even better if all 3 could share data effortlessly. I hope MS gets this right. I'd hate to see win8 become the next vista.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    If Microsoft gives 8 a good beta test trial period like they did for 7 it should be good when it comes out.
  • edited June 2011
    I got a feeling I will be on Windows7 for a long time.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I don't have plans to buy the a touch screen, but I am looking foward to try out the CTP when available.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    It's cool. Linux stands ready to welcome you all with open arms to use whatever interface you like. I'm looking at you, Android users.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    drasnor wrote:
    It's cool. Linux stands ready to welcome you all with open arms to use whatever interface you like. I'm looking at you, Android users.

Linux will be a viable OS when it has Steam, just saying
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    Linux will be a viable OS when it has Steam and decent video drivers, just saying
    FTFY, unless there has been a bunch of progress in the regard of which I am not aware
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    10:1 says this is only the tablet interface.

^ This. Is it possible they've got different UIs for desktop and tablet? Maybe they're forking off the tablet version. If the desktop UI is relatively the same as it is now, no need to show it. However, I would think there would need to be some elements in common between the two.