Raiding is Expensive in Legion: good article
A good read on the costs of raiding this expansion: flasks, potions, and food.
Some interesting discussion points:
- Blizzard's crackdown on gold farmers/bots/hacked accounts have affected the economy by decreasing the number of bots farming mats
- Draenor had an herb garden
- Scarcity, scarcity, scarcity (in terms of Starlight Rose)
- People were a bit spoiled with gold in Draenor and not used to paying for things
- Blizzard intervened in 7.1 with the Blood vendor but it's not having a major effect