Infinity War Post Viewing Experiences - Is it time for a spoilerific thread?

2»

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Finally got around to seeing it after binge catching up on the ones I've missed last week (Guardians 2, Dr. Strange, Thor Ragnarok, Spiderman Homecoming). Genuinely astounded at the scale of it all, and impressed they took the dark route and had the guts to do such a bold ending.

Step back and consider the scale of this project. We've been watching since... what 2008? A decade of constant storylines with all of the same acting staff involved the entire time (one major exception, heh). They've literally pulled off with multi-million dollar films the exact same story method they've done for nearly a century with comic books. If you read the books, you know you get roped into buying 10 different series that you don't really care about because you want the full story that leads up to the epic crossover event. But those books cost less than five bucks a piece so you don't think about it. These films cost 12-20 dollars to see, and have individual budgets in the seven digit range. It's just insane that they managed to do it, and do it so flawlessly. Crazy.

Thanos was awesome. Terrifying and intense, with an odd gentle side occasionally? Loved his motivation. Layered and had elements I wanted to agree with. CG on him was pretty good, but the underlying acting performance was fantastic.

@primesuspect said:
    I guess the "emotional weight" I'm supposed to feel after the ending is HIGHLY tampered by the fact that they basically spoon-fed us a "loophole". When Strange just hands it over and says "this is the only way" and talks about the end-game, and what we saw Thanos do with the green stone when he was going for the orange... and we all saw Dr. Strange, right? We all know this is not really what happens, so that kind of deflates the emotional balloon they're blowing up for us.

Agreed. I didn't have massive feels at the end because of this. Also - it's a super hero movie. Based on comic books. Death couldn't be more not final.

Still decompressing my thoughts after getting home and reading this thread.

You know, I've complained a lot in recent months about being burned out on MCU films and cape movies in general. The formula, while fine for a standalone action film, felt so drawn out after so many films. Big spectacular intro! Big fight! Meet the new dude! Get to know them! They get confident! They make a grave mistake! New bad guy does a thing! Hope is lost! But our hero perseveres and wins! A city is leveled! I appreciated that Black Panther more or less broke that mold, but the other 15 some movies typically followed that tired cape movie formula.

Infinity War also followed this formula, with some lose tweaks (such as no need for the origination story parts). But what I truly loved was they take you along for this familiar ride and you buy in. Hell yeah Bruce Banner is rallying the troops. It's so dope seeing the Guardians of the Galaxy talk mess with Iron Man! Check out the buddy cop vibe of Thor and Rocket! Wakanda is gonna kick Thanos' troops asses! You know this ride because you've been on it before and you loved it the first many of times.

Then the bad guy ACTUALLY does the thing. He wins. At massive repercussions. There's huge losses, real consequence, and then the movie just spits you out onto the street and walks off, leaving you vulnerable. That's a hell of a way to set a leaving impressions. It was awesome.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Here's my question, which @UPSLynx and I disagree on-- was Thanos fading himself at the end? I think he was. I think including himself in the possible 50% is totally something he'd do.

Sidenote: IS SHURI OK

• @GnomeQueen said:
    Here's my question, which @UPSLynx and I disagree on-- was Thanos fading himself at the end? I think he was. I think including himself in the possible 50% is totally something he'd do.

Sidenote: IS SHURI OK

Shuri could very well take up the Black Panther mantle in the next film working to set things right. I don't think she is gone.

I found the scene with Thanos talking to a young Gomorra interesting. Is it a flashback, flash forward, alternate reality, the afterlife, perhaps a projection he made to comfort himself? The possibilities are endless now that he has the completed infinity gauntlet. My guess is that the scene at the end, Thanos looking alone and content, it is actually a flash forward to the end of the next film.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2018

@UPSLynx said:
    But those books cost less than five bucks a piece so you don't think about it. These films cost 12-20 dollars to see, and have individual budgets in the seven digit range.

Comic book prices are insane, and I do think about it. Each 15-page 'book' is 5-8$ depending on popularity of the hero, and to get the whole story you need to buy a book per month from 10-20 different heroes per publisher (depending on how muich you're willing to miss to get the story you are interested in. Following the comics is WAY more expensive than following the films. I would love to read more comics, but the price keeps me out of the hobby. I don't know how anyone can afford it.

For example: If I were just interested in Batman stories, even just the core main actual Batman, First I would have to read Batman, that's 8$/issue, then to keep up with the character's exploits, I also need to read AT LEAST Batman and Robin, Detective Comics, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Justice League. That's four more stories at aprox 7.50$/issue for a total of 38$/mon (456$/year) Just to read about what Batman is up to these days. And if I want the WHOLE story, I should also read Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwing, Batwoman, Cat woman, Red Hood, Birds of Prey, and Suicide Squad for another aprox 500$/year. This is crazyface. I have trouble imagining anyone but the hyper wealthy who have the budget to read all this stuff, and that JUST Batman. Imagine if I wanted to follow the whole Justice League or the Avengers. If you are wondering why cape comics are dying. This is it. No one can afford to follow them.

I was SUPER excited when Comixoligy Unlimited was announced. It was supposed to be like Netflix for digital comics (which cost exactly the same as print comics, BTW, if you were wondering why digital comics is not working out). I was going to read so much! BUT then the subscription only gave access to the first few comics of each story line, and you still had to buy the rest, and that made it totally useless, so I'm still not able to read comics.

primesuspectLincCliff_Forster
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I was super into comics when I was a tween, but my parents put the kibosh on that expensive hobby REAL quick.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@CB said:

@UPSLynx said:
    But those books cost less than five bucks a piece so you don't think about it. These films cost 12-20 dollars to see, and have individual budgets in the seven digit range.

Comic book prices are insane, and I do think about it. Each 15-page 'book' is 5-8$ depending on popularity of the hero, and to get the whole story you need to buy a book per month from 10-20 different heroes per publisher (depending on how muich you're willing to miss to get the story you are interested in. Following the comics is WAY more expensive than following the films. I would love to read more comics, but the price keeps me out of the hobby. I don't know how anyone can afford it.

For example: If I were just interested in Batman stories, even just the core main actual Batman, First I would have to read Batman, that's 8$/issue, then to keep up with the character's exploits, I also need to read AT LEAST Batman and Robin, Detective Comics, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Justice League. That's four more stories at aprox 7.50$/issue for a total of 38$/mon (456$/year) Just to read about what Batman is up to these days. And if I want the WHOLE story, I should also read Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwing, Batwoman, Cat woman, Red Hood, Birds of Prey, and Suicide Squad for another aprox 500$/year. This is crazyface. I have trouble imagining anyone but the hyper wealthy who have the budget to read all this stuff, and that JUST Batman. Imagine if I wanted to follow the whole Justice League or the Avengers. If you are wondering why cape comics are dying. This is it. No one can afford to follow them.

I was SUPER excited when Comixoligy Unlimited was announced. It was supposed to be like Netflix for digital comics (which cost exactly the same as print comics, BTW, if you were wondering why digital comics is not working out). I was going to read so much! BUT then the subscription only gave access to the first few comics of each story line, and you still had to buy the rest, and that made it totally useless, so I'm still not able to read comics.

I must be going to a weird comic shop, we barely pay $3-4/book, only large buys are the TPs

On the film, the more I think back on it the more I actually dig it. It definitely has a slow roll in considering everything that is happening.

UPSLynx
  • Monthly super hero serials are an extremely dated concept and even at their silly cost they don't make money. Jim Lee says DC is going to try to transition into a new model that is based on higher quality content less often. It bucks years of tradition, a paradigm that many will struggle with.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2018

For what it's worth, Image Comics sells its trade paperbacks at like 30% less than what Marvel/DC superheroes cost, and I find them much more interesting on average. I keep wanting to read Doctor Strange, but then I look at the cost vs. how much more I can buy in Image Comics land for that amount and shrug and put it back on the shelf. This happens nearly every time I go to the comic store.

@MiracleManS said:
    I must be going to a weird comic shop, we barely pay $3-4/book, only large buys are the TPs

Yeah I'm kinda confused too - I've never seen a local shop sell comics over MSRP. I just picked up my box last weekend and all the prices were $1.99 to $3.99 - the most expensive being a limited cover variant of Superman Action Comics with lithograph cover at $3.99. Do digital copies cost more than physical? I'm looking at Batman and Detective Comics right now in my hand and they're both marked $2.99.

Don't get me wrong - the model sucks and I wish it was more approachable and cost effective, I'm just nowhere near $456 a year to keep up with Batman and Superman.

Anyways, I bring up the point because it's crazy to me that the MCU pulled off an age-old sales method of spreading stories across numerous franchises to get you hooked into properties you may not have cared about otherwise, but they did it with the insanely complicated world of motion pictures. It worked well, because I would have never even bothered with a Dr. Strange film, or hell, even Thor. I didn't read Thor comics growing up, so I would have likely passed up all three of those movies if it wasn't for the crossover events.

In this case I'm glad it worked on me, because I don't feel like any of the collective crossover films were particularly bad. Dr. Strange ended up being pretty awesome, and now I'm interested to learn more about that world and see that character develop.

Cliff_Forster
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

RyanMM
  • @UPSLynx said:

@MiracleManS said:

Anyways, I bring up the point because it's crazy to me that the MCU pulled off an age-old sales method of spreading stories across numerous franchises to get you hooked into properties you may not have cared about otherwise, but they did it with the insanely complicated world of motion pictures. It worked well, because I would have never even bothered with a Dr. Strange film, or hell, even Thor. I didn't read Thor comics growing up, so I would have likely passed up all three of those movies if it wasn't for the crossover events.

In this case I'm glad it worked on me, because I don't feel like any of the collective crossover films were particularly bad. Dr. Strange ended up being pretty awesome, and now I'm interested to learn more about that world and see that character develop.

I thought I was burned out on it around "Ant Man" I was like, yeah, let's see the guy from "I Love You, Man" play another silly hero type... and to my surprise it didn't suck, so I did another one, and that didn't suck, and another, and that one was pretty awesome too... They just keep taking my money.

My family viewing is an interesting test for it's broad appeal. Me, one of my brothers and my brother in law all hard core comic nerds growing up (my brother is law is a black man, seeing him so jazzed about Black Panther was pretty awesome). My wife, my daughter, various others, all limited to zero knowledge of the source material. I asked my daughter after Infinity War, hey, you get everything going on... She was like yeah, totally, not confusing at all, but explain again why Black Panther thought opening up the shields was a good idea?? Seriously, that's the best question she could think of and she is a fourteen year old girl that has read about two comic books ever. So I guess what I am saying, if a fan of the source material can be pleased with the changes on screen, and if a total comic book virgin can watch for pure joy and not feel alienated by the complexity of the story then they are clearly doing something right.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:

I thought I was burned out on it around "Ant Man" I was like, yeah, let's see the guy from "I Love You, Man" play another silly hero type... and to my surprise it didn't suck, so I did another one, and that didn't suck, and another, and that one was pretty awesome too... They just keep taking my money.

I think this is the spot they've been doing things perfectly in. 18 movies over 10 years, and nobody's really burned out on it to the point of "Oh man, not another one". Instead, there's constant anticipation for the next one.

And on top of all of the standard super-hero shlock (which I enjoy, FTR), there are a couple of really good movies in the mix. With a little tweaking, Black Panther could have stood alone without the MCU. Within the context of the MCU, Thor: Ragnarok is brilliant. The Guardians Movies (a franchise I'd never heard of before the movie announcement) are objectively good with or without the MCU (screw you, James Gunn for making me misty over Michael Rooker).

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

GnomeQueen

CrazyJoeMiracleManSAlexDeGruven
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian