Recipe: Kelso's Improved Toffee Bars

DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole'San Jose, CA Icrontian

My mom used to make these, still does, but as the title states, I've improved them and the method in which they are made.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter melted - Kerrygold salted
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1.5 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup semisweet chips (Toll House)

Tools:
Measuring cups
15.5"x10.5"x1" baking sheet
Whisk
Wooden spoon/spatula
Optional to make life easy - stand or hand mixer
Offset spatula or butter knife.

Directions (if using stand mixer):
Preheat the oven to 350
Melt the butter on the stove or in the microwave.
In the bowl of the mixer, combine flour, dark brown sugar, and salt. Use paddle attachment on speed 2/stir to combine all together so it sorta looks like the flour has taken on the color the the brown sugar (or just whisk in a bowl to combine).
Add vanilla extract to melted butter (let it cool a little if you want) and swirl around to combine and immediately pour into bowl with dry ingredients.
Combine the butter and dry ingredients until it looks sorta crumbly, think of shortbread.
Pour the dough onto the baking sheet and use the bottom of a measuring cup to pat out flat and even into a cohesive layer that covers the entirety of the baking sheet.
Place in the oven at 350 for 12 minutes.
Check after 12 to see if it's turned golden.
Remove from oven, turn oven off. Sprinkle semisweet chips over top and put back in the oven for 30-60 seconds for the chips to start to melt.
Remove from the oven and use the offset spatula to spread the chocolate evenly over the surface. Once coated, use the spatula or butter knife to cut into squares while still warm.
Let cool or eat warm.

Personally I like letting the cool in the fridge and placing in a tupperware or some sort of lidded container, they get nice and chewy and last that way.

It was the salt, I added the salt to this, also using dark brown sugar.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2019

"Hey mom! I love this recipe but I'M GONNA MAKE IT BETTER"

gets smacked in the back of the head with a wooden spoon

GnomeQueenThraxRADARyanMM
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian

Mmmmm....my mom also makes these and they are one of my favorite holiday sweets.