NVidia: How To Flash a Video BIOS for Hardware Overclocking

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited October 2006 in Hardware
bluedivider.jpg

<TABLE WIDTH="755" CELLSPACING ="0" CELLPADDING="0" BORDER="0"><TR><TD VALIGN="CENTER">icon4.gifDISCLAIMER: icon4.gif
The methods outlined below can cause irrecoverable damage to your hardware and should not be performed unless you ABSOLUTELY know what you are doing.

WARNING: This modification has not been tested on ANY GeForce 4 Ti video card with 8x AGP support (NV28) or GeForce FX (NV30/31/34/35/36). Apparently, the new X-BIOS Editor Version 520 DOES have proper support for these devices.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION ON AN ATI-BASED VIDEO CARD. THIS GUIDE IS STRICTLY FOR NVIDIA-BASED VIDEO ADAPTERS.</TD><TD ALIGN="RIGHT" VALIGN="CENTER" WIDTH="170">nvidialogo.jpg</TD></TR></TABLE>
bluedivider.jpg

NVidia: How To Flash a Video BIOS for Hardware Overclocking:

Introduction:

Sick of having to constantly play with slider settings to overclock your NVidia-based video adapter? Want to overclock a piece of hardware permenantly so no matter what system the card is installed in, it is always operating at your desired clock speed? This guide will show you how to do just that, eliminating the need for any 3rd party software utilities to overclock your card (such as PowerStrip, RivaTuner or CoolBits).

Legal Disclaimer:

WARNING: Myself, Short-Media or any of Short-Media's subsidiaries are NOT responsibile for ANY damage, abnormal system behaviour, graphics corruption, game incompatability or data loss that may occur to your hardware (and supporting systems) from performing this modification. By following this guide, you acknowledge that you have read and understood this warning, you are aware of the inherint risk of modifying computer hardware, you are aware that this modification will VOID any warranty that you currently have on your NVidia GeForce-based video adapter and that you are solely responsible for any damages or abnormalities that occur with the video card.

Software Required:

-> DumpBIOS
-> X-BIOS Editor 1.0 Version 520
-> NVFlash 4.41
-> dos4gw.exe
-> Windows 98 Boot Disk (someway to get to a REAL DOS prompt)

Steps To Perform Modification:

1) Copy the following files to a freshly formatted floppy disk:
DumpBIOS.exe
NVFlash.exe
dos4gw.exe

2) Restart your PC with the Windows 98 Boot Disk.

3) Insert the floppy disk with DumpBIOS on it and type "dumpbios" at the command prompt. This should save a copy of your CURRENT video card BIOS to the floppy.

4) Restart your PC to Windows and install the "X-BIOS Editor".

5) Open your saved BIOS file from the floppy disk with the "X-BIOS Editor".

6) Click on the "Initialization" tab.

7) Change the core clock (GPU) speed on each & every line.

8) Change the memory speed on the FIRST LINE.

9) Save the edited BIOS file to the floppy disk (using a different name than the one given to the BACKUP of your ORIGINAL video card BIOS, such as "newbios.bin").

10) Restart your PC with the Windows 98 Boot Disk.

11) Insert the floppy disk with NVFlash (and your new BIOS image file) and enter "nvflash.exe /f newbios.bin" (without the quotes and substituting newbios.bin with the actual file name).

12) Restart your PC.

Your video card will now be permanently overclocked to whatever values you set in the BIOS image file.

bluedivider.jpg

Originally found @ OverClockers forums.
Instructions adapted & re-vamped by SimGuy.
Files downloaded & organized by SimGuy.

Comments

• elektrikelektrik Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    Thanks, the guide worked perfectly on my Triplex Geforce4 Ti4600 :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    WARNING: Do not attempt this modification on ANY GeForce 4 Ti video card with 8x AGP support (NV28) or GeForce FX (NV30 & NV35). The NVidia BIOS Editor DOES NOT have proper support for your device.

Are there any other tricks out there that WILL work for a ti4200 w/ 8x AGP? Can you flash a different bios and fool it as in some others and if so which ones?
  • edited October 2003
    So this won't work with a FX 5200 ?:banghead:
  • edited October 2003
    Worked perfectly on my AOpen Ti4600 SE!

Thanks Sim!
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Hi-Fi said
    So this won't work with a FX 5200 ?:banghead:

Nope, it won't. The NVidia BIOS Editor hasn't been updated in ages and doesn't support ANY GeForce FX hardware or GeForce 4 TI's with AGP 8x Support.

Whenever a new NVidia BIOS Editor is released, I'll update the thread :)

TheSMJ: Glad to know it worked! Tried it on my Asus Ti4400 and it worked like a charm :)
  • edited October 2003
    Download it here...

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-6.shtml

It supports TiXXXX cards and FX cards. :)

Computer Maniac :)
  • edited October 2003
    Using the "read from memory" option from the X-Bios editor is the same thing than using the dumpBios isn't t ?
    And What do you think it will happen if I load the Fx5200 Ultra bios definitions to my Fx5200 ?
  • edited November 2003
    i did almost exactly what you wrote simguy, except for the fact that i put all the necessary files on one disk, including the bios and the flasher.
    the problem is that i get an error message when i start the nvflasher, namely that the DPMI is missing or something like that, i forgot the correct message *sigh* ----> see edit

just wanted to know if you or anyone else here ever encountered that problem or at least could give me a hint what to do.

thanks in advance ;)
    bozz

eeeeeeeeeedit:

1. i've now done used 2 disks, just to make sure ... same sh*t, different day ;|
    but i've got a little more info on the error messages this time:
    - when i enter nvflash /f mygf4600.rom, it says "Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip"
    - when i use dos4gw nvflash / mygf4600.rom, it says "can't load executive format for NVFLASH.exe

any ideas ? :(

edit #2:
    should've remembered that i hadn't tried google yet ... i've flashed the bios successfully, but the problems remain (suppose i've damaged the card when i tried to install a different cooler)
    edited November 2003
    Is this an original Ti4600 or a Ti4600 with AGP 8x support?
  • edited November 2003
    If it's a 4x, I could attach the image of the floppy (with all the files) I used to flash mine.

Just lemme know.
    edited November 2003
    I've added the newest X-BIOS Editor (updated to support new AGP8x TiXXXX series cards and the GeForce FX series of cards) along with a new version of NVFlash (441 versus the older 428).

I haven't tested either of these applications with any of my own personal cards, but seeing as they are updated versions of the older files with new device support, they should work just as well as the older ones did.
  • edited November 2003
    Need some HELP , plz:bawling:

I have the same problem as "buzz":

i've used 2 disks, ... same sh*t, different day ;
    - when i enter nvflash /f newbios.rom, it says "Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip"

What the hell should I do?

Oh, and... my card is a GeForce3 Ti 200.

My sistem:
    Athlon XP 2600+ OCed at 2.31GHz
    Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18D Pro v2.0, DualChannel DDR, AGP 8X
    2x256 DDR2700 Sycron
    GeForce3 Ti 200 with 64MB of RAM
    CD-RW 12-40-12, DVD-ROM 16x
    Windows XP Pro + SP1
    edited November 2003
    Here's an explaination of what this "DPMI" is and what looks like a solution. I'll tell you right now that I have never run into this problem when working in DOS mode at all. Are the 2 of you who are having trouble using a boot disk made from bootdisk.com by chance?

I've attached the required CSDPMI4B.ZIP file, but again I haven't tested it and have no idea how to use it. If you could, try using an official Windows 98 Boot Disk (made from a Windows 95/98/Me installation) before trying this CSDPMI4B stuff. I don't know how it works and I haven't tested it.

GNU sed is just the DOS application referred to in the documentation. I'm guessing the same parameters & situations could be said about any C/C++ program made for use in a DOS Protected Mode Interface.
    5.4. What is CSDPMI*B.ZIP and why do I need it?

If you boot to MS-DOS instead of Windows and try to use GNU sed v1.18 or 3.02, you may encounter the following error message:

no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip

"DPMI" stands for DOS Protected Mode Interface; it's basically a means of running DOS in Protected Mode (as opposed to Real Mode), which allows programs to share resources in extended memory without conflicting with one another. Running HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE is not enough. The "CSDPMI*B.ZIP" refers to files written by Charles Sandmann to provide DPMI services for 32-bit computers (i.e., 386SX, 386DX, 486SX, etc.). Download this file:

csdpmi4b.zip

and extract CWSDPMI.EXE, CWSDPR0.EXE and CWSPARAM.EXE from the ZIP file. Put all 3 CWS*.EXE files in the same directory as GSED.EXE and you're all set. There are DOC files enclosed, but they're nearly incomprehensible for the average computer user. (Another case of user-vicious documentation.)

If you're running Windows and you normally use a DOS session to run GNU sed (i.e., you get to a DOS prompt with a resizable window or you press Alt-Enter to switch to full-screen mode), you don't need the CWS*.EXE files at all, since Windows uses DPMI already.
  • edited November 2003
    I would be very thankful if someone could dumb PNY FX5600 Ultra bios for me. :)

I was flashing g/card bios first time when i put Gainward bios on this card and didnt know how to make backup from original one. :(

This works in PNY card,but PNY bios was faster than Gainward.
    edited December 2003
    WR-HW95, I've looked everywhere for a PNY GeForce FX 5600 Ultra BIOS, but all I can find is the Gainward ones.

Unless you can find someone with this card, you may be out of luck. :(
  • edited December 2003
    It will work on my GeForce 2 200mx 64mb?
  • edited December 2003
    Hi,

I'm trying to flash my Aopen Aeolus Ti4200-DVC128 4x AGP
    from bios version 4.25.00.30 to 4.25.00.37.....

Working with WinXP Pro SP1, NTFS format, on a Abit KR7A-raid (no raid config).

So I followed the guide of this forum.
    I tried to use a win98SE bootdisk or Doctor Dos Flash,
    to get into DOS.
    On a second disk I putted the files I think I needed,
    dos4gw.exe, NVflash.exe, and the rom file vid_bios_nvidia_gf4ti4200_4.25.00.37_250_444.rom,
    which I renamed to vid_bios.rom and also to vid_bios.bin
    with the help of rvbsterup10520.exe (just to rename it, didn't change settings).

My intension is to use rivatuner20RC141 and softQuadro4 to
    upgrade my videocard (I do alot 3D work..)

So I putted in the win98se bootdisk, removed when loaded,
    inserted the second disk with nvflash etc.
    tried several commands I found on different forums, but it won't work.
    Or I get the "no DPMI" error or the error from dos4gw (something like no executable file command)

I tried the following commands

nvflash vid_bios.bin or .rom
    nvflash.exe /f vid_bios.bin or .rom
    nvflash -fvid_bios.bin or rom
    dos4gw nvflash /fvid_bios.bin
    and so on and on
    tried several combinations (made first a backup of the original bios)

Most of the time I get the no DPMI error, get csdpmi*b.zip

What am I doing wrong?
    Somebody has any idea?
    Do I have to download the csdpmi*b.zip file?
    Where do I put it? Also on the floppies?

Any idea or suggestion would be really great.
    Thanks in advance.
    edited December 2003
    Alyssa,

First off, welcome to Short-Media! :)

The CSDPMI problem can be explained with this post above SimGuy's CSDPMI Information

I've personally not ran into this CSDPMI problem, so I can't say with 100% certainty how to fix this problem. You could try the file available for download in the post linked to above.

The instructions are to download it, and extract those files to the floppy disk that contains the NVFlash utility and BIOS files.

These CSDPMI files are to offer the NVFlash utility (programmed in C) the required memory management applications to allow the utility to run correctly. Without those, you get these wonky errors that won't let the program run.

Try it and let us know if it works :)
    edited December 2003
    gilad_o had this to say
    It will work on my GeForce 2 200mx 64mb?

Yes, this will work on your GeForce 2 MX200. ;)
  • edited December 2003
    For the PNY bios try using an MSI bios as MSI manufactures PNY's cards (or at least they made the TI4400's and TI4600's) but they use parts that don't scale as high as the parts on the cards they sale under their own name.
    I found this out when several programs kept calling my old PNY TI 4400 an MSI part such as SISOFT Sandra and WCPUID...I hope this helps, good luck.
  • edited December 2003
    So I copied the content of the zip file csdpmi4b.zip
    to the disk with NVflash and the rom file on it.
    Used the command
    NVFLASH -fFILENAME.ROM

And....... everything went fine.
    My GF4 Ti4200 has now the new bios inside!!

Thanks for helping me out, with this one.
    Great forum btw, forgot to introduce myself..:banghead:
  • edited December 2003
    Here is what i have tried in overclocking my Ti4200 64mb card.

Here is stock
    stock.jpg

Here is the first try. GPU sticks Memory does not.
    OC1.JPG

Here is 2nd try. GPU sticks memory does not.
    OC2.JPG

Here is 3rd try. Computer will not boot with these settings.
    noboot.jpg

Using newest nvflash and x-bios editor 1.03
    Checking OC settings with coolbits

Any idea why the memory will not stick?
    If i software OC the settings seem to stick, at least thats what they show in coolbits.

Thx for any help..
  • edited January 2004
    I have a problem with the xbios that has not been discussed here and I can not find any help info anywhere. I just bought and installed a Geforce FX 5950. It runs sweet as heck but there is room for overclocking!! Anyway, I have downloaded the xBIOS, version 1.03.520 as listed in this forum. I have all the other files downloaded and ready to go but my problem is that I can not even create the bios image for some reason. When I try to create it using xbios, it gives and error of "Bab PCI Header!", and I am assuming that the 'Bab' is a mis-spell meant to be 'bad'. No image gets created. When I try to get the image using dumpbios, the 'A' drive light stays on forever (watched a 2 1/4 hour movie and it was still going when I was done). I am using Windows XP, ABIT NF7-s Ver 2.0 motherboard. Any help would and will be appreciated. It's driving me nuts!!
    Sup
  • edited January 2004
    Does anybody know of a different nvidia bios editor than the xbios? I can not find any info on the xbios error. I installed an old hard drive and installed winME on it and gave it a try. Same error. I installed the card on another computer, same error. It is either the card itself or the xbios program.
  • edited January 2004
    I finally got an image of my bios on my pny 5950 ultra card. I opened it in the xbios and the first screen shows all the info. The initialization tab shows '0' for all my clock speeds and it is blank for memory type. I am guessing that I should not flash this bios with this info. When I look in the general tab, the device id is 0333. When I click on the change button, I can not find my device id in it. I guess the 5950 is not yet supported?
  • edited January 2004
    Supervisor wrote:
    I finally got an image of my bios on my pny 5950 ultra card. I opened it in the xbios and the first screen shows all the info. The initialization tab shows '0' for all my clock speeds and it is blank for memory type. I am guessing that I should not flash this bios with this info. When I look in the general tab, the device id is 0333. When I click on the change button, I can not find my device id in it. I guess the 5950 is not yet supported?

CAN YOU PLEASE pm ME THE original 5950 BIOS FILE?
    jnzz001@hotmail.com
    thanks in advance
  • edited March 2004
    :confused: i am wanting to flas my BFG fx5600 with a 5600 ultra bios is there any out there ???
    SimGuy wrote:
    WR-HW95, I've looked everywhere for a PNY GeForce FX 5600 Ultra BIOS, but all I can find is the Gainward ones.

Unless you can find someone with this card, you may be out of luck. :(
  • edited March 2004
    I have a FX5600 256mb 8x videocard made bye BFG is there any bios from a 5600 ultra i can flast it with ???? if so were can i get it ???? i feal a need a need for speed
  • edited April 2004
    Hello all

Sparkle FX5200DT running at standard as set from manufactor at 250 core 332 mem,having tested this via overclocking i know it is stable at 400 mem however....

I have exactly the same problem as kenerly i cant get the memory clock speed to stick,i know it said in the instructions to change the first line but my 1st line already said the setting i wanted(400) but my last line had the normal running setting(332) so i changed that,no joy rebooted and still on 332,2nd attempt i just changed the 1st line from 400 back to 400,no joy still 332,3rd attempt changed all lines to read 400 even though only 1 said 332,still no joy still running at 332.

have dumped the freshly uploaded bios to check that and that shows all mem clocks at 400 so i know it has uploaded but coolbits and powerstrip both report 332,how can this be when the only options in its bios is to run the mem at 400?

This starting to drive me mad,any help or ideas pls
    Thx
  • edited April 2004
    Hi,
    I have an msi fx5900xt, and my problem is that i read somewhere else how u could use leadtek bios on msi fine, so i tried the 5900 ultra bios for leadtek, the reason i chose this was cuz i tried nvflash to the msi 5900, but the thing is it would never flash, kept saying errors. Anyway i use the WFFlash, for leadteks, and it flashed the card, i went into windows, it wasn't recognising the card, just seda default monitor on, on the properties. Wehn i restarted my pc, tho at the start it said leadtek fx5900 ultra, anywa i decided to go back to my msi, as i had saved, but i cant, i tried flashing with the wFFlash and it wont as it isn't a leadtek bios, and the nvflash wont work, as it comes and says thres a mismatch. And then my friend told me to erase the bios, as it may not be letting me flash with the msi bios as the leadtek is on there, so i did, but it would still nto flash, and i couldn't keep my pc on forever, so it has no bios on the card, so i am using another card, although i have a pci card, and i hear that will help me flash the card, but i need to know how to do it properly, i have the bios, can soem1 please tell me what i should do exactly. Or if any knows what i might be doing wrong.