HTC Sensation 4G discussion/FAQ

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
Alright, I know more than a few people (myself included) are totally amped for the HTC Sensation 4G, so I'm throwing this thread together to keep people in the loop.

Launch Event
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IT5Oc0wxfA&feature=player_embedded

Specifications
  • CPU: Qualcomm MSM8260
  • GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 220
  • RAM: 768MB
  • ROM: 4GB
  • Storage: 1GB
  • Display: Samsung Super LCD
    • Size: 4.3"
    • Resolution: 960x540 (16:9 qHD)
    • Gorilla Glass: Yes
  • SD Card: 8GB (32GB max)
  • Radio: 800/1700/2100MHz HSPA
    • Speed: 14.4Mbps down
    • Compatible carriers: See confirmed carriers list
  • Data Inputs: A-GPS, ambient light sensor, digital compass, G-sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor
  • Connectivity: 3.5mm jack, Bluetooth 3.0, FM stereo, MicroUSB, HDMI (via MHL), 802.11b/g/n
  • Dimensions: 4.96" tall x 2.57" wide x .44" thick

Software
The HTC Sensation 4G uses Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) with HTC Sense 3.0. Please see the included launch video for additional information on the newest version of Sense.

Confirmed Carriers
  • Europe:
    • Vodafone UK
    • Orange UK
    • T-Mobile UK
    • O2 UK
    • Three UK
  • United States:
    • T-Mobile
    • Sprint (EVO 3D)
  • Canada:
    • Bell Mobility

Root Status
The HTC Sensation 4G is currently ROOTED. Dev team AlphaRevX achieved permanent root on July 19, 2011.

What is root?
Root enables users and applications with the ability to directly access the Android filesystem for a variety of purposes. Potential benefits include: migrating installed apps to SD, removing carrier crapware, CPU overclocking, SMS/application data backups, build.prop tweaks, WiFi/USB tethering and more.

Bootloader Status
The bootloader for the HTC Sensation 4G is UNLOCKED. Dev team AlphaRevX achieved a permanent bootloader crack on July 19, 2011.

What is the bootloader?
The bootloader is one of the lowest levels found in an Android phone, and it is responsible for moving the Android OS into RAM and starting it. In order to flash custom ROMs, this bootloader must be unlocked.

If the bootloader is not unlocked, the custom ROM you've flashed will not match the signature the bootloader is looking for and the OS will fail to boot. If the bootloader is unlocked, then it will not care what ROM it is attempting to start, so long as that ROM is compatible with the phone in question.

There are two ways that this bootloader can be protected:

Locked Bootloader
The device is designed to prevent access to the bootloader. Locked loaders can be broken 99.9% of the time, if they're not already configured with a back door that can be accessed by savvy users (Nexus One, Nexus S and Xoom).

Encrypted Bootloader
Encrypted bootloaders are digitally signed with an encryption routine, as are the kernels they are booting. These digital signatures are private and proprietary to the manufacturer. Unless an exploit is found, the encryption is broken or the bootloader can be bypassed, devices with encrypted bootloaders will never have custom ROMs.

If exploits or bypasses are found, they are typically only effective to the extent that the phone's stock kernel (reading: What is a kernel?) and Android OS allow. In most cases, that limits developers to customizing the version of Android already on the phone, forbids upgrades to newer Android revisions and prevents them from offering new kernels. The final point is especially disappointing: new kernels are a major source of performance, battery life and reliability enhancements.

Long story short, a locked bootloader is annoying, but generally a "good thing." An encrypted bootloader, on the other hand, is likely to put you at the permanent mercy of your manufacturer and carrier.
ยซ1

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Not Sprint. Don't care. Awaiting arrival of EVO 3D.
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    The EVO 3D is virtually identical, except 1GB RAM and the MSM8660. ;) Truthfully, I wish the Sensation had 1GB RAM. I hope on of the 1700MHz carriers will release a variant with it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    ORANGE
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    Not Sprint. Don't care. Awaiting arrival of EVO 3D.
    edited April 2011
    You should care. The EVO 3D is the Sprint version of the Sensation.
    edited April 2011
    okay, so make this the Sensation|Evo3D thread if they are the same phone... ;)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Evo 3D is going to have an autostereoscopic screen, right? I'm in love with that technology, but I have to wonder if it'll tank the battery life on that thing. Can the effect be toggled?

I keep thinking about your comments regarding the Sensation's performance with Sense. I doubt that it would make a difference to me, but I still feel like I want that raw, optimized performance.
    edited April 2011
    yes, the Evo3D has a 2D|3D toggle switch, just watch one of the hands on videos
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    You can avoid a lot of the Sense performance hit just by replacing the launcher. Boom, all widgets and jazz disabled. It's not a clean wipe (rosie's still on the device), but it's a good start.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    June 8th.... June 8th... Oh, please come soon. :)
    edited May 2011
    FAQ updated.
    edited May 2011
    So what are you thinking, Thrax? Locked bootloader still a deal breaker, or are you going to wait it out and see if it opens up?

I'm getting this phone, but I can't decide what to do with it. I love T-mo, but I don't want to be a part of AT&T. (well, if my T-mo plan is grandfathered, I may still consider it for another 2 years).

I don't like Verizon. I might consider Sprint, but I haven't really looked into it much. IC peeps seem pretty happy with Sprint.

I would love to stick with T-mo to get the renewal discount on that phone.
    edited May 2011
    I'm not all that impressed with the Sensation 4G in light of the Galaxy S II's performance.

The SGS2 has already been rooted and unlocked, scores more than double what the S4G does in Quadrant, has 16x the user-accessible internal storage, +256MB more ram, and a screen that has quite literally the best contrast and battery life of any dual core phone.

Truly, the only thing the S4G can count as an advantage is its higher resolution and its aluminum body.

The mystery meat in this argument is carrier support: it's not yet known if T-Mo will offer an SGSII variant, but it's likely for AT&T/Sprint/VZW.

There's also the small matter of the HTC-built Nexus 3 coming out in the fall. That's less than four months away, and it will have a quad core CPU, unlocked bootloader, 1280x720 screen, at least 1GB of ram, a 4"+ display and the world's first Ice Cream Sandwich install. It trumps all of these devices in a big way, and it's not all that far off. It's one of those unique opportunities to buy a device that doesn't get obsoleted very quickly, and support from the big G will ensure a 100% pure AOSP install, and an unlocked dev environment.

At this point, I think if an SGS2 variant doesn't come out for T-Mo, I'm just going to wait and see.
    edited May 2011
    Hmm, interesting. SGS2 sounds pretty nice.

The Nexus 3 is certainly going to rock, but four months is a LOOONNNG time for me to wait with my phone. This G1 is frigging dead. It was rocking for awhile when rooted, but the thing is just too slow. I can hardly stand to wait another month, let alone 4.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm
    owns one

/me enjoys the hell out of it

/me acknowledges the other benefits of the SGSII, but is ok with that.
    Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    owns one

/me enjoys the hell out of it

/me acknowledges the other benefits of the SGSII, but is ok with that.
    edited May 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Hmm, interesting. SGS2 sounds pretty nice.

The Nexus 3 is certainly going to rock, but four months is a LOOONNNG time for me to wait with my phone. This G1 is frigging dead. It was rocking for awhile when rooted, but the thing is just too slow. I can hardly stand to wait another month, let alone 4.

Describe "too slow." Are you suggesting performance has degraded over time? If so, there are fixes.
    edited May 2011
    It's just... I don't know. It hangs whenever I try to do anything. Hit the home button - hangs on a black screen while it thinks. Incoming call? Delay of 3 or 4 seconds after I hit the answer button before it picks up. Some times pictures shot with the camera don't save at all. Yesterday, the microSD card un-mounted itself while I was using the phone. Just all sorts of weird things. I don't think it's a free space issue, but I dunno.

Ultimately, I think a lot of the features of Froyo are too intensive for the old hardware.
    edited May 2011
    If you'll be at EPIC, I can fix those things permanently.
    edited May 2011
    Right on. I'll be there.
    edited June 2011
    Official pricing and release date has been announced. Hitting shevles June 15th. It'll be $299 after a 2 yr contract and a $50 mail in rebate (bleh :-/)
    edited June 2011
    According to a few sites, the SGS2 is destined for TMo shortly after all.
    edited June 2011
    OH MAN... what to do... Sensation or wait for the SGS2.... OH the decisions!!!
    edited June 2011
    Thrax, when is the SGS2 rumored release? August? September?
    edited June 2011
    No info. If it's like the other carriers, late July.
    edited June 2011
    Some solid benchmarks for the Sensation...
    • Quadrant Benchmark: 2,311
    • AuTutu Benchmark: 3,247

I ran the same benchmarks on my non-rooted HTC G2
    • Quadrant Benchmark: 1,441 (60% slower)
    • AuTutu Benchmark: 1,517 (110% slower)

Wonder what some of you Rooted G2 folks are getting on their scores.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-Sensation-4G-for-T-Mobile-benchmark-tests_id19325
    edited June 2011
    The SGS2 scores 4000+ in Quadrant. Over 5k with overclocks.
    edited June 2011
    HTC Evo4G 3D

June 24th on Sprint, $199
    edited June 2011
    And... HTC Sensation is available at Walmart for $149. w/ 2 year contract.
    edited June 2011
    Before being Rooted by Thrax for my HTC G2
    • Quadrant Benchmark: 1,441
    • AuTutu Benchmark: 1,517

After being rooted...
    • Quadrant Benchmark: 2,092 (47% faster)
    • AuTutu Benchmark: 1,660 (10% Faster)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I don't have a before root set of stats, but after:

HTC Incredible with CM7 and ADWLauncher

Quadrant: 1466
    Antutu: 1999