New Graphic Card

ashugtiwariashugtiwari Bangalore, Karnataka
edited October 2009 in Hardware
Hi All,
I have system with Intel D102GGC2 motherboard, @GB graphic card and PCI X16 slot. The system has ATI Radeon X200 256MB graphic card, but not good & cannot play newer games. I am from India. I want to upgrade the graphic card within Rs.5000 or $104 with good performance. Please suggest me some good card. And which should I prefer Nvidia or ATI?

Thanks
Ashutosh

Comments

• edited September 2009
    IMHO, HD4850 is the best graphics card (since HD 4870 seems to be slightly out of $100 range) which can be found for around $100 in US. If the prices in India are higher, you can try a HD4770 (it is difficult to find and price can be higher than HD4850 here) or HD4670. With that motherboard, your processor is probably a Pentium 4 or Pentium D at best. It will limit the performance of HD4850 especially at higher resolutions. ATI is currently ahead of game compared to Nvidia and will release a new generation of GPUs very soon. Prices will probably change at the upper end of market with the new products but there might be some changes in the $100 level as well.

On the Nvidia side, if the availability is better, GTS250 (probably out of price range), 9800GT, and 9600GT can also be considered in the decreasing order of performance and price.

In the end, I think an HD4670 would be a balanced match to your current computer without braking the bank.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing prices are going to be a bit higher in India so HD 4850/4770 would probably be out of your price range. Try for one if you can but otherwise go for the 9600GT. It's generally a good bit faster than the HD 4670 (especially at higher resolutions and/or anti-aliasing) and can be found for pretty cheap.
  • ashugtiwariashugtiwari Bangalore, Karnataka
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for reply frndz,
    I heard about ATI that in some games the distant object disappears like crysis warhead and with higher settings game performes slower like slower movement. So, is it good idea to go for ATI.
    Thanks once again.

Ashutosh
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Texture popping has to do with a lot of factors. Graphics memory, drivers, graphics settings, the game itself, etc. I don't think you're any more likely to experience it with ATI than you are with Nvidia.
  • edited September 2009
    AFAIK, there are no such texture issues specifically happening with either side, ATI or Nvidia. Obsidian's recommendation of 9600GT is faster than HD4670. Unless you are planning to upgrade your computer soon, I would recommend buying the cheapest card that will let you play your games with your Pentium 4 (or D) and save the money for next computer's GPU.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I just got my 4850 in yesterday and it's an unbelievable upgrade from my GeForce 7900. The only game I play that doesn't run remarkably better is DoW2, and that still runs a good deal better... just not remarkably better.

I can max TF2 and get >40 fps, where with the 7900 I was getting <40 at minimum settings in DX8 mode at 800x600.

L4D has never looked so good. I'm amazed at how beautiful that game really is.
  • ashugtiwariashugtiwari Bangalore, Karnataka
    edited October 2009
    Well, My frndz recomending me for Nvidia graphic card, one of them has 9400GT at his system and it works ausome with his HDTV, most of new games he plays nicely and as fast as console gaming. Then, in ATI there are some problems regarding frame rate and poor performance in terms of response time, as I have already mensioned, and after reading the thread from other forums.
    I don't know much of ATI and have experienced the Nvidia on the HDTV with frndz. So, is it worth to go for ATI card?

Thanks for reply.
  • edited October 2009
    I think this thread is useless now since the OP started the same topic in the other thread.