The short-media family

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2004 in Community
You know, I was PMing someone tonight, explaining the dynamic of our little group here, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized what an amazing thing we have here. Let me give a snippet of what I told this person:

"We're like a family at this site. We hang out together. Members of this site have played with my kids and slept in my house. You won't find a tighter community on the net. We've laughed and cried together, members of our online family have been born and died, all at our humble little site. If you can't trust people here, you can't trust them anywhere on the web."

And when I read that back, I realized that it is true. I can't believe what an amazing dynamic we have here. I truly do consider you guys a part of my family. What an amazing community.

In all honesty, I love you guys. Thanks for everything.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Pics!!!!! :p

In all honesty, you're right. Spending those weekends at your place were some of the best times I've had in a while. I felt right at home, everyone made me feel comfortable. I can't wait to head back, especially if Shorty comes to town for a visit.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I'd never quite thought of it before.. But yeah, it is true.

I've been granted the confidence by you to sit alone with your kids in the car. And while I would never dream of doing something gruesome, and I know you know that I wouldn't, how many other parents would let someone they've only met once or twice do that? Not many, I can guarantee. This site has a trust and respect to it. I've been granted the confidence by you to sit in your home unsupervised with other people in the prime criminal demographic.

And you know, I know you thought little of it, and I thought little of it.. No one thought about it at all.. But now that you make the comment, and I put the statistics together, it's a big thing. The confidence displayed by ALL of us in our S-M peers is amazing.

I've eaten at your dinner table. I've had a great time with your family. I've celebrated holidays with your family and some of S-M's finest folks. I've sat up nearly three days straight to plays games with you folks, to have coffee with you folks, to eat and be marry with you folks.

Riding to the OHOP with Perry and Kyle wedged between Thom and myself in the back seat while we jam to C&C. Watching snuffie try to hump the bejesus out of Prof's leg. Malfing Seth's polycarb lenses with a laserpointer. Untamed Retribution.

These are memories I won't be forgetting easily, and they all came from right here.. The place I call my "Home away from home."
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    You can't forget Chaos Element, Ninjer Pr0n, the air horn, waiting outside of the chicken wing place because Thrax wasn't of age, Michigan lefts, the massive amounts of meat for the BBQ, Me and Thom laughing at the mantouch guy at Radio Shack, busting on Thom's busted ass Neon, the fight with Dina and Brian about my choice to vote for Bush, driving 10 hours with Keebs in a car, and learning that it's a very very very bad idea to use the bathroom after Blackhawk.
    edited October 2004
    Hey, I realized after I got made fun of for not being of age that the door jockey said 21 and older. Keebs had just turned 20, he wouldn't have made it in either. ;D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Keebs had just turned 20, he wouldn't have made it in either. ;D
    I turned 21 on June 19 :P ;)

I've been thinking of this site in that way for a long while now. When I don't get to hang on the site much my friends here at college sometimes hear me complain that I miss everyone on Short-Media :(

I mean, why else would a major goal of my life right now be to find an excuse to get to western Canada?
    /me has plans to camp on MM's floor for a day or two... :D

We had a really exceptional core group on Icrontic, and it only got better with our odd ordeal and the addition of so many great people since then. Maybe I'm a broken record, but I'll recall that moment on IC when I realized it wasn't an ordinary group. I was trying to figure out some problem, and needed an adapter (I don't remember what kind). Out of the blue, Clutch offered to mail me one if I needed it. I'd made well less than a hundred posts at the time and was just blown away that someone would do that.

A telling sign is that I spent 2 weeks finding old members at all hours after IC went down... I was to be damned if the community wasn't going to stick together, and I felt that quite seriously. It really got to me when I couldn't find people like Preacher or Mr. Bojingles after the move, and I had personal moments of victory when they found us weeks and months later.

...and why else would we have sappy threads like this every other month or so?? ;D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2004
    Though, time wise, we are fairly new to SM......Jan/Feb 2004, it was the feeling this site gave us that made us feel right at home. Not unlike an old comfy chair. (thoughts of bothered's avatar). ;D

Prior to SM i had searched through a lot of computer forums for information. Most had that "Big City" feel about it. Lots of people, no-one wanted to say anything in case i may have mugged them or something. :rolleyes:

The first post we made brought a lot of intelligent comments, with just the right amount of humour attached. Made us feel we wanted to ask MORE questions, instead of being scared off like some of the other places we had visited.

Best way to descibe Short-Media?????????...............a Unique place for family to share information/idea's/jokes/BS etc. :thumbsup:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2004
    yea its really unbeleivable how tight knit this little community is, Its been nice to be around it even though I'm so far away.

It was good to have lunch with Prime, Short-Media is indeed a neet place.

"g"
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited October 2004
    dragonV8 wrote:
    The first post we made brought a lot of intelligent comments, with just the right amount of humour attached. Made us feel we wanted to ask MORE questions, instead of being scared off like some of the other places we had visited.

Best way to descibe Short-Media?????????...............a Unique place for family to share information/idea's/jokes/BS etc. :thumbsup:
    cheers to that :cheers:

LIN
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I hit Icrontic in 2002 (hence the QCH2002) and that the first forum I had ever joined. I had visited the site every day or so for over a year prior... I was starting to feel very attached to the site when it was hacked... I was lost.

Short-Media was sent down from the heavens to save my poor soul. I felt that I had a chance to be a founding member in a community. I had no idea that the community would become more of an extended family in such a short period of time.

Going to the SM LAN-04, I realize that SM people are some of the finest people I have ever hung out with. I come here everyday to see what's going on and if I can help anyone. I check SM before I check my email most days...

This is a group of people that I would, and have, recommended to my friends and family. Long Live Short-(Prime)-Media (Prime is silent)
  • edited October 2004
    If we're a family I volunteer to be the blacksheep... :wave:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    madmat wrote:
    If we're a family I volunteer to be the blacksheep... :wave:
    But you already are ;D
  • edited October 2004
    :scratch: -> :wtf: -> :thumbsup: I do believe I've been got...or not (you might be serious) :shakehead
    edited October 2004
    madmat wrote:
    :scratch: -> :wtf: -> :thumbsup: I do believe I've been got...or not (you might be serious) :shakehead
    ;D;D:D Only meant as humour as always mate :cool:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2004
    QCH2002, That could have been me talking. Exactly the same. I think it was prime who sent me an email inviting me here after Icrontic went down. I used to love Icrontic, another brilliant forum and it was horrible when it went. I also check SM first thing and pop in here throughout the day. I come mainly for the 'social' side of things as my PC 'expertese' is 38 levels below most members but there is a real social aspect to SM that I haven't seen anywhere else on the net. SM is more personal to me than my online banking.
  • edited October 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    ;D;D:D Only meant as humour as always mate :cool:
    Shorty...if only your av wasn't sitting there flipping me off as I read that...;)
    edited October 2004
    madmat wrote:
    Shorty...if only your av wasn't sitting there flipping me off as I read that...;)
    ;D;D

Perhaps I should move that one out of the rotation ;D
    edited October 2004
    bothered wrote:
    QCH2002, That could have been me talking. Exactly the same. I think it was prime who sent me an email inviting me here after Icrontic went down. I used to love Icrontic, another brilliant forum and it was horrible when it went. I also check SM first thing and pop in here throughout the day. I come mainly for the 'social' side of things as my PC 'expertese' is 38 levels below most members but there is a real social aspect to SM that I haven't seen anywhere else on the net. SM is more personal to me than my online banking.

You may not consider yourself a technological expert, but I know I <i>certainly</i> enjoy your dry sense of humour (Shorty's too, ya damn Brits).
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2004
    Shucks, thanks Thrax.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited October 2004
    I feel the same way... This site is great. I just wish I could be a part of what goes on outside of the forums. That probably won't happen any time soon. :(
    edited October 2004
    It will if you drive a long way! It's a funny thing. If someone from WAY out of town shows up in Michigan, members come. It's a corollary.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Yea I know whatcha mean Prime. I've been around IC for years and its where i grew up. When i got a chance to work over at IC with Citrix I jumped at it, But i still find myself here just as much if not more than IC cause I just feel more at home with you guys. So really i guess I say Thanks to all ( yes even Thrax ! )
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2004
    Yeah.. I'm pretty new around here (since April maybe?), and I already feel really close to everyone. This was my first forum I joined, too, and now I'm here all the time, whether you like it or not :D. I can't even remember WHY I first came here ... but now anytime I have something I just can't figure out, or even to blow off steam or putz around in the Pub, I come here.

This really is my intarspace (a terrible hybrid of intarweb and cyberspace ;D) home. Even if I didn't get to go to the LAN, it feels as if I was there, because of all the references to it. Maybe I can go this year (if it's during the summer ... the chance is good, since I can drive!:D), and that would make it even better... to see everyone in person.

So, here's to a great community, and even greater folks! :)
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    WORD!!!

this place rocks, even tho i haven't been posting much recently.

I love all of your guys.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2004
    This place is the greatest. Years ago I used to visit several different tech sites. Not anymore.

Family? Yep. I laugh with you, cry with you, cheer for you, gripe along with (but not at) you and care very much for all of my many good friends here. Sure feels like home. :)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2004
    leishi85 wrote:
    WORD!!!

this place rocks, even tho i haven't been posting much recently.

I love all of your guys.
    Easy there, bud :wtf:

;D
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    well, i mean you guys,

damn typo
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited October 2004
    I really don't post that much here, mainly because I get beat out of helping people by the best online helpdesk i've seen so far.

But I do have to say everyone is nice, it is fun to read the banter, and can help pass a boring day at work sometimes. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah and I do enjoy the tightknittedness of the folding community here.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2004
    I didnt even go to the S-M lan party and twice a day i keep thining a dog is humping my leg for gawds sake. Thats the power of this site and thrax....

I do have have one reservation.... Am I the only one that thinks a site we nicknamed S-M is maybe a tad perverted? Ok I mean not for me but for NORMAL people maybe? I mean s/m is sorta well .... I mean who thought up this crap anyway? (grin)

tex
    edited October 2004
    I think the distinction in using S-M instead of S&M. Heh. ;D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2004
    I like it my way better

Tex