USB voltage issues

2»

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Case grounding issues are a possibility though I feel it's unlikely since the case is so huge and there's so much space, plus usually grounding issues are worked out when replacing a motherboard which I just did, but I'm not dismissing it as a possibility.

I also thought maybe that I have a defective USB cable or external device plugged in. I'm going to start eliminating non-essential devices for a bit and see what happens (printers, etc.)

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited February 2016

Is there something on the same house circuit that switches on and spikes/lags the power? Have you tried moving it to another circuit if you can't use a UPS?

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2016

Since you have come this far I see no harm in trying the old tried and true method. Remove EVERYTHING from the case and test on the static bag on top of the box. Do it by adding every single component one by one. Install the dimms one at a time at first in each slot then both. This will take a substantial amount of time but stress as you go and stress hard for extended periods of time. If by the time you finish and still have a problem I would move it to a different power source. Be it off conditioned power or a new location.

I also recommend using a bios level memtest for the dimms and stress with Prime. So Prime needs to use Prime. (Remember all this from a time long ago in a galaxy not so far away? )

primesuspectGarg

One of the things I did two days ago was run Memtest from a USB stick for almost four hours. It passed 100%.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Did you ever test the outlet? You also never answered about the UPS. How about setting the rig up in a different room and testing again?

I don't have a UPS and I'm pretty reasonably sure it's not the outlet since we have all brand-new electrical but moving it to another room and testing it is not really practical since the problem only rears up every day or two and I cannot reliably reproduce it.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

You still have to try and rule out incoming power. And why don't you have a UPS?

Mt_GoatCB
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@BlackHawk said:
    You still have to try and rule out incoming power. And why don't you have a UPS?

Because Bobby won't move in.

ardichoke
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2016

Somehow, I think the real reason is that the ghost of Dan Sullivan likes messing with your shit. Wait till your mouse moves by itself.