Magic: The Gathering format: Pack War (Icrontic style)
It's pretty simple.
- Open 2 packs.
- Remove the token + land. Do not look at the rest of the pack.
- Add 3 of each basic land.
- Shuffle & play. Normal rules (best of 3, 20 life, etc).
You get a free mulligan if you draw all lands or no lands (and reveal your hand). Otherwise, no mulligan.
This checks a lot of boxes:
- Nearly zero setup time.
- No collection necessary.
- Still a good skills challenge.
- Fun way to open packs via game.
The "official" Pack Wars (aka Mini-Master) format is to play with only 1 pack. @Soda and I played with 2 over the weekend and that seemed about perfect so I'm sticking with that at the moment. We had a couple blowouts, but most of the matches were surprisingly challenging and great games. In our second game, we managed to open 3 mythics in 4 packs between us and go thru all of them in 1 game.
Highly suggest this for a boardgame-length Magic duel. I have plenty of packs to support this.