Loading a spray and changing a name in TF2

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Gaming
I cant get TF2 to accept loading a spray image for tagging the walls.

I figured it was simply a feature that had not yet been implemented, but last night I saw several players using the spay feature.

If I try to load a non-square image, it gives me an error message about what size and shape the image needs to be. If try to load an image that fits the specs, it tells me that it is "Unable to load vtex.dll", and recommends tat I restart steam to receive updates. Restarting Steam doesn't help.

It's not the most important feature of the game, but it would be neat to get it to work.

Also: I can't change my name in game. Thrax told me to use /name in the console, but it just returns 'unknown command'.

Is anyone else having trouble with these?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Change it in the config.cfg for TF2 in steamapps.

No command in HL is preceded with a slash (That's quake), so it's not me. From the console it would simply be:

> name whatever
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Maybe it was your brother :P

I'll try those solutions.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Maybe it was your brother :P

I'll try those solutions.

Yeah, it was me. I haven't played Half-Life in a long time so I was wrong. as for the spray, you sure it's an acceptable format?
    edited October 2007
    It's a .jpg (256x256x256)... :/

I couldn't find any place in the cfg file to set the spray image.

also:

name whatever

still didn't do anything, although it didn't return 'unknown command' this time... It just didn't do anything... :/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    your tf2 name is whatever your steam ID name is - you can't change how it shows up like you can in hl2dm for example. So go to your steam preferences and set your name that other gamers see as whatever you want, preferably {IC}something cause that's how we roll now :p

Although after last night's debacle, I can see if you would be ashamed to put that tag in front of your name ;)

WE NEEDED YOU CB DROEGE. WHERE WERE YOU? WHERE? WE DIED BY THE SCORE. Fatcat had a medic on him who was 100% and didn't fire off his uber! FATCAT GOT STABBED IN THE BACK BY A DAMNED SPY for LACK OF A SENSIBLE MEDIC.

WHY, CB... WHY?
    edited October 2007
    I was playing from 8p to 1230p... Where were you?!

The thing is, I'd like to use the IC tag, but I want to use it in TF2, I don't feel the need to have it in my account name... However, it seems easy enough to change (just one button on the console) that I guess it would be okay to just switch it back and forth as I need to. However, I've seen other players change their name mid-game, so I know there is a way... :/
    edited October 2007
    omfg, nobody has to edit their steam name to change their game name. I'll tell everyone how to do it when I get home.
    edited October 2007
    I've searched some other forums, and others seem to be having the same issue... Some people seem to have a box in their MP settings within the game, and they can change their names, but those who don't have the box (as I don't) can't get their name to change in any way, not by the console, the cfg file, anything.

It might just be a bug that needs fixing... This is still Beta after all... I'm going to report it as such tonight. The strange thing is that some people would have the field in the settings box, and some wouldn't... curiouser and curiouser....
    edited October 2007
    I don't have that box in the game either, but it can be done from the steam client as well. I just don't want to vaguely lead people in the wrong direction.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    hey look, a thread about TF2 in the gaming board! What a novel concept... :P
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    I was playing from 8p to 1230p... Where were you?!

Yeah, why doesn't any of the game action happen during normal human waking hours? :p
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    I was playing from 8p to 1230p... Where were you?
    You played for 16.5 hours? ;):p
    edited October 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    You played for 16.5 hours? ;):p

:wtf:
    edited October 2007
    Psst, 8PM - 1230AM
    edited October 2007
    meh, I've decided that it shouldn't change between AM and PM until 1... That just makes more sense, and there's no one to tell me that I don't have the authority to do so...

Oh and:

:p
    edited October 2007
    SteamApps\STEAMLOGIN\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

Edit config.cfg and look for the "Name" line.
    edited October 2007
    mah spray:

prime_spray.png

may look weird in IE, it's an alpha channel png.
    edited October 2007
    Changing the cfg doesn't work. When the game loads, it changes the name entry to whatever your steam community name is, and it doesn't reference the cfg to find your name after the game is loaded...
    edited October 2007
    I give up on the sprays. I got all kinds of errors too.

Which sucks because I saw people spraying tonight :-/
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    just change your nickname under file>settings>friends

like my steam id is l0rdsoco, but my nickname is {IC}fatcat, which is what you guys see.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Anyone have a full pic of the IC LAN logo without a name in the banner?
    I'd like to try working on making up a spray with my {IC}Hawk in it.
    Oh, And sorry I wasn't there last night.
    Mind just wasn't into gaming...
    Having serious problems getting work and business is about to fall.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    #1 To get a spray working, load up cs:s or hl2:dm and choose a spray in those games. once you've picked and applied a spray, quit the game then... <o></o><o></o>

For hl2:dm browse to steam/steamapps/yourusername/half-life 2 deathmatch/hl2mp/materials and copy the VGUI folder<o></o>
    <o></o>
    For cs:s browse to steam/steamapps/yourusername/counter-strike source/cstrike/materials and copy the VGUI folder<o></o><o></o>
    paste the VGUI folder to /team fortress 2/tf/materials<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Now run tf2, go to options and multiplayer tab (i think its called that) yoru tag should now be in the drop down menu of custom tabs, select it, apply and it should work.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    #2 Load up your imported spray in a game like CS:S or DOD:S, navigate to your materials folder ( for CS:S, it would be C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\steamname\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials ) and copy the VGUI folder to Team Fortress 2's materials folder.
    <o></o>
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    [Guide] Spray Install
    <hr align="center" color="#424242" noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%"> Note: This is for bypassing a bug present in the Beta version, this will be probably useless when the final release is out.
    Note2:THIS METHOD IS FOR PEOPLES WHO DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER STEAM GAME INSTALLED.

Here is a method which you can use to import your own sprays:

1) Download VTFedit here: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=41
    Note; The project files are for Visual Studio .NET 2003 and 2005; no .NET extensions<o></o>
    are used except in VTFEdit. Visual Studio 6.0 project files have also been<o></o>
    included, but nvDXTLib does not come with the correct .lib files to link with.<o></o>
    nvDXTLib is required for VTF creation and can be downloaded from:<o></o>
    [FONT=&quot]http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_utilities_legacy.html

2) With VTFedit, Import your own .JPG,.BMP, etc... and convert it to a .VTF file (Valve Texture File)

3) Now place the .VTF file to this exact location (you'll probably have to create some folder manually but it shows exactly like this):

<your dir="">\Steam\steamapps\<your username="">\team fortress 2\tf\materials\VGUI\logos

4) To fixe the quickview appearing blank copy the same .VTF also here (you'll probably have to create the UI folder manually but it shows exactly like this):

<your dir="">\Steam\steamapps\<your username="">\team fortress 2\tf\materials\VGUI\logos\UI

5) Ingame, go to the options and click import the spray and browse for it in the \logos folder (not the UI folder!) and validate. (this will create a VMT file near your VTF)

Remember the hight and width of your pictures must match theses pixel sizes only (16, 32, 64,128 or 256)

To resume, your .VTF must reside in the last \logos and also \UI folder where you copied it manually, then don't forget to do the step 5), the spray now appear correctly in the list.</your></your></your></your>[/FONT]
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I loaded hl2:dm and used that method. Here's the spray logo I created and tried out in the game.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    nice spray!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    SWEET SPRAY.... rep+1

:D
    :smokin:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    That's awesome Hawk!
    edited October 2007
    That solution worked for the spray, as some of you saw last night. Thanks, Hawk.
    edited October 2007
    Yep, solution worked a-ok.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    That solution worked for the spray, as some of you saw last night. Thanks, Hawk.
    NP, Glad you all liked it and I could help you guys get the spray tagging setup info. I loved sprayin the Team 93 logo all around!!!!