logging in and new posts

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited February 2004 in Community
recently i've noticed that when i log in after viewing as a guest my new posts are cleared... any way around this?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Well, easiest way is to either login first or to accept a cookie and let the site log you in automatically.

Bascialy, guest ID is a limited ID, and it tracks spearate from your logged in ID. Session and ID are tied together, so when you login as YOU the guest session is abandoned and all the things that session tracked are gone.

If session and ID were not tied, only one guest could be on at any one time-- we have many guests, if you look at the number of users online. Think of guest as a spefic ID that many folks can use at once, but each session gets guest privileges and tracking. Each user has its own session. Guest is a user to the web feed server.

It is theoretically possible to take a session and change privileges and carry over the things that track your new posts list, but not without the server having to do a lot of work per user online to do this. In this case, doing that would limit how many folks could be on at once. With the extra processing to fix what you would like to have happen, fewer folks could be connected and have good fast sessions that react fast for all users while that was happening.

So, yes, there is a way, but it is not very likely it will happen any time soon. Too much server load impact involved in doing it. The sites that allow this use multiple servers to feed.

John D.