New white/dark fedora themes

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Community
I've pushed the new forum themes live that I've been talking about for the last week or so.

I've already gotten a couple useful pieces of feedback, namely that the "Find New Posts" link is not in enough places anymore so I'll try and fix that sometime tomorrow. Also, I think I found a non-obtrusive place for the Forum Jump menu so that may be back as well.

Let me know what's broken, unruly, or otherwise annoying. :)

//edit: There seems to be a gap at the top of every post. Will remedy whatever's causing that as well.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Excellent work. It looks very nice. I think you just about have Vbulletin tamed. Any word on the wordpress MU implementation? (excuse the pun)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Any word on the wordpress MU implementation?
    Not really; still kinda up-in-the-air about it. It's complicated enough that customizing the vBulletin blog templates is looking like a better bet (and that's saying something).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Yes, having the "find new posts" on every page would be nice. Other than that, it's very slick, Matt.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Very much liking the look. Should the bar above the top post spread to the edges?

banner%20width.PNG
    edited April 2009
    That happens when the page isn't fully loaded. Just refresh.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Looking good man, the new look feels really comfortable so far.

I'll keep my eyes open for bugs
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:

I'm having the same thing happen no matter the refresh state. The reply bar extends to the edge, but the bar in the topic does not.
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I didn't upload the new postbit.css file fast enough. If you still see that, Ctrl+F5 is your magic cure. :)
    edited April 2009
    Bettar!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Icrontic is looking sexier than ever.
    edited April 2009
    I added "New Posts - Today's Posts - Mark All Read" to the footer of every page. I also attached access keys to each (mouseover each to see).

For instance, in Firefox you can now press Alt+Shift+N on any forum page to jump to the New Posts search.
    edited April 2009
    F#cking hot.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    All good except for us "backwards" people :p;D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    The listings under the "Newest Posts" area seems weird. I feel like the discussion title should be easier to recognize than what was posted or who posted it.

Very minor gripe, I really like how everything looks now, great job :thumbsup:
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Out of curiosity, will this thing remember that I collapse the "new posts" area and not always maximize it? While useful, I find it takes up more space than I'd like...

EDIT!:

Also: Buttons in Dark Fedora don't have text in the quick reply area.
    edited April 2009
    will this thing remember that I collapse the "new posts" area and not always maximize it?
    Yes.
    Buttons in Dark Fedora don't have text in the quick reply area.
    I don't follow.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Fabulous. I was enjoying just looking at the forum page for awhile :thumbsup:

I kind of wish that the forums would extend across to the right side when the right sidebar is done, just to fill in the space. I don't know if that's possible in a dynamic way, though (to support varying length Bytes and member lists). It bothers me less in the dark theme. Anyway, not a big deal compared to the many benefits of the switch.
    edited April 2009
    The dynamics of the page layout prohibit that from happening. The forums come first and are "floated" to the left so that the sidebar will come up on the right side. If some of the forums were wider, the sidebar would get stuck at the end of the page.

Semanitcally, the page goes:
    • Header
    • Latest Posts
    • Forums
    • Sidebar
    • Footer

Also, contrast what you're seeing with what other people see. You have 2 extra forum categories as an adjudicator.

Lastly, when there are Events, Milestones, Birthdays, or lots of members online, the sidebar will get long pretty fast.
    edited April 2009
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    I feel like the discussion title should be easier to recognize than what was posted or who posted it.
    I made the » before the thread title orange and gave it a space on the right. That adds visual weight and makes it consistent with the lists in the sidebar.
    edited April 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    I don't follow.

You see how the "reply with quote" button has "reply with quote" in it?

At the bottom of every thread is a quick reply doodad, it does not (easily) let you know which button does what. They're completely blank.

As a note: This might just be a chrome bug...

Edit: This is, actually, a bug specific to chrome. There is no "Add Comment" text when viewed in chrome. Image for reference.
    edited April 2009
    Maybe if you didn't try to use a browser that's like a Ferrari with no doors... ;)
    edited April 2009
    This is, actually, a bug specific to chrome. There is no "Add Comment" text when viewed in chrome.
    It all works fine in Chrome for me, both themes. Can anyone else see this issue?
    edited April 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    It all works fine in Chrome for me, both themes. Can anyone else see this issue?

I sometimes forget I'm using the developer preview. So my bad?
    edited April 2009
    I also have a few more complaints (that aside, I love the new scheme, really).

The profile pages still have the extreme dark blue for headings when using the dark fedora theme. It's not a HUGE deal, and it might still be my whole Chrome Beta stuff, but it hurts mah eyes.
    edited April 2009
    The profile pages still have the extreme dark blue for headings when using the dark fedora theme.
    "Still"? Well why didn't someone tell me? :p Fixt.
    edited April 2009
    I just added a default avatar for users without one.

Also, fixed a bug where users with avatars disabled would still see a guest's gravatar. (Thanks to GHoosdum for reporting it)
    edited April 2009
    I hope my screen shots are being particularly helpful. :tongue:
    edited April 2009
    Bug reports from developers are usually the easiest ones to fix or definitively dismiss. ;)
    edited April 2009
    Thrax echoed an earlier request by Ryder for putting a "Reply" button at the top of discussions once more. I've added a "Reply to Discussion" link next to the "Options" dropdown to fill this need.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    I made the » before the thread title orange and gave it a space on the right. That adds visual weight and makes it consistent with the lists in the sidebar.

:rockon: