Gaming console or graphic card

ashugtiwariashugtiwari Bangalore, Karnataka
edited October 2009 in Gaming
Hi Frndz,
I am planning to bye a better performance graphic card for PC or a gaming console. What should I prefer to bye? If Gaming console, which is good in everything (xbox or PS3) Or if graphic card which should i go for (nvidia or ati). I know very little about it.
Please reply. Thanks in advance.

Ashutosh

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    We have to know the rest of your current PC if we're going to give you a legitimate (read: non-fanboy) answer.

What processor do you have? Power supply? Is it a preconfigured box from HP, Dell, etc, or did you build it?

What's your budget if you were going to get a video card?

360 or PS3 will run you $300 US right now, with $50/year for Live if you want to play online. The PS3 will also function as a Blu-Ray player and a Folding@Home client.

tl;dr: We need more info.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Inb4 6RROD.
    edited October 2009
    ^ Well-played.
  • ashugtiwariashugtiwari Bangalore, Karnataka
    edited October 2009
    I have Intel D102GGC2 motherboard with 2GB ram which is max supported on system and total 2 PCI X16 slots for graphic card connection. I want to invest at right place & not worried about cost. Like the games are prepared specially for consoles and no need for upgrade once purchased as I heard about consoles, but in PC i need to everytime check for graphic card whether it matches the requirement.

please help me on it. Thanks for reply.

Ashutosh
  • edited October 2009
    I have Intel D102GGC2 motherboard with 2GB ram which is max supported on system and total 2 PCI X16 slots for graphic card connection. I want to invest at right place & not worried about cost. Like the games are prepared specially for consoles and no need for upgrade once purchased as I heard about consoles, but in PC i need to everytime check for graphic card whether it matches the requirement.

please help me on it. Thanks for reply.

Ashutosh

Your motherboard is old and supports Pentium D at best. I thought of following three possibilities for you.

- Buy a cheaper graphics card (like 9600GT) for around $100 and play most of the games out there at medium/high quality at lower resolutions (<= 1280x1024).
    - Buy a higher level graphics card (like HD4890 or HD5850) for around $200-$250. If you are not planning to upgrade the computer soon, that graphics card will be underperforming due to your old CPU and RAM. But you could still play latest games at close to high quality at medium-high resolutions (less than or equal to 1680x1050). If you are planning to upgrade your computer soon this graphics card will be part of that upgrade.
    - Or you can keep the computer as it is until your next full upgrade and buy a console for around ~$300. This makes most sense if you are not planning a full computer upgrade soon.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I see that system as having some serious limiting factors. Question here, is what do you expect to gain from the upgrade? Ram at 2gb is going to hamper loadtimes and probably keep your hardrive working extra on modern games with high texture details settings. Your power supply, while rated at 500 watts is of questionable quality from Frontech. The CPU you are using is not exactly known for its efficiency and it tends to run very hot. I'm guessing that board is squeezed into a micro ATX case of some kind?

Now, if you still want HD video acceleration and the ability to game at medium resolutions in medium detail you should be able to get there with something like this.

Honestly, given the questionable vintage of the power supply I would not recommend cards that require an additional external power connector, except for maybe the Radeon 4770 which loads at 80 watts or so, even then I think you would be overspending on that old rig with so many other limiting factors. I think a Radeon 4670 is reasonable at $70 or even a 4650 can be had for $50 and either will run fairly cool and not require a power draw past what the PCIE slot will require.

Are they monster cards? No. Will they enable HD video acceleration and gaming at medium resolutions and detail settings at frame rates that are at least playable? Sure.

Its not a bad band aid until you save for a new build.
  • edited October 2009
    Forget about my second alternative. I think Cliff has the best suggestion (HD4670) for a graphics card upgrade. Otherwise, buy a console to enjoy your games.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks a lot for reply and suggestion. I need some more help.
    I am not planning to upgrade my PC at all right now & I actually had planned for 9800GX2 GeForce but as my only intention is for games, now i am thinking for a game console. What would you say?

Well, which game console will best work xbox or PS3? Which is better in everything required for gaming experience? I don't have any experience with consoles and littile confused. Please relpy.

Ashutosh
    edited October 2009
    They're both good consoles, and you'll get a fanboy flame war if you try to recommend either one over the other. I own both, so here are my personal opinions:

The 360 is generally considered to have the best game library overall, and while Live is a paid service (usually $50 or less for a 12+1 month card, or $3.85 a month), it's much better than the free PlayStation Network, in my opinion.

The PS3 has a Blu-Ray drive inside, which has ups and downs. It's slower than a DVD drive, but the discs are larger, so games and movies can be bigger. This should, theoretically, translate to better-looking games, but so far that's not proven itself true. They're usually a wash; a lot of times, especially in the recent past, the 360 version looks better, if it's a cross-platform game. I think we're coming out of that now, and PS3 games will look better, but it's still a marginal difference at best, really. Having a Blu-Ray drive also means you can buy Blu-Ray movies and watch things in HD.

If you're on an SD TV, it really doesn't matter.

As for my usage: I game on my 360. It's where my friends are, it's got better network support, and it feels more integrated. I watch movies and run Folding@Home on my PS3 - almost no gaming at all.

Others, of course, will disagree, and we'll banter back and forth for days. Take my opinions as you will.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks snarkasm,
    I am still confused in the exact choice for xbox or PS3. I can purchase only one. Is the graphics for both are same or some difference exists in performance of both. I want good game library plus best gaming experience & performance. Please suggest.

Ashutosh
    edited October 2009
    I would vote XBox 360, then.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Your whole PC would have to be rehauled if you wanted a meaningful upgrade. From experience, I'll tell you it's worth it, especially if you don't already have an HDTV. If you're on a pretty limited budget I would probably go with the PS3, unless you really HAVE to play Halo 3 or something. Most of the big games nowadays come out for both consoles and the PS3's ability to play Blu-Ray, free multiplayer, and the possibility of it having a longer lifetime give it the edge in my book. This is coming from a long time Xbox 360 owner btw.
    edited October 2009
    What about the backward (old game) compatibility in both consoles?
    edited October 2009
    The Xbox 360 never had much backwards compatibility to begin with and the PS3's has long since been removed. Unless you buy a used PS3 from a few years ago with full backwards compatibility it's a moot point.
    edited October 2009
    Snark will refute me and say I'm a fanboy but I'm going to give you the straight facts as I have them.

My household has had six Xbox 360 consoles, and every single one of them has failed. My son's is currently in limbo waiting for a repair exchange as I write this. He is not happy, this is prime time Madden playing season for him and he is missing it. In all honesty I have never had a more unpleasant experience with a piece of consumer electronics than I have had dealing with Xbox 360 hardware.

Sincerely, if you have any itch to be a PC gamer at all, your money is far better spent building a machine from quality components than it is buying a console of questionable quality. If your a PC gamer, you really want that experience, its not like the console is going to scratch that itch for you, you are still going to end up wanting to upgrade that old PC, and the net effect is going to be a higher cost. I'm not knocking consoles, I have a Wii to play with my wife and kid, its practical for what it offers, I occasionally walk by a PS3 thinking, Damn you Tekken 6! Why are you not on PC! Ultimately, I would not trade my gaming PC for either of those experiences, and if you feel the same way, your money is far better spent there.

Do you have a budget you are looking to work with?
    edited October 2009
    And no 360 that you buy today will die.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Hey we've had this argument before. Crazy world mi'right?
  • _vRz__vRz_ Toronto
    edited October 2009
    You can still purchase an old PS3 off e-bay that has the full backward compatibility.

If it was me, I'd use that money to buy a new computer (which might mean more money than for a console) because of the huge online community that's available and the costs you'd save from buying console games.

However PS3's are a lot more powerful and the future gen for gaming (just not as much variety).

It all depends on what you game on most often.
  • edited October 2009
    Do you have old games? Why are you concerned with backwards compatibility? By the way, another PS3 vote here.
  • _vRz__vRz_ Toronto
    edited October 2009
    Personally, I bought PS3 with full compatibility - and its only worth it if you had PS2 games that you wanted to continue playing.
    edited October 2009
    Hey Frndz, don't be angry. Its not a war.
    I just want to know your experience about PC and console gaming and know from you which should I prefer, not cost wise but the gaming experience and perfromance wise. I want to spend money on only one thing PC or consoles. Well, as of backward compatibility, most of good games are available for PS2 I know so why I asked for backward compatibility. And one thing about game library, which one(PC/Xbox/PS3) has large game library? I have played at one of my frndz house POPwarrior within demo on his PC with game controller, it was an auwsome experience. I then purchased the game, but it is quite difficult to handle with keyboard mouse. I think handling of games in nice with gamepad controller than keyboard. Does all games on PC support for game controllers?

So, as of now if PC offers everything better comparable than consoles (eg. game library, long time good performance and gaming experience on HDTV, game controller support and everything the console supports), then i will better upgrade PC , if it offers long time stable upgrade i.e. the upgrade will last for longer time as like consoles, i no need to always check to upgrade PC, which is as I know not the case in consoles. I want one time better investment.

well, thanks buddies...
    edited October 2009
    Hey Frndz, don't be angry. Its not a war.
    I just want to know your experience about PC and console gaming and know from you which should I prefer, not cost wise but the gaming experience and perfromance wise. I want to spend money on only one thing PC or consoles. Well, as of backward compatibility, most of good games are available for PS2 I know so why I asked for backward compatibility. And one thing about game library, which one(PC/Xbox/PS3) has large game library? I have played at one of my frndz house POPwarrior within demo on his PC with game controller, it was an auwsome experience. I then purchased the game, but it is quite difficult to handle with keyboard mouse. I think handling of games in nice with gamepad controller than keyboard. Does all games on PC support for game controllers?

So, as of now if PC offers everything better comparable than consoles (eg. game library, long time good performance and gaming experience on HDTV, game controller support and everything the console supports), then i will better upgrade PC , if it offers long time stable upgrade i.e. the upgrade will last for longer time as like consoles, i no need to always check to upgrade PC, which is as I know not the case in consoles. I want one time better investment.

well, thanks buddies...

I think the mouse and keyboard is superior for first person action games, but if you learned on dual sticks first, I could see where the learning curve is. In either case there is some value to obtaining a 360 style controller for windows, because they are great in a range of other titles. I'm using it to play the most recent Prince of Persia game on PC right now.

This will work on PC just like it does on console.
  • edited October 2009
    most of good games are available for PS2 I know so why I asked for backward compatibility.

Well, you can buy a PS2 then, it is so cheap now. But you will be missing these games. :wink: You can even buy both of them, but I suspect you will not be using PS2 much.
  • _vRz__vRz_ Toronto
    edited October 2009
    I think you would get more out of a ps3 though. Sure, you dont get as many games as the x360, but a couple years from now - ps3 will be just as popular when prices go down and when more popular titles come out.

What kind of games do you like? Like Cliff mentioned, PC are excellent for first person action games, and strategy as well.

I actually haven't tried the 360 controller on a PC - hmmm might work well with my batman arkham asylum =) woot
    edited October 2009
    _vRz_ wrote:
    I think you would get more out of a ps3 though. Sure, you dont get as many games as the x360, but a couple years from now - ps3 will be just as popular when prices go down and when more popular titles come out.

What kind of games do you like? Like Cliff mentioned, PC are excellent for first person action games, and strategy as well.

I actually haven't tried the 360 controller on a PC - hmmm might work well with my batman arkham asylum =) woot

The 360 USB controller is literally plug and play on a great number of modern PC titles. Its that easy, plug it in, if its a port of a 360 game it autoconfigures the controls to work just as they would on 360. Just like playing it on the Xbox, except without the occasional RROD of course.
    edited October 2009
    The 360 controller works pretty well but I only used it for sports games. If you do end up buying one for your PC I would suggest you use a wired controller. I only had wireless controllers from my Xbox 360 so I had to buy the wireless receiver for it to work on the PC. Unfortunately the wireless receiver is terrible and broke after about a month. After some digging I found that it was a very common occurrence which really sucks.
    edited October 2009
    Hi frndz,
    Thanks for your reply,
    Now i deceded for Xbox 360, as i have experienced the same at zapak gameplex. what you say?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You'll be happy with your choice. :)
  • _vRz__vRz_ Toronto
    edited October 2009
    grats! Happy Gaming!! =) 360 is also a great choice
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    just got a 360 for myself, Find myself playing more and more, I think the only game fo the PC that i am looking at buying soon is Dragon age, The blizzard games yes but who know when they will hit shelves