Joining the Quad Club

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Well, it was time.

Today I moved into the next phase of cyclical upgrades on my home computers. Quad is on the way. I'll be upgrading one computer at a time, looking for bargains on processors and motherboards through online sales, forums, and maybe even Craigslist (mainly overpriced junk here in Alaska).

For starters, No. 1 (in signature) will be receiving a Q6600 and Abit IP35-E. I found the Q6600 used at a steep discount at another forum's trading section and the IP35-E is coming from Newegg. The IP35-E seems perfect for me: good overclocker; no unnecessary frills like Firewire, RAID, and SLI; and very inexpensive. In other words, it's a high performance board with a decent track record but lacking expensive luxuries that I wouldn't use anyway.

The Q6600 I purchased is a G0 stepping. The rest of the computer will essentially retain the components in that are in it now, which are proven and are quite capable. I will be swapping out the OS drive for an 80GB WD SATA. The DVD burner will run off the Abit's onboard IDE port and my second drive (IDE) will be connected to a PCI-IDE adapter.

I had been waiting for the technology - quad core and corresponding chipsets to mature and for prices to fall. Both conditions have been fulfilled in my opinion. (Additionally, I've also recovered from some awfully big household expenses this year.) I skipped the second generation dual core technology and am now jumping into quad.

I'll be migrating the other three computers over to quad as well. As this upgrading cycle will happen in stages relatively slowly, who know, Intel 45nm quad core or AMD Phenom might enter the mix as well. I'm not holding my breath for AMD. I have to say though, I'd love to build another AMD machine! Some nostalgia involved.

Wish me luck!

Comments on pros and cons of my parts choice are welcomed.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    WOW... That's some serious horsepower!!! I foresee Leonardo rising in the Folding ranks... SMP anyone? :D
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Awesomesauce Leonardo! I plan on purchasing a Quad 6600 in the very near future. This should drastically increase your points and rank once all is said and done.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    WOW... That's some serious horsepower!!!
    It will not all come online at once. I will be upgrading the machines incrementally. My wife is the family accountant! Although I don't have to get her permission for computer tech purchases, NO account activity escapes her attention. It's a good thing really, as she keeps me in check.
    I plan on purchasing a Quad 6600 in the very near future
    They've been out long enough that they are starting to appear on trading forums. When the 45nm quads are available, expect early adopters to start upgrading. Some of those 'old' Q6600s will find their way to online trading posts. Of the computers I have now, the parts in them are at the most 50% retail online or physical store. The other 50% was eBay or trading forums.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    You'll have a ball with Quad Leo. I got myself a Quad last week, G0 as well. 3.6 ghz without issues on air and it isn't even as hot as i have seen many are.
    If you plan on buying DDR2, now is the time sir. Prices are at the lowest point ever. Remember, these chipsets do not have a divider backwards meaning your can get totally gimped by ram unless you have good clocking ram. As long as they do 400mhz (DDR2800) in 1:1, you shouldn't have any problems.

I just recieved a nice DD3 board yesterday, and i am just waiting for DDR3 to arrive. I so look forward to that. :D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2007
    I just bought my first intel proc in eight years :eek:

Got a Q6600 G0 the other day as well. Can't wait to see how it does!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2007
    You'll have a ball with Quad Leo. I got myself a Quad last week, G0 as well. 3.6 ghz without issues on air and it isn't even as hot as i have seen many are.
    If you plan on buying DDR2, now is the time sir. Prices are at the lowest point ever. Remember, these chipsets do not have a divider backwards meaning your can get totally gimped by ram unless you have good clocking ram. As long as they do 400mhz (DDR2800) in 1:1, you shouldn't have any problems.

I just recieved a nice DD3 board yesterday, and i am just waiting for DDR3 to arrive. I so look forward to that. :D

Keep waiting. DRAM spot prices have been falling for a long time and for the consumer the future looks good.

Market is approaching the <$1 mark for 512Mb 667MHz DDR2 ICs with new 300mm fabs opening regularly. I know its now what most of us buy but the trend follows that standard.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited October 2007
    Congratulations Leo! :)

I'll be stuck with my dual Xeons forever.....by the time I upgrade my desktop pc again quad's will probably be extinct. ;D
    edited October 2007
    Oh, just wait and see. As soon as I finish this upgrade cycle, The Next Best Thing will be out, absolutely clobbering quad (Intel or AMD) performance.
    edited October 2007
    For upgrades, now is not a bad time at all. DDR2 is dirt cheap. I just ordered two sets each of 2X1GB PC2 800 plus shipping for less than 1GB would have been just 18 months ago. Yeah, that's right - 4GB is less than 1GB was 18 months ago. Also, Intel is so intent on keeping AMD from being profitable, and AMD is so intent on keeping whatever market share that it has, both companies' processors are inexpensive now.

The time was right, I tell you!
    edited October 2007
    YAY! It's built and purring - like an 800 pound tiger! These things are fast! And I haven't even started overclocking. The hardware config and BIOS was easy. It is so good to be back with Abit's Software Menu BIOS layout!

Getting Windows running was an absolute pain.
    edited October 2007
    Hey, what's a good hardware monitor for an P35 chipset motherboard? Currently I'm running SpeedFan and Abit's EQ. Abit's EQ has a lot of information, but the layout and design is looks like something for a hormone-charged 13 year-old.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2007
    Leo- I can't wait to see you "quad some quads", overclock the snot out of them, tweak them for the most fold/watt and change Alaska into a tropical paradise :vimp:.

As far as monitoring tools, you probably know more than I do- however, despite your Alaskan clime, these Kentsfields and likely their siblings need to be watched pretty closely. Core Temp has proved itself more than once. Just today I noticed that the temps were getting pretty high and it turned out to be a fan with a poor connection. But you probably know this one and I'm probably not addressing what you have in mind.

However, I did want to take the opportunity to say that it's good to have you in the club and hope you enjoy these powerful babies :D :smokin:
    edited October 2007
    I think the people who think Intel quads are hot running are people who have never run an Intel dual core Smithfield or Presler. I'm running full load right now - two instances of Folding@Home SMP and the CPU core temp is 45C, as measured by both Abit EQ and SpeedFan. I'll install Core Temp and see what it reads.

Update: Maybe I spoke too soon. :rolleyes: Core reports temps ranging from 47C - 58C for cores 0-3. I'm going to pretend Abit EQ and FanSpeed are more accurate. :wtf:
    edited October 2007
    Leo, how well does that Abit board work for you? I just got my Q6600 and would rather upgrade (basically totally replace) an older K7 system with the Q66 than tear apart my main.

The board is listed as only $75 AR now so it might be a good time to jump on it.
    edited October 2007
    I am not ready to render a verdict on the motherboard. I've only had the system running in Windows (typing on it now) for less than 24 hours. Here's my preliminary:

Excellent value for the money if you don't need the frills such as onboard SATA RAID and Firewire.

The board is designed for overclocking - nice heatsinks on MOSFETs and Northbridge, and the excellent Abit Soft Menu BIOS.

So far, voltage regulation is not quite what I'd like to see. Seems to be a bit of a droop between CPU core BIOS set and actual. Most boards will have some droop, but I haven't observed much droop before at default CPU clock. There is a little bit here. I did have some minor instability and bumped up voltages across the board (no pun intended). Undervoltage is OK as long as there is a constant ratio between BIOS settings and actual voltage output. One can adjust for that. If it's not a linear relationship, then things get difficult. I have not started overclocking yet so I can't address that.

There is an annoying "double boot," meaning that upon startup the fans spin and components start to synchronize, to be followed by the computer shutting down and restarting. No harm is done, it's just annoying. Apparently subsequent BIOS revision(s) have cured that. I'll be updating the BIOS today. I'll probably also start overclocking.
    edited October 2007
    Yeah I'm looking for the same thing you are. Its just going to be a full time folder so I dont need any of the extras at all. Just stability, a decent OCer and a good price.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    My quad core is running at around 60C full load but that's probably because the stock HSF is a PITA to install. FAH rine fine for a few days but it crashed with a file IO error (temps). I guess I gotta buy a decent HSF.
    edited October 2007
    quad core is running at around 60C full load
    As measured by what utility? I'm using two - Core Temp and SpeedFan. They are 10C apart on load temps, with Core Temp showing the way higher numbers. On idle temps, these two monitors are close to each other and to the BIOS reading.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Core Temp.
    edited October 2007
    For my system, the temperatures I posted above spanned all four cores, as measured by Core Temp and SpeedFan. SpeedFan shows all four cores and also shows a "CPU" temperature. I don't know what the "CPU" temp means, when all four cores are given a temp reading.

Blackhawk, for your system, what CPU heatsink are you using? Also, which core of the four is the 60C reading from. For my testing for full load, I am using four instances of Prime95. Orthos or Folding@Home probably would be better, but I don't want to risk ruining SMP units in Folding. For your system, what constitutes a full load?
    edited October 2007
    I'm using the stock heatsink but I as I said earlier, it's mounted incorrectly. One of the clips on the HSF just didn't attatch.

Full load for me was letting FAH SMP run for a few mins till the temps stabilized. Can't try it now since FAH is giving me file IO errors (google tells me it's due to hw instability).

At this moment, core 0 is giving the highest temp at 55°C (regular load) with the lowest reading being from core 2 (51°C).
    edited October 2007
    What hardware monitor are you using? The reason I ask is I'm trying to find the most accurate monitor. I'm using Core Temp, SpeedFan, and Abit EQ. Speedfan and Core Temp show the temperature for each core, but they diverge by as much as 10C. That's just unacceptable for overclocking. EQ and SpeedFan both show a "CPU" temperature? Well, the CPU is four cores, so what's this single temperature.

A couple people have posted on the forums, stating Core Temp is better. I have no reason to disbelieve them, but where does this opinion come from?
    edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    What hardware monitor are you using?
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Core Temp.
    ---
    The temperature readings are very accurate as the data is collected from a Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) which is located in each individual processing core, near the hottest part. This sensor is digital, which means it doesn't rely on an external circuit located on the motherboard to report temperature, its value is stored in a special register in the processor so any software can access and read it. This eliminates any inaccuracy that can be caused by external motherboard circuits and sensors and then different types of programs trying to read those sensors.

Source
    In my case, 3 out of 4 temps displayed by Core Temp are practically the same (1°-/+) and one is 3° below but I think it's because the HSF isn't seated properly.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Core temp is the most accurate monitor. Period. It reads straight from a sensor located directly on the die.
    edited October 2007
    Thanks, guys. According to Core Temp, the four cores in my quad have a temperature spread of 10C consistently. I am sure the heatsink (Thermaltake Big Tornado) is seated firmly and evenly. Right now with two instances of Folding, overclock to 3.0GHZ (600MHz increase) the cores are at 56-66C. Looks like overclocking will stop until I have better cooling.
    edited October 2007
    Being that it is a reading directly from the die it is going to be warmer than you are used to. That 56-66C could be read as 46-56 from an extermal source as an example.
    edited October 2007
    Core temp is the most accurate monitor. Period. It reads straight from a sensor located directly on the die.
    That 56-66C could be read as 46-56 from an extermal source as an example.
    So then I wonder, when I see comments in forums cautioning about thermal limitations, overclock ceilings, and what have you, are they basing such on the hottest core of the four-core die?

What are some good rules of thumb for operating this beast with respect to heat? Yes, I've read here and there, including Intel's Q6600 specification page, but they never specify if it's overall "CPU" temperature or hottest single core.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I run PCWizard, CoreTemp, and Everest, and they're all within a degree of each other between the individual cores. I've got a 7-8 degree spread between cores (cores 0 and 1 hit 55, 2 and 3 hit 48) and I was wondering if this was usual; from reading these, is it not? I'm fairly certain my heatsink is seated correctly.

I also ran four instances of Prime95 before I got SMP running, and my Prime95 temps were always 3-4 degrees higher than my SMP folding temps.
    edited October 2007
    I'll give PCWizzard and Everest a try. If those are full load temperatures you posted, I don't think they're bad at all. In my case, 4 X Prime 95 was about the same as 2 X F@H WinSMP, maybe 1 to 2C higher.

Hey, take a look here. I've hit a stability wall that may be PCI bus-related. Would appreciate your opinion.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Dropped my voltages a little bit, still running stable, but now folding never gets above 50 C. I'm pretty happy with that.