If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

The new Cryengine 3 tech demo is... incredible

ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch SlutAustin, TX Icrontian
edited Aug 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    top secret tessellated toad tech!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    God damnit is that gorgeous. The helo downdrafts affecting the vegetation was glorious.

Only thing I don't get when going for photorealism is pimping your lens flares. Human eyes don't get lens flares...
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    But cinematic, third-person cameras do.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    lens_flares.PNG
    630 x 619 - 545K
    RyderBuddyJ
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That vegetation under the rotors is absolutely incredible. Blows my mind.
    Theironhand
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    Thrax said:

But cinematic, third-person cameras do.

Sure, but they didn't show it as an over-the-shoulder view of something, it all looked like first-person except when they showed the suit. Doesn't matter much. :)
  • MAGICMAGIC Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Fffuuu, I need to spend 3k on a computer again.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Meh. It apparently can't handle something as simple as a rear-view mirror, and that bird's flapping in the beginning was incredibly unrealistic. Cool toad, though.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    midga said:

Meh. It apparently can't handle something as simple as a rear-view mirror, and that bird's flapping in the beginning was incredibly unrealistic. Cool toad, though.

Because in the middle of a firefight, the most important thought that crosses my mind is "Hey, that bird's wings don't flap realistically." :D
    Theironhandprimesuspect
    I actually liked the water a lot, particularly the light diffusion and the DOF when the camera was under the water.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2012
    Yeah, and those effects were outstanding for sure. It's some of the finest looking stuff. But surface area is practically a flat mirror with some minor shader properties. It breaks the illusion. The second I saw the first glimpse of water at 0:15, I couldn't stop myself from frowning. Surface area effects are just... bad. It looks terrible in contrast to everything else around it.

If you can't convince with the surface, I care not for how swell it looks below. Photorealistic immersion is a package deal, all or nothing.
    BuddyJ
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Ugh I might need to upgrade to a 4-slot toaster for this.
    midga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    mertesn said:

midga said:

Because in the middle of a firefight, the most important thought that crosses my mind is "Hey, that bird's wings don't flap realistically." :D
    But you do bring up a good point. It might not be the most important thing, but it /would/ cross your mind, and that's a distraction that could get you killed. Then it's game over, reload from spawn, all because of a damn bird flapping like a fool.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    why show off graphics tech at 720p? o.O
    Gargoyle
    Because YouTube.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Because YouTube.

youtube does 1080p and 2k and 4k
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Aug 2012
    YOU ALL SAW NOTHING
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    @Ilriyas YOU'RE IN THE BETA?! Why haven't we talked about this? This would be like me getting Katawa Shoujo 2: Rin's adventure starring Rin and Rainbow Dash and me playing it and never even mentioning it to you. THAT'S WHAT THIS IS LIKE.
    Ilriyas
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Aug 2012
    NOPE NOTHING HERE
  • GargoyleGargoyle Illinois Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

But surface area is practically a flat mirror with some minor shader properties. It breaks the illusion. The second I saw the first glimpse of water at 0:15, I couldn't stop myself from frowning. Surface area effects are just... bad. It looks terrible in contrast to everything else around it.

Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. That does look pretty bad. This coming from a guy that usually cranks down water detail (old GPUs), though, so maybe that's why I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.