Expo 2018: Request for Proposals / Volunteers
Hello again! If you haven't seen it yet, read the Expo 2018 pre-announcement.
Two important things to discuss, today: proposals & jobs!
First thing: JOBS
We discovered some "positions of responsibility" were added with great effect in 2017, so we're doing it again this year. I've now reached out to folks who had these jobs last year. Here's a few specific ones I need volunteers for that we didn't coordinate ahead of time last year:
- Swag Co-Czars (2): Bundle t-shirt, badge, 10 starter tickets, and any other swag for every attendee. This must be done on Wednesday afternoon at the latest; Tuesday night is better. You need to proactively pester Linc & Brian for the things you need to accomplish this.
- Magic: The Gathering Coordinator: While I'm happy to provide booster backs & general structure for this event, I'd appreciate an interested member handling the actual execution. That includes starting on time, distributing supplies, and managing the clock. You can definitely also participate. I expect this to be a 4-hour event between Thu and Sat.
- Giant Catan Coordinator: We have the set, now we need the game-runner. This is typically a 20-person team game in the backyard, subject to weather-based scheduling. This includes setup and careful cleanup & storage of the set (with the help of anyone you choose). This is approximately a 3-hour event if I recall correctly.
- Sanitation Czar: This is not a cleaning job. This position is for periodically monitoring trash, recycling, TP, and paper towel levels and kindly asking others to help with these tasks as-needed. Also periodically check on the bathrooms & dishwasher and see if there are any problems that need to be escalated to residents or otherwise delegated. Be the all-seeing-knower (not doer) of where supplies are, where the mountain of recycling goes, and who's available to take out garbage.
- Ticket Czar: Make sure each event coordinator has access to tickets and understands the ticketing scale. Make sure Lincoln actually knows what ticketing scale we're using beforehand. We will provide the tickets.
I will announce any other coordinators needed in this discussion as I think of / discover them.
Second thing: PROPOSALS
Do you have something you want to run an event for this year? Hit me up with a proposal by April 1.
- It should support at least 8 people.
- Ideally able to be scheduled any time Thu-Sat.
- 4-hour hard time limit. 90 minutes is better and more likely to make it.
- We can probably only do 1 not-already-set field trip event, and it would need to be finished before lunch.
Due to the very limited number of time slots (we run about half as many events as we did in, say, 2009 because it was crazy), please don't be offended if I decline your proposal and definitely do not then counter-schedule events that take folks away from the event venue Thu-Sat. Try something new that we're organizing! It's a ton of work to get this many people together so please respect that time & effort.