Checking Port Scanning

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I have a Linksys router (BFSR41) attached to my cable modem. Lot's of time I see the internet activity light blinking like mad when no one is actively using the net. The only lights blinking are the internet activity light on the cable modem and the WAN light on the Linksys.

I assume this means that something (external) is scanning my ports. Am I right? What can I do to find out who/what is doing this. There are no computers in the DMZ.

Prof:aol:

Comments

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You may be getting snooped on but as long as you have "accept no connections" enabled in the router setup, you should be ok.

Also, some ISP's ping you themselves, does this happen frequently and for long period's of time? Have you done a sweep of your system(s) with an adaware type app lately?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    There are also programs like Windows Time running that update and sync your clock every so often.

Also other auto-updaters could be arsing about, but, it could be portscans, my router keeps getting them all the time.

NS
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited July 2003
    If you want to see what is going on (TCP/UDP/ICMP wise), just login to the router and view the access logs. It will show you all incoming and outgoing traffic. It keeps a fairly good sized history.

Note that you will see some activity that the router will not log in the form of ARP requests from the network. ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) is used by you network provider's router to determine who has what IP addresses and the MAC address that it is bound to.