Help with Icrontic download!!

edited February 2008 in Community
I just got a G15 keyboard and tried to download http://icrontic.com/downloads/sirreal and everytime I click on it the only thing that happens is the page gets refreshed. I then tried 3 other random downloads on Icrontic and got the same results. I tried other sites and have no problem anywhere else. does anyone know what's going on???

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Check you popup blocker...it opens a new Window/tab and then there is another link for the download.

Everything working fine for me in IE7
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    sakdiesel wrote:
    I just got a G15 keyboard and tried to download http://icrontic.com/downloads/sirreal and everytime I click on it the only thing that happens is the page gets refreshed. I then tried 3 other random downloads on Icrontic and got the same results. I tried other sites and have no problem anywhere else. does anyone know what's going on???

You would not happen to be using FireFox? I sometimes get this problem as well; while using FF. It does not seem to do so when using IE or Opera.
  • edited January 2008
    I turned of my popup blocker and still no popup to save file or download. I have been using FF but switched to IE as you suggested Thelemech and made sure that popup blocker was turned off and I still get nothing but a page refresh. Is there a setting at Icrontic to allow or disallow downloads by a member?
  • edited January 2008
    What throws me off is the fact that I can go anywhere else and have no problem downloading.
    edited January 2008
    How about Right click and "Save as"?
  • edited January 2008
    Right click gives me a "save file as" which saves the html file of the existing download page
    edited January 2008
    Are you even getting to the page when you click the link you gave?

If you click this link: http://icrontic.com/downloads/sirreal

What do you get? Just the page refresh?

How about here: http://icrontic.com/downloads
  • edited January 2008
    Yes, I get to the page either way. But clicking on the link to download the file still refreshes the page
    edited January 2008
    Try this one then: Linky
  • edited January 2008
    That worked! Where did that come from?
    edited January 2008
    I downloaded it and re-hosted it for you...I do not know what is wrong with you downloading from this site, but it seems to work fine. It almost has to be something on your end.
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks for the rehosting :D I would like to find out what the problem is and correct it though :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure what the issue is :-/ I'll explain how it works and see if it makes you think of something. Do you have cookies disabled?

When you go to a download page, it starts a new session and sets a session variable to say "I've seen the download page with the ad". When you click on the actual file's link, it checks for that session variable and then lets you download. If it can't find the variable, it sends you back to that page. That's to prevent hot-linking straight to the file download without seeing any ads on the site.

It seems to me that it's not recognizing your session, hence the page refresh. This is one of those "I can't debug without knowing the rest of the variables involved" issues since I don't know how to duplicate the problem.
  • edited January 2008
    It has taken me some time to get back to my computer (working too much), hence the lag in response time to your reply Keebler.

No, I do not have cookies disabled. I generally have a popup blocker running on Firefox but I have set it to allow them from Icrontic. I have even tried to turn off the popup blocker to no avail. :(

I will be happy to work with you in order to find the problem so that we can eliminate the possibility of anyone else having to deal with it in the future
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Mr. Diesel, I'm pretty sure the problem is with your system. It's probably a setting in Firefox. I just tried the download from your link while running FireFox. It works perfectly.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I also have no issue.
  • edited January 2008
    I have tried with IE and the same thing happens so it doesn't seem to be just Firefox. The thing that I don't understand is that I have no issues downloading anywhere else. Any ideas on what setting in my system would affect downloads only on Icrontic? :confused:
    edited January 2008
    I'm still scratching my head. Aside from cookies, I can't think of anything that would be preventing you from getting to it.
  • edited January 2008
    I just tried to download different files from http://www.icrontic.com/downloads and every one I clicked on opened up another window of the same page except http://icrontic.com/downloads/sirreal which just refreshed the page in the same window. Wierd :confused:

I tried (as a friend of mine suggested) to add Icrontic to my list of trusted sites. Didn't work :(

By the way: is Spiceworks a trustworthy program?
    edited January 2008
    Some of the links take you to other sites to download, hence the new windows.

What is spiceworks?
  • edited January 2008
    They open up the same window in another tab

Spiceworks is being advertised at the top of this page :D

Well, It was
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Spiceworks is totally legit and extremely awesome.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Spiceworks is totally legit and extremely awesome.

I use spiceworks every day, and it rocks. And is free.
    edited January 2008
    I seem to have accidentally duplicated the error with the dev box. Maybe I'll be able to figure it out now :ninja:
  • edited January 2008
    Excellent on both!

I will try Spiceworks and I will give more info to you, Keebler if it will help.
  • edited January 2008
    Hey guys I'm having the same problem with downloads and have never had a problem with downloads from this site. I get multiple new pages stacked in my browser instead of a redirect to the download. This happens with both IE and FF on 2 different computers at home that I own and a laptop I was fixing for a co worker. All 3 are different brands and the one I was working on had no firewall at the time since that is one of the things I was trying to download. I still have to run the same routine at my computer in the office which I'll be starting here in about an hour when I get back.
    Here at home though, Cookies are allowed but delete upon closing FF. Icrontic is not on the blocked list. Pop up blocker is not turned on either. I don't get many pop ups but for instance forum PM's come to me with no problem.
    I did manage to find downloads that were safe but it's nice to have them on this site for peace of mind anyway.

my thread : http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68667
  • edited January 2008
    Ok i've already removed McAfee from this computer I can't download through FF or IE. Same results icrontic is on the allowed list for IE pop up blocker.
    Come to think of it this couldn't be caused by pop up blocker when I click to download I get some action a new window is created but what is loaded is the same page I started with.
  • edited January 2008
    Nice to know that I am not the only one with this screwy problem. :cool:
  • edited January 2008
    Funny thing too I've never had a problem downloading from here and been using this site for almost 2 years now I think, maybe it's almost 3.
  • edited January 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    Some of the links take you to other sites to download, hence the new windows.

What is spiceworks?

Keebler I don't always get a new window some links only refresh the page in the same window. AdAware 2007 though for instance is one of the ones that open new windows. I've tried everything I can think of and still get the same results on 3 different computers. It's not due to blocked cookies or pop up blocker and It can't be firewall either.
    Could it be tab settings in FF maybe?