NVidia: How To Flash a Video BIOS for Hardware Overclocking

2»

Comments

• edited April 2004
    I'll tell you one thing you did wrong was after flashing the Leadtek bios on the card you didn't reinstall the drivers, you should have tried that first and then decided if the card was working from there.
    Contact MSI and tell them the bios on your card got corrupted "somehow" and ask them if they have a utility to flash it from dos along with a new bios, try to get the FX 5900U bios and with the MSI card in your AGP port and the PCI vid card installed and hooked to your monitor reflash the bios following MSI's instructions.
  • edited April 2004
    i forgot to write that i did get the leadtek drivers, and they were bull****, it would extract ready for instilation, then not frigging install, should of wrote that sorry.
  • edited April 2004
    and i got this site that has loads of bios's for all different makes of cards, so its no prob to get the ultra bios, i just wanna know what msi factroy use to flash it, i'll email em see what they say.
  • edited May 2004
    i have a geforce fx 5200...of chaintech....i try to overclock it through nvflash but the values remain the same at 250/400 what to do plzz help thanks
  • edited May 2004
    Hey guys. I've got a serious problem with my ABIT GF4 ti 4600. Iv'e been trying to install a TT DragonOrb3 on it, using allready made 4 holes around the GPU. Ufcourse I had to drill it up a little bit, so they were 3mm wide and not only 2mm. At that point the card was still working perfectly. But later when i tried to put the DO3 on, the holes weren't matching, so i had to drill 'em up a bit more. But there was an accident, snd i drilled some more of the silicium in one of the holes. The hole widened and took some of the connections with it. At first it only seemed one, so i took the card to the neighbour and he soldered it, but obviously there were more of them in the depth, and so the card cannot be fixed. So i was thinkind of buying a broken 4400 and soldering the GPU and RAM grom my 4600 to 4400, and flashing it to 4600. What do you think? Would it work?
  • edited May 2004
    Hi SimGuy

Im new around here but this site is hopefully just the place for me to ask a question :)

I recently bought a Gainward 5900XT 256mb 1300 GoldenSample after reading reviews on its BIOS upgradability to a 5950Ultra.

Having pushed the core to 520 and memory to 950 stable, I am ready and confident that it can handle the 5950 Ultra's default settings.

I came across a 5950U Gainward BIOS for use with the 1300 Model.

After following the instructions on this site and using the bios from the other site (which other folks seem to have flashed successfully) I have run into problems.

I have managed to create backups of my current BIOS, but when I run the flash command (NVflash 4.46) of " NVflash.exe -f ***.rom" I get the following error:

" WARNING: ROM image file PCI vendor Device ID (10DE.0333), doesnt match chip PCI vendor, device ID (10DE.0332) "

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited May 2004
    Could you post a link to the Gainward 5950U BIOS for me?

AFAIK, the problem is that the BIOS you are trying to flash onto your Gainward card doesn't have the correct PCI Device ID set. It can be changed with a BIOS editor.

Either that... or you'll have to find another BIOS that perfectly matches the PCI Device ID, which may be very hard to come by.
  • edited May 2004
    http://www.pcunleash.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=MyItemReview&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=24

There you go, sorry bout the long link name.

Hopefully you can come to a sollution for this problem?

Thanks
    Pleebo
  • edited May 2004
    listen if u really wanna flash ur gainward card to a 5950u......
    u need the bios of leadtek 5950u.....that 1 works...
    i flashed a card with that and it worked....
    hope it works for u..
    and use wfflash...
    not nviflash....it doesnt overwrite the files properly..
    u will find the files on the net....if u dont then contact me..
  • edited May 2004
    can any1 plzz tell me how to keep the new settings in the GPU and memory to stick in the x-bios editor
  • edited June 2004
    Hey Kram

Just spent the day on the same problem as you have.
    This is what i have found out so far.
    Its a thing with the nvidia driver not the bios. If you un-install all your nvidia drivers and check the bios settings (i use aida32) the memory bus setting is as you have set in the bios. You can install the drivers again and the setting stays the same but as soon as you go into the device properties and set the screen size or anything for that matter and hit "apply" the setting reverts back to some default in the driver. I am using XP Home Edition BTW. I have mucked around in the registry but haven't found anything yet to fix it. Hope that helps a bit, sorry its not a solution

Raoul

Gigabyte GA-8SIMLH
    Intel 1.7Ghz Celeron
    GeForce4 MX440SE-8X softmod to Quadro 580 XGL
    512mb DDR333mhz
  • edited June 2004
    mave_3 wrote:
    can any1 plzz tell me how to keep the new settings in the GPU and memory to stick in the x-bios editor

Mave

Just posted a note to Kram that might help you too

Raoul
  • edited July 2004
    According to this http://users.rcn.com/chare/video.htm
    The specs of a Fx 5200 and the FX 5500 are the same thing so I wonder if there anyway to succesfully mod a fx5200 in to a Fx5500 ...

Will it be any advantage ? :rolleyes: Am I missing something important 8o ? or Just be happy to Oc a little bit :yawnsigh ?

thanx :)
  • edited November 2004
    new to the site ,

ill just get to piont, bought a no namer fx 5700 le off ebay it was new but it really dosent do as good as my old bfg 5200 maby 100 points better with 3dmark01 blah....... i was wondering if my new card could run as a reg 5700? (p.s.i have reva tunner maxed out 280/460 with no flaws but it still dosent perform)

im running an amd 2800 /512 pc 3200

would flashing the bios do any thing is the real Q. if not im out a 100 bucks for this card as i will reinstall my 5200
  • edited December 2004
    I am having the same "Bab PCI Header" problem. I have an MSI GeforceFX 5900 Ultra. I recently reflashed it to an FX 5950 Ultra. (MSI bios) Everything is great and the clock speeds were updated, however, I cannot do anything at all with X-Bios now. When i try to open the bios from the card it says "Bab PCI Header." I have no problems with it other than this. It isn't a huge issue, I would just like to know why I recieve this error and I didn't before with the original 5900 Ultra bios. Thanks.
    Supervisor wrote:
    I have a problem with the xbios that has not been discussed here and I can not find any help info anywhere. I just bought and installed a Geforce FX 5950. It runs sweet as heck but there is room for overclocking!! Anyway, I have downloaded the xBIOS, version 1.03.520 as listed in this forum. I have all the other files downloaded and ready to go but my problem is that I can not even create the bios image for some reason. When I try to create it using xbios, it gives and error of "Bab PCI Header!", and I am assuming that the 'Bab' is a mis-spell meant to be 'bad'. No image gets created. When I try to get the image using dumpbios, the 'A' drive light stays on forever (watched a 2 1/4 hour movie and it was still going when I was done). I am using Windows XP, ABIT NF7-s Ver 2.0 motherboard. Any help would and will be appreciated. It's driving me nuts!!
    Sup
  • edited March 2005
    Hey guys I am new around here and have a BFG 5900XT and I was wondering what BIOS i can use to flash my card. I have heard that it is possible to flash my card to a 5950 or 5900 ultra but am not sure on the procedure. I tried using the tecqnique described in the first post but when running the nvflash it gives me some error about needing a zip file or something. Thanks for the help.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Will this work for a 6800 GT, i read it hasnt been updated in a long time, so will the reflashed bios work?
  • edited January 2006
    Hi guys

I am having severe bother with my DESKTOP after i used the MSI live update3 program to update the VGA drivers. As far as i know it has flashed teh GFX card, Nvidia geforce FX 5600(256) and it now no longer works... i get like checkered coloured lines allover display......

Does anyone know if i can sucessfully flash the original firmware drivers back onto this video card.... Cos if not i got a lot of saving to do to get a new one!

thnx in advance for any help!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    pop in a pci card boot in dos and force a flash to it(as long as you backed up the old bios).
  • edited January 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    pop in a pci card boot in dos and force a flash to it(as long as you backed up the old bios).

That is my problem...... I have no backup!

I was wondering if theer was somewhere i could download the original cards bios.....
  • edited February 2006
    Pleebo wrote:
    Hi SimGuy

Im new around here but this site is hopefully just the place for me to ask a question :)

I recently bought a Gainward 5900XT 256mb 1300 GoldenSample after reading reviews on its BIOS upgradability to a 5950Ultra.

Having pushed the core to 520 and memory to 950 stable, I am ready and confident that it can handle the 5950 Ultra's default settings.

I came across a 5950U Gainward BIOS for use with the 1300 Model.

After following the instructions on this site and using the bios from the other site (which other folks seem to have flashed successfully) I have run into problems.

I have managed to create backups of my current BIOS, but when I run the flash command (NVflash 4.46) of " NVflash.exe -f ***.rom" I get the following error:

" WARNING: ROM image file PCI vendor Device ID (10DE.0333), doesnt match chip PCI vendor, device ID (10DE.0332) "

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

I NEED THE GAINWARD 5950 ULTRA BIOS-CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE TO GET IT? THANKS IN ADVANCE LGSCOTT52 - LGSCOTT52@SBCGLOBAL.NET
  • edited March 2006
    hi boys i had a fx 5500 and fx 6600gt, i try too flash fx 5500 bios and complete flahing, retarting compiuter and black sreen goes on what hapent?? please help !! :hiding::leet: :screwed: :grumble:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    sounds like a bad flash to me.... sorry.
  • edited March 2006
    me too , but can i try reflash ?

in bios editor i do like this 270/400 too 360/510 can thies setings kill my card?

and than flash my card and card not responding i kiled it? :eek3::ninja:

please help :(
  • edited March 2006
    guys please help!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Cosmic Gate: Your signature image was ridiculously huge. I removed it. Please upload a smaller sig.

I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon
  • RECONRECON DE-TH-MY
    edited July 2006
    Maybe I can help but maybe you make more wrong with my help as possible.
    Its not my problem if you shoot your card with the following instructions.
    I not responcable so if you flash its up to you.

Here almost all Bioses you can normaly use every manufactur Bios only importand that the kind of card is the right one you can not flash eg. gforce 4500 to gforce 4700 will kill it 100%

Recovery:
    Download the right bios!
    If you have gfx5500 os its: http://www.maxxon.com.cn/xsa/other/gfx5500.bin
    no other one!!!
    run flshaer tool in force or how it called mode if no other comands help!

The rest almost all bioses here:
    http://www.maxxon.com.cn/xsa/xz8.htm

It might be lot action but if something going wrong you will need a epromer pic programmer etc... to make the small chip out and flash with it then solder back in.
    Ther elot instructions in the net how to build a easy epromer, pic programer etc.. Electronical knowledge is required but it not to difficult if u follow the instructions almost parts below than 10 us dollar most expencive on it is the socket only. Cable to pc printer port (some can conect with max (maxim) ic (you get up to 5 pieces by maxim as free sample worldwide of this ic's) to parallel port)
    Never flash the card if its not really needed or a newer version is out of the same type of card!
    Backup always before u do anything!
    Better use nvida bios editor to boost your card with the original bios dump it, go small steps higher in clock mhz. Never more than 10%

Greetings

RECON Media Dev.

Tech Dep. Malaysia

www.novaweb.info.ms
  • RECONRECON DE-TH-MY
    edited July 2006
    me too , but can i try reflash ?

in bios editor i do like this 270/400 too 360/510 can thies setings kill my card?

and than flash my card and card not responding i kiled it? :eek3::ninja:

please help :(
    Of course it will never go a screen on with it.
    u put from 400 to 510 MHz!!!!
    and 270 to 360 MHz!!!

Plane fall from sky, 100 mhz boostet impossible!!!
    I told 10 % and test before with software tweaker not on hardware!!!
    set +5 , + 10 MHz test in warm, hot conditions in case at least by playing game with need all graphic power 1h. If it work no stripes etc. try 3 to 5 Mhz more. Peak all together the chips can take never more than 50 MHz if u change the cooler with water cooler on it. If not chip burn inside out.

RECOn Media Tech Asia - Malaysia

Sorry for bad English.
  • RECONRECON DE-TH-MY
    edited July 2006
    Read standard simple dos instruction how to work in ms dos command promt.
    Forgotten DOS since win xp?
    put dpmi on disk file
    command promt: nvflash.exe /f mygf4600.rom
    means file nvflash.exe and mygf4600.rom must be on disk!!!
    Create disk use explorer create start disk boot disk format.
    under explorer drive a or b put in a empty disk -> propertys -> format -> in dialog: hit on "Create an MS-DOS startup disk"
    not quick format!
    copy the needed files to the disk!
    bozz wrote:
    i did almost exactly what you wrote simguy, except for the fact that i put all the necessary files on one disk, including the bios and the flasher.
    the problem is that i get an error message when i start the nvflasher, namely that the DPMI is missing or something like that, i forgot the correct message *sigh* ----> see edit

just wanted to know if you or anyone else here ever encountered that problem or at least could give me a hint what to do.

thanks in advance ;)
    bozz

eeeeeeeeeedit:

1. i've now done used 2 disks, just to make sure ... same sh*t, different day ;|
    but i've got a little more info on the error messages this time:
    - when i enter nvflash /f mygf4600.rom, it says "Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip"
    - when i use dos4gw nvflash / mygf4600.rom, it says "can't load executive format for NVFLASH.exe

any ideas ? :(

edit #2:
    should've remembered that i hadn't tried google yet ... i've flashed the bios successfully, but the problems remain (suppose i've damaged the card when i tried to install a different cooler)
  • edited October 2006
    PLEASE HELP ME! i want to flash my fx 5200 to a fx 5500 but how do i do that?plz someone tell me.what programs do i need and plz explain how i do this step by step casue im not a genious at this.PLEASE someone drop me an email to tell me or replie to this form or both but plz i need to know.my email is rynovanzyl at hotmail dot com.