HTC Sensation 4G discussion/FAQ

2»

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thrax - are you at all worried about the Samsung Galaxy S 2's update cycle? I know you've voiced frustrations with Samsung's lack of device updates in the past (when I was organically thinking about the Galaxy S 1)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    At this point, it doesn't matter what Samsung's update cycle's going to be. The device is fully unlockable and well-supported in the community. If Ice Cream Sandwich comes out and Samsung doesn't release a timely update, XDA will.
    edited July 2011
    That's what I figured, but having no experience with such a thing, didn't want to assume. Sweet.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Not only is it unlocked and rooted (within days of launch), Samsung has been sending SGS2s to the leaders of the CyanogenMod project with words of encouragement.

My only gripe about Samsung is their plasticky build quality, but the internals, dimensions and the screen can't be trifled with.

Alas, if only I could wedge the SGS2's hardware into a Sensation body, screen and all.
    edited July 2011
    The SGS2 does have gorilla glass, right? So at least there's that. I do love the aluminum unibody of the Sensation though. That would be nice on the SGS2.

Has anyone heard anything about the SGS2 on T-Mo yet? I seem to be seeing a lot of unconfirmed rumor types on the web.
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure why you prefer the SGSII's screen over the Sensation's, Rob. The Sensation's is higher-density and equivalent IQ, from what I've seen. Anything in particular?
    edited July 2011
    Better colors and battery life out of SAMOLED+. 218 vs. 256ppi is somewhat trivial to me given the SGS2's other significant merits.
    edited July 2011
    So this is interesting - word on the street says T-Mo will be getting that Galaxy S 2 in a new variant called "Hercules". This phone will rock a larger 4.5 inch screen, plus a 1.5ghz dual core processor from Qualcomm. (APQ8060). This would come at the expense of a little bit larger dimensions for the device. The timeframe apparently is August.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/173443/20110702/samsung-hercules-galaxy-s2-iphone-5-google-nexus-4g-samsung-nexus-prime.htm
    edited July 2011
    Most other rumors have placed this device later in the year, Oct/Nov, around the time of the Nexus Prime's launch, which would be a very bad place to be for the Hercules.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    OH STOP... I skipped the Sensation in favor of the GS2 out in late July (rumor)... and now it will be better than that and in August or Oct.... Oh the pain of waiting... I haven't felt this swept up with excitement and knowing everyday new stuff is being released that is better than yesterday...

uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhhuhhhhhh
    edited July 2011
    Alright, guys, here's how it goes:

SENSATION 4G: Launched. Inferior to SGS2.

GALAXY S2: Rumored for Sprint/Verizon/AT&T any day now. No mention of T-Mo, but possible.

HERCULES: SGS2 on steroids, rumored for T-Mo, possible Oct/Nov.

Nexus Prime: The next Nexus phone, a real ass-beater with a 720p screen, a quad core Tegra 3 (or 1.5GHz dual core Exynos by other rumors), and a 100% clean Android install with updates governed by Google. Possible Oct/Nov. Did I mention the launch platform for Ice Cream Sandwich?

With us nearing the fall launch season, I'm waiting for the Prime. Every so often a phone comes by that isn't quickly obsoleted, and the Prime is one of those phones. And as a pure AOSP handset serving as ICS' launch vehicle, you can bet the bootloader will be unlockable with a simple command.

If I can limp along with my BlackBerry, you bitches can wait with me. >:|
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    If I can limp along with my BlackBerry, you bitches can wait with me. >:|

... dude. That's my line. :P
    edited July 2011
    HNNNNGGGGGGG~~~

For me, it's going to come down to whether or not the SGS2 is released for T-Mobile. If the SGS2 is released on T-mo this month, I'll upgrade to it. If not announced and the only handset is available on T-mo in the fall, then I'm going to wait for the Nexus Prime. No reason to buy the Hercules if the Prime is right there with it.

kljs;lfkhkwhefksjdf
    edited July 2011
    If I am still with my G2 in 2015 cuz "it's only a few weeks/months until the best phone comes out" I will rip you all to shred you all!!! :grr:

;)
    edited July 2011
    Hell or high water, the Prime is my phone. I will switch carriers if I must.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Nexus Prime: The next Nexus phone, a real ass-beater with a 720p screen, a quad core Tegra 3 (or 1.5GHz dual core Exynos by other rumors), and a 100% clean Android install with updates governed by Google. Possible Oct/Nov. Did I mention the launch platform for Ice Cream Sandwich?

I knew I was waiting for something. :D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm really hoping this comes to Verizon as well.
    edited August 2011
    Need my fix... any new info? Any... please.... I jones-ing bad here.... :zombie:
    edited August 2011
    (PS, Alpha Rev and fre3vo have S-OFFed the Sensation with Revolutionary.)
    edited August 2011
    Yup, about 2 days ago now.

In other news, the Samsung Hercules is rumored for September 21.
    edited August 2011
    If that's true, I'm definitely waiting on the Prime.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm waiting for the Prime anyways at this point.
    edited August 2011
    Yup. The Prime is my boy. The next big leap in smartphone CPUs isn't until mid/late 2012, so the end of this year will be a great time to buy.

Lots of strong contenders this year, though: NVIDIA Tegra 3, TI OMAP4, Qualcomm's 4th-gen Snapdragon, etc.
    edited August 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    (PS, Alpha Rev and fre3vo have S-OFFed the Sensation with Revolutionary.)
    Can you translate?
    edited August 2011
    Two groups of 3rd-party devs (AlphaRevX and Fre3vo) have teamed up to root and unlock the bootloader for the Sensation and EVO 3D using a tool called Revolutionary.
    edited August 2011
    Gotcha... ;)
    edited August 2011
    Has anyone actually confirmed that the Prime is using TI's dual core 1.5ghz proc rather than the rumored quad core?

I'm down with either, I just keep seeing both getting tossed around in the briefs.
    edited August 2011
    At this point the TI seems more likely, as the OMAP4 is the first chip to get Netflix HD-certified and is already shipping. Guess what has a 720p HD screen?
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I JUST read that today. A 720p display is going to frigging melt faces.