The Drop Reset Report: Halloween Edition

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited November 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Great article Bobby, and I love reading your posts, but does anyone else feel turned away from TF2 because of all the "stuff" that has been added in the last year+?

I was fine with unlocking weapons based on class specific achievements, but then random drops, crates, hats, special weapons, and all this stuff.. to me make the game feel accessible.

I loved the easy to jump into, stylized, and fun experience that TF2 used to be... but I'm not sure if it's still there. I'm probably wrong, but that's my feeling.
    ardichoke
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'd say you can have the easy to jump into experience still. They are adding lots of depth, in trading, making your own, Source Filmmaker, etc, but you can stay on the surface and just enjoy the game, ignoring drops or equipping them as they come. None of them are absolute deal breakers for playing.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    As for some of the stuff I completely understand your feelings. Hats and misc items not so much because most of them only slightly change the look of a class and I feel the universally recognizable silouetes are mostly kept therefore not effecting game play (other than a possible distraction). As for weapons, I have had many expiriences where weapons were released and I came up against them in game before I knew what thier stats were yet. I can only imagine being away for an extended amount of time and coming back to many items I do not recognize.

I do feel like the balance is kept up on well though meaning if a weapon is added with a "buff" from what it is replacing, there is an equal nerf to something that evens it out. I believe that this keeps it easy to jump in with default weapons and still neither be at an advantage or disadvantage. Some would argue the default weapons are still the best balance.

-Digi
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I was in the same boat, @Magic, but once I started playing again, I realized that 90% of the changes were cosmetic and the game itself is still just plain fun. MvM has rebooted TF2 for me and made it a game I play almost every single night again. The new difficulty levels have created an experience akin to raiding in an MMO: Multiple runs to practice and learn the fight, constant bickering and experimenting with loadouts, class makeup, and upgrade paths, and a tremendous sense of victory when you complete it.

You should try doing MvM with us, it's a TON of fun.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Fantastic write-up, Digi.

So far I've scored the Spy and Pyro souls, as well as a haunted Crone Dome (witch's hat) and a haunted Owl (pet for Sniper). Simply delightful! :D
    Scream Fortress 2 2012 draws to a close. How did everyone fare? What were the coolest items you uncovered from those delightful Piles of Curses?

For me, I was able to earn or trade to get the Voodoo Cursed Soul (makes you a zombie) for every class except for Engie. I also scored the Heavy's haunted tutu and the pumpkin balloon prop, as well as Merasmus' skull hat. I'm pretty happy.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    I got 4 unique haunted VooDoo Souls, Haunted Balloon, Haunted Ghost Buddy, Haunted Plutonidome, Upgraded my Snipers Halloween costume from last year to Haunted somehow, Ol' Snaggletooth, the attendant, heavy's fairy wings, and two refined metal. I enjoy the ghost buddy the most.
    The coolest things I got were a voodoo-cursed Demoman soul with "Haunted" quality (which I understand is a bit rare)

A haunted dead little buddy:

And a level 94 Haunted rump-o-lantern:
    @Bandrik, I have two engie souls. You can have one. Trade request me when you get a chance.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I picked up a few cool things...

Shortly after taking those screenies I picked up the remaining Haunted Voodoo Souls. I made it through the entire event without opening a single Eerie crate so the only thing Haunted non-soul item I have is a Haunted Bat Outta Hell that Pirateninja very generously gave me :-D

-Digi
    Holy cow. Digi, I expected you to do well, but... piss. That's overwhelming. DAT LOOT.

Also, @Brian, thank you so much for the offer. I think I'll take you up on that. If you'd like I can give you a weapon or something in return.